Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:15 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,762 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm surprised some company hasn't come out with a cheap way to have something like this in cars-I do suspect it to become a common accessory/option in cars in the future but for now I guess I'll have to make my own. I want a system that will record 360 degrees around my car (or at the minimum towards the front so can probably go with one or two cameras), to record anything that might happen while the system is activated. I want to have video "proof" of such things as vehicle accident, car vandalism, etc...I'm trying to figure out the CHEAPEST way to accomplish this. Any ideas? I figure using a computer with hard drive will be the cheapest way to go...what kind of camera to use will also be a big factor in cost. Just thought I would see if anyone on this forum had knowledge of these things. Thanks!

Last edited by scottv; 04-05-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,493 times
Almost every police vehicle in the USA now has this system. Forward only AFAIK. Ask a local copper for the name off his system. They ain't cheap.

golfgod

Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
I drive a school bus that is equipped with SIX cameras. My students better not even THINK about a little oral sex in the back!

This outfit makes them....maybe it's a place to start.

Radio Engineering Industries, Inc. (http://www.radioeng.com/index.asp?expand=kid_span_school&mainsrc=products/school-bus/ - broken link)

Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
WHY??? Are you that insecure about your suroundings??

Old 04-06-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WHY??? Are you that insecure about your suroundings??
ha, I see people getting screwed over "he said, she said" car accidents everyday-happened to me once...if I get into an accident and it's not my fault, I don't plan on paying my deductible and having my insurance pay for it-I'm taking the at-fault party to court or getting paid straight from their insurance...so many people have to pay $500/$1000 out of their pocket even though someone else was at fault-I figure if I have video evidence of who is at fault, it can't hurt and would surely help. Also, there are a LOT of stupid drivers around...a few months ago, I saw a guy driving down the road in his SUV with a little guitar in his HANDS-playing that stupid GUITAR HERO game while driving!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
ha, I see people getting screwed over "he said, she said" car accidents everyday-happened to me once...if I get into an accident and it's not my fault, I don't plan on paying my deductible and having my insurance pay for it-I'm taking the at-fault party to court or getting paid straight from their insurance...so many people have to pay $500/$1000 out of their pocket even though someone else was at fault-I figure if I have video evidence of who is at fault, it can't hurt and would surely help. Also, there are a LOT of stupid drivers around...a few months ago, I saw a guy driving down the road in his SUV with a little guitar in his HANDS-playing that stupid GUITAR HERO game while driving!!!
Exactly.

I've also thought about a system like this also, but I've never looked into it beyond how it would operate.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Just carry a camera in your car a small disposable 1s or use your cell phone camera if you are in a accident!!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Just carry a camera in your car a small disposable 1s or use your cell phone camera if you are in a accident!!
oh jeez...

Old 04-06-2008, 09:03 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,549 times
Quote:
To put it in nicer terms from what Scott said...

Say you are driving down a very curvy road and as you come around a turn, there is a car coming toward you, in your lane since they crossed the double yellow. Both drivers react, but you still hit, not head on but against each other's side. Both cars now have one side of their car destroyed.

You jump out of your car and start taking pictures.

Police arrive, and ask what happened. The other driver states that he was in his lane when you rounded the curve completely out of control and you side swipe his car.

Now with the camera you have, prove the other driver is lying.

Or

You are driving on a city street. You are approaching a stop light, but you are still about 150 meters away. No one is in front of you. You start braking for the red light, but it turns green. You glance up at the intersection and you don't see anyone. You proceed to hit the gas and start speeding back up to the speed limit.

You wake up in the hospital. A car that you did not see attempted to make it through the light before it turned red one the street you were crossing. Somehow, even though you do not remember it, you actually hit the other car, not the other way around.

Typical in todays day and age, no one wanted to get involved outside of calling 911 for you. No witnesses because no one wants to get involved in your business.

By the time that the police arrive, the light has cycled a few times. Other driver is not in as bad shape as what you are, and states that you ran the light, and hit him.

Both cars are in the intersection. You DID hit the other car. There are no witnesses and this intersection has no cameras.

How can you prove your innocence?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:37 AM

I have been in 3 accidents in all my driving took pic with camera & won all cases...and if you are as bad as you are saying what is to stop the other person from taking the camera!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive