Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
You'll have to pay California sales tax, cause you bought something in CA. Then you'll have to pay the additional sales tax when you register it in another state.

I believe a dealership has to register with the DMV the sale of the car and the new owner. And you have to pay for it.

When you pay cash you just ask for the Certificate of Origin and you can register it wherever you want. All the dealer has to do is provide a temporary registration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 11:44 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
This is how it worked when I was in the business...

A new retail vehicle sale could avoid paying California tax ONLY IF Delivered outside California...

I worked for a Dealer and several times was paid to drive cars to Oregon and Nevada... no tax due... another option is for a licensed transporter to deliver out or State... back in the day the State was most aggressive collecting tax.

With a used car... just buy and drive... as tax is collected at DMV whereas a new car Tax is collected at the time of sale...

This said... even California will credit sales tax paid in another state as an off set in some cases...

The only other work around I know is active duty military because they have the right to choose a state of domicile....

If you buy in Oregon and not coming back to California… there is no Oregon Sales Tax...

Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 AM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

You would not pay tax in two states as the car will already be registered to you in Ca and you would of paid the sales tax on the vehicle. You would pay registration for the new state. There would be no sales tax ascthe car is already registered in your name. The registration is what triggers the sales, registration, title

Pretty sure that’s how it is.
There is a window on car sales that when you transfer to a new state, you have to pay any additional sales tax. 60 or 90 days. If that weren't the case, everyone in Massachusetts would buy cars in New Hampshire and avoid paying any tax

Old 11-19-2018, 07:34 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,058,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Definitely not California but . . .

A few years ago, I purchased a new vehicle from a Chevrolet Dealer in Illinois and received an "in transit" 30 day paper license plate. Once I arrived home in Arizona about four days later, I took all of my paperwork ("Vehicle Birth Certificate" plus the Dealer Bill of Sale, etc) to the local Arizona MVD. After paying the Arizona Registration Fees and Sales Tax . . . an Arizona Title and License Plate were issued and I was ready to go. No Illinois Title, Registration Fees or Sales Taxes whatsoever.

Prior to relocating to Arizona, I lived in California for many years and know the laws may vary, however, I bet what you are trying to do is possible.

Good Luck.
That worked for me in March. I fly to Las Vegas, purchased a CPO vehicle from the dealer there and drove it home. No sales taxes, nada.

Trust me, I worried about the process. They taped a tiny “drive-off” paper in the right corner of the windshield. No paper tags, no temp registration. I actually stopped by DMV to make certain I was ok to drive. The dealer mailed the paperwork to the local DMV office about four days later and they called me to come in and complete the process.

I paid the nominal amount of state tax. No city or county taxes. Easily saved several thousand dollars in the process.

That might be the fly in the ointment- the dealer may need to know where to mail the paperwork. I’d find a cheap state for registration purposes and use a friend’s address. Register it there and then change it once settled.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:49 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
If I knew I was going to be moving, I'd avoid buying until I got in the new state.

I bought a car in Tennessee in 2013 and moved to Indiana in 2014. I moved back to Tennessee in 2016. Getting that title transferred was hell. The lienholder, a local credit union in TN, and the county clerk kept pointing fingers to each other about who was supposed to request the title. The registration was about to expire when I found this out, and it took around two months to sort out.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:34 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
This is how it worked when I was in the business...

A new retail vehicle sale could avoid paying California tax ONLY IF Delivered outside California...

I worked for a Dealer and several times was paid to drive cars to Oregon and Nevada... no tax due... another option is for a licensed transporter to deliver out or State... back in the day the State was most aggressive collecting tax.
^^ this is correct. If you take delivery in CA, you owe CA taxes. No way around it except having it put on a flatbed or have the dealer deliver it out of state. It's the same here in MA - the state even has a form the dealer fills out certifying the car was delivered out of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
There is a window on car sales that when you transfer to a new state, you have to pay any additional sales tax. 60 or 90 days. If that weren't the case, everyone in Massachusetts would buy cars in New Hampshire and avoid paying any tax
It's 6 months for any vehicle bought out of state and then registered in MA. One pays the difference to MA the difference in the sales tax amount if it is higher in MA. It could be worse - GA requires payment of an ad valorum tax of 6.5% on every car registered in the state even if you already paid sales tax in another state.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:56 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Thanks, man
That is exactly what I'd like to accomplish. Even a 10 day in transit paper plate would work.
Every state is different in temporary tags.

Bottom line. You have to have an address. Whatever address you use in paperwork is where you pay {or owe) sales tax.

Buy the truck from a dealer where you plan to live. Or if you buy in California have them ship it.

Have purchased multiple vehicles over the years out of state but only registered the vehicle in my home state. I had the registration and insurance upon pickup of vehicle.

Have traveled across 5 states with dealer plates. Yes the dealer allowed me to use their dealer plates to get home. Then I mailed them back. I did have proof of insurance. My insurance.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:10 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
^^ this is correct. If you take delivery in CA, you owe CA taxes. No way around it except having it put on a flatbed or have the dealer deliver it out of state. It's the same here in MA - the state even has a form the dealer fills out certifying the car was delivered out of state.

It's 6 months for any vehicle bought out of state and then registered in MA. One pays the difference to MA the difference in the sales tax amount if it is higher in MA. It could be worse - GA requires payment of an ad valorum tax of 6.5% on every car registered in the state even if you already paid sales tax in another state.
This depends on the state. My car was bought in Massachusetts and registered in Vermont. I activated the insurance and drove it 150 miles with Massachusetts dealer plates. I was trading two cars and the runner riding shotgun with me put the dealer plates on my 2nd car and drove away. I attached the plates and drove my new car illegally to register it the next morning. All I had was the usual bill of sale and certificate of origin. I think paid sales tax on the MSRP less the two trades since they both had already paid Vermont sales tax. I didn’t pay Massachusetts sales tax.

The previous one was purchased in New Hampshire and registered in Vermont. The NH dealer gave me a paper temporary plate.

I’ve also bought cars in Massachusetts and registered them in New Hampshire a few times. I didn’t have to pay Massachusetts sales tax.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:41 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve also bought cars in Massachusetts and registered them in New Hampshire a few times. I didn’t have to pay Massachusetts sales tax.
All cars purchased in Massachusetts owe Massachusetts sales tax. IF. That is if that person ever wishes to register the car in Massachusetts the Massachusetts sale tax would be required.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:26 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
The bottom line is that you won't pay any more in the end, with the truck registered wherever you live, no matter what process you follow. If you pay tax in CA, you can have it credited or refunded when you re-register it in another state (within certain short time limits).

But if you can buy and drive away with a temporary registration and complete all the reg and fees and paperwork at the destination, it will be a lot easier and you'll have less money you have to recover etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive