Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times

Advertisements

$2000-3000??
Hell no.

But the new nano-ceramic coatings that you can apply yourself for anywhere from $30-$90 actually work superbly if you follow the directions exactly.
I used the least expensive/most work product (Boss nano 365 I think) and it gave my 2016 Lexus a phenomenal glass-like surface that beaded rain drops on a deeply shiny body for almost six months!

Way better than regular wax.. and my car is not garaged... in FL.
I haven't tried 'em all, but I will continue to explore the new stuff till something even better comes along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 05:55 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I just use paste wax with good UV protectors on my cars, even my satin cars, and that works fine for me. However, they sit under sheets in the garage, so they never really see the sun, except when I drive one of them.

My one son has an 08 Dodge Ram pickup that literally looks better than the day it was brand new. He details it once a week or two, and he uses only Auto Geek products. One of the products he uses is their ceramic coating:

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-cc36-...c-coating.html

I think he applies it annually, his truck actually sees the sun here in Florida, and the paint is perfect. He swears by it. I think he said it is a little work to do it initially, but nothing horrible.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:13 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
It's ALL a waste of money and time IF you don't claybar the car first. That, is what makes it shine for a long time.

Even new cars (especially), you should clay the car first thing in my opinion. You'd be surprised at how much rail dust in stuck in that clear coat from the shipping. The sticky residue left over from the wrapping of the car to ship, acts like a magnet for crud in about the first 1,000 miles. On both of my current and past VW's GTI's, I bought new, both white. First clay bar on each resulted in the clay bar itself looking like a yellow bar of soap afterwards. Sooo much junk in the paint from shipping, was totally amazed.

I clay/polish/wax my cars once every two years or so. I do it when they're new, and then do it again after a couple of years. It's a weekend job, no doubt about it, but the results are stunning every time and they last a long long time.

Nano, polymer, ultra-uber-turbo wax/paste/whatever. All pretty good stuff in general, but a waste of time if you don't clay bar the car before you do it.

Me, I use Mequires polish and wax after I clay with a 10' random buffer (a cheapo). They all look great!

Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Are they a good idea? We are buying a new car next year and I have read about different coatings that can be applied.
No, I do not think "they a good idea?"

My new Ford Van is 19 years old, has the original good paint job, it was garaged about 8 years...

My wife's 10 year old Hyundai has the original paint.

I've had several other new cars over the years with original paint lasted.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Bumping this old thread.

1. Ceramic coatings can be done DIY for under $50.
2. They last a good 2 years. That's a long enough time to balance out the cost and time to apply. It makes car cleaning and maintenance easier.
3. It's not a miracle type product but it is paint protection.

Go to 6:58 on this video to see how to apply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hDpIAK7Ns

Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Don't need this.
I'm going to wax my car today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Had a REALLY bad experience with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer: while yes, it does make a hydrophobic coating, your microfiber "lint" will be permanently stuck to ANY auto glass through dozens of car washes.
I've never had this problem and have been using it for years.
Go to any car show and you'll see Mequiar's Quik Detailer being used by the gallon.

I hardly ever wash my Merkur, but it's constantly getting Quik Detailed. It looks perfect (for a 45K mile survivor) all the time.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-21-2019 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 06:00 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Spend the money on proper ppf.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
As son as I figure out what PPF is I'll take it into consideration.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Paint protection film. Expensive and you can't DIY.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:17 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Quote:
~$1500 for product and install should get all of the high risk areas covered. 3m also makes one and there is another called sun guard. Any new car of substantial cost should get one unless you lease or don’t plan to keep.

https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-protection-film

Here’s a link of what ppf and what ceramic do. Many people will get ppf on the front and high traffic areas then get ceramic on the rest of body.

http://exclusivedetail.com/paint-pro...ramic-coating/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive