Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:17 AM

496 posts, read 445,958 times

Advertisements

What's your preferred interior color on a car?

I had a Dodge Charger rental for a few months, black exterior with an all black interior. Surprised it wasn't as hot as I expected it would get in the sun. I know it's meant to look sporty, but I didn't care for an all black interior. On a dark cloudy day it got depressing, felt like being in a cave to me. Plus it always showed dust.

A lot of cars I like, it seems like the black interior is very popular. Some trim levels, such as sporty ones, it's the only color choice.

I've always liked a beige interior best, doesn't show dust as much and makes the interior seem bigger and cheerier. Only issue I've seen is have to go over it occasionally with a magic eraser or something to get smudges, oils and such off the grab handles and steering wheel, etc as they show.

Gray is a compromise I could possibly live with, but black and beige seem the most common these days, or a combination of the two. Or maybe it's a darker gray that looks almost black.

I've seen red making a comeback some. I remember when cars had red interiors but I was never a big fan of it, blue a little more. A green interior a little more. Have seen cars with orange upholstery also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 10:27 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Not black. Too hot.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:11 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Blue fabric. Leather is too hot. Beige or gray gets dirty too easily.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:58 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Makers cheap out on everything. It is much cheaper to run blend black all around than to come up with color combinations.
Also, new cars have some sort of windshield and glass coating that reduces glare and heat. Though you can't tint them anymore. Coating scratches easily.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:28 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
The last car I had had tan leather. It looked great new. But after a few years, it was just dirty. To the point that no level of cleaning would get all the stains out. True it doesn't show dust, but dust can be removed. The ground in dirt and such could not.

So when I recently bought a new car, I got black leather (black exterior). A good vacuum, and it looks great. I live in Texas, and I didn't notice it being any hotter this summer than my last car.

I just don't like leather that isn't black or tan (or brown). Other colors (like red and grey) just aren't found in nature, and so just look fake to me. A light grey is also going to show just as much dirt as a tan interior.

I don't like fabric interiors.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:34 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Black or charcoal grey.

Dark carpet and floor mats are also a must.

What I don't like in modern interiors is that alot of the plastics used these days really seem to attract lint and dust even on the vertical surfaces.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:14 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
I saw a King Ranch Ford with a color of leather that I would call 'saddle brown'. The exterior was red with silver trim. Sharp looking truck.

I had tan on a previous truck and I just could NOT keep it clean looking. Now have black and I think it DOES get hotter than lighter colors.

I think I will look for charcoal grey next time.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:57 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Blue fabric. Leather is too hot. Beige or gray gets dirty too easily.

It's not that beige or gray gets dirty too easily, but that they show the dirt more. All colors get dirty.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:09 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
A lot of cars offer an all black option. I agree it can start to feel a bit dark.

I have a Charger, but it is black with red leather seat inserts and door cards. Brightens it up a lot. I have seen them with light cream inserts in place of the red which looks nice too (but also looks like a dirt stain looking for a place to happen).

Wife's outback has dark charcoal grey seats and interior, but the headliner and pillar covers are a very light cream, which helps prevent the dark cave feel.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:30 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Black

I do like some of the seat options that offer a two tone feature to get some color in the interior, but I prefer my dash/console/carpet black
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive