Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Perhaps your friend should have dumped the funds used to keep all of those cars, into just 1-3 cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
They WERE junkers. They ARE junkers. If one or two out of 10 will start, the other eight are junkers.

he has plenty of money thank you. and no they are not junkers, they just tended to sit a long periods of time with out being run. batteries go dead over time from just sitting, you know that. but every vehicle was fully operational and in good overall condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
sorry about your Malibu.
i hope no one was hurt.
our 2004 Malibu still runs fine.

"Could it be worth owning two vehicles or best to stick with one?"

if you are the only driver for both and if both vehicles are used when you buy them, yes.
of course, your insurance costs might go up depending upon exactly how your Malibu was totaled.

if you buy a new car, stick with that one.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:07 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
he has plenty of money thank you. and no they are not junkers, they just tended to sit a long periods of time with out being run. batteries go dead over time from just sitting, you know that. but every vehicle was fully operational and in good overall condition.
Dealers have to have this problem. Looking at rotors tells you to a point. What were some of the 10 cars?

Old 11-18-2018, 05:24 PM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
I have a van for my day job...an outback for my “personal” use. Love having the options.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:11 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
I have two almost identical cars. The nicer one gets driven about 5k miles a year, while the one used for work sees about 60k miles annually. Someday the nice (low mileage) one will become my daily driver, but not yet.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:05 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I recently totaled my Chevy Malibu. Debating whether to purchase an equivalent vehicle OR purchase two less expensive vehicles.

An uncle is selling a 10 year old SUV with low miles and I can get a good deal for it. I was thinking about buying this to drive in the winter and a compact car (with excellent gas mileage) maybe around 4-5 years old to drive the rest of the year. Compact cars are easier to park and have excellent gas mileage but don't seem as safe as mid size.

My commute is nearly 100 miles round trip (almost all highway miles).

Thought a second vehicle could come in handy when I am in a bind (due to vehicle needing repairs or the like). I've had to rent a car on a few occasions this past year.

Could it be worth owning two vehicles or best to stick with one?
If there's no storage issues, I would recommend getting 2 and using the right tool for the task.

Wife and I have 3 cars....a Grand Cherokee Jeep, Charger Hellcat and BMW 228I...I'm trying to limit the miles on my Hellcat so I only take it out when the weather and road conditions suit doing so but under the right conditions, what a blast.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 PM

430 posts, read 556,429 times
Three cars between two drivers is ideal. We have one SUV for family/road trips, one commuter car, and one fun car (Mustang Cobra convertible). The Cobra qualifies for collector insurance, so it doesn't cost much to keep it in the garage most of the time. If it's just you, the extra insurance costs can hurt. Make sure you get a quote before you take the two car plunge.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Dealers have to have this problem. Looking at rotors tells you to a point. What were some of the 10 cars?

two corvettes, a first gen Z28 camaro, a pontiac phoenix, a pontiac ventura, an olds delta 88, a ford station wagon(full size) three cadillacs from 1979, and a lincoln towncar also from 1979. his daily driver a the time was a mid 90s camery.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:00 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Sounds like you are single. Your insurance company will steal 80% of the full rate from you on your second car, even though your exposure will remain exactly the same. They are already licking their lips.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:09 PM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Thanks for all the responses. I was feeling pretty good about this idea until reading the following post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Sounds like you are single. Your insurance company will steal 80% of the full rate from you on your second car, even though your exposure will remain exactly the same. They are already licking their lips.
That's one of the things I was concerned about. Although it doesn't make sense since one can only drive one car at a time.

If work was not so far form home, I'd buy two beaters and just get liability coverage.

Last edited by Drago45; 11-18-2018 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive