Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 01:13 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Those super bright lights come in handy when you're driving down a dark country road that doesn't have streetlights though.
That is what high-beams are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 04:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
This isn't a trend since it goes back decades now, but I really hate painted bumpers. It used to be if you were involved in a slow collision, the hard rubber bumpers took it without complaint. I was rear-ended a couple times in the mid-80s while stopped at lights, and there was no damage. Now it's hundreds of dollars to repair the dent and paint it. (Never got hit with chrome bumpers, but those couldn't have been as bad, either.)
Chrome rear bumper on the Tahoe got slightly hit, cost $800 to replace since it could not be fixed perfect.

Yea, took a hammer and beat it out to "good enough" and pocketed the money.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:26 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They remind me of LED flashlights, look at them from a slight angle and they don’t seem so bright, but look at them head on and they’ll burn out your retinas.
It really is crazy it literally hurts your eyes sometimes I do all I can to get from in front of these vehicles because there lights are so freaking bright I wonder if they are aware that there lights are hazardous to folks with good eyes.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I noticed the guy didn't mention the worst offender of all, those God awful, super bright headlights, that do nothing but blind people.
I think the government , in the interest of public safety,should make a law banning them, and mandate that those on vehicles presently, must be removed.

For years and years many of us relied on the good old sealbeams, and there were no complaints.

Some times newer isn't always better.

Bob.
Actually there WERE complaints about sealed beams (not sealbeams), and people trying to get the better lighting out of Europe. So the government (which as was mentioned, was always behind the times) finally allowed upgraded lighting AS A SAFETY MEASURE!

You ever hear the phrase "outdrive your headlights?" Well, at night that's what happens when your barreling along at the speed limit with outdated lighting. Modern lighting also has improved beam patterns so that the lights are beamed more to the passenger side and down the side of the shoulder so you can see things like deer and pedestrians farther in advance. Get your eyes checked, as you're the one with the problem, not the lights.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I believe the big part of the problem with these blinding headlights are that they aren’t being properly aligned either at the factory or dealership prior to sale. Another issue is vehicles ride height being changed (larger rims/tires and or lift kits) thus changing the aim of the headlights.
The taller vehicles are definitely the worst offenders. But not the only ones.

I estimate that 25% of newer vehicles blind oncomers (or the cars in front of them) even with low beams.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
The humongous side lights on some of the newer model SUVs are distracting my driving.
Cars are really starting to look very futuristic also in general. Soon we will have wings

Old 11-29-2018, 10:18 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
How about how difficult cars are to work on these days?

Want to change the battery on your Dodge Stratus? Remove the front left wheel, splash guard and a bracket. Some of today's Cadillacs have their starters in the V channel under the intake manifold.
I had a '88 Firebird with a TPI 350 in it. To get to the two rear spark plugs, you had to put it on a lift and access them from underneath.

Why can't they make them easier to work on, at least for common items like above?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:30 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
How about how difficult cars are to work on these days?

Want to change the battery on your Dodge Stratus? Remove the front left wheel, splash guard and a bracket. Some of today's Cadillacs have their starters in the V channel under the intake manifold.
I had a '88 Firebird with a TPI 350 in it. To get to the two rear spark plugs, you had to put it on a lift and access them from underneath.

Why can't they make them easier to work on, at least for common items like above?

I don't think many folks can work on new cars now. I have a degree in auto tech from a vocational school (from 1977). I looked under the hood of my 2016 Prius C and just thought, "Whewie!"

I'm very grateful that it's a low-maintenance car.

And the battery is under the back seat (both traction battery and 12-v battery).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive