Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 06:09 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times

Advertisements

You state:

1ST owner 35K
2ND owner 1K
3RD owner 15K

in that order, I'd have less issues with the three owners because the short ownership was the second. The last owner drove it for enough miles so if there was a problem it was most likely solved.

If the last owner was the 1K driver I would be more concerned about the condition and reliability of the car because of the quick turnover.

Years ago when our Odyssey got creamed in an accident, the dealer said it was going to take close to a month to get the newly ordered Odyssey shipped. (it was actually 45 days) I rental would have been well over 500 dollars out of pocket after insurance re-imbursement. The dealer agreed to sell me a used year old Accord for 14,000 dollars and barring any accidents, or misuse he agreed to buy it back for 13,750 at the end of the month. I'm sure in these days of CarFax that one would have looked suspicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 06:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You state:

1ST owner 35K
2ND owner 1K
3RD owner 15K

in that order, I'd have less issues with the three owners because the short ownership was the second. The last owner drove it for enough miles so if there was a problem it was most likely solved.
Yes, but when the OP decides to sell or trade he/she is the 4th owner. That will diminish the car even more.

Why bother.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:38 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You state:

1ST owner 35K
2ND owner 1K
3RD owner 15K

If the last owner was the 1K driver I would be more concerned about the condition and reliability of the car because of the quick turnover.

Years ago when our Odyssey got creamed in an accident, the dealer said it was going to take close to a month to get the newly ordered Odyssey shipped. (it was actually 45 days) I rental would have been well over 500 dollars out of pocket after insurance re-imbursement. The dealer agreed to sell me a used year old Accord for 14,000 dollars and barring any accidents, or misuse he agreed to buy it back for 13,750 at the end of the month. I'm sure in these days of CarFax that one would have looked suspicious.
Possible the 2nd owner had a baby and it was too small. Happened with my daughter and her ex. He had just bought a car when they found out she was pregnant. He kept the car till he found a better family car for 3 kids.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:58 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Yes, but when the OP decides to sell or trade he/she is the 4th owner. That will diminish the car even more.

Why bother.

You may be right! Thanks for that perspective.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:18 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
People read way too much on amount of owners on a vehicle. One of my trucks had four owners. My BIL bought it new. I bought it from him 12 years ago, lent it to his brother for a few years (I did all the maintenance which amounted to one oil and fuel filter change) , he sadly passed away got the truck back. While my BIL brother had it he drove 5.000 miles in three years. This year I put 700 miles on it.
Truck is in impeccable condition. I jus5 rebuilt the front axle, new brakes, serviced all fluids and new tires all around. But it technically had 4 owners.

A vehicle having multiple owners doesn’t mean much. The visual and mechanical shape the vehicle is in, any major and minor maintenance records matter more than the amount of owners.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:33 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I've been looking at a five year old car that is priced very reasonably. It's so low that I think there must be a catch.

I checked the CarFax and the only possible red flag I could see is that there were three owners. The first was a personal lease and it was driven about 35k miles. The next owner only drove it a thousand miles. The next owner drove another 15k.

Nothing of note there. If you are really worried pay for a prepurchase inspection.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Would be for me. Proceed with caution-have it checked out by a shop.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:53 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I've been looking at a five year old car that is priced very reasonably. It's so low that I think there must be a catch.

I checked the CarFax and the only possible red flag I could see is that there were three owners. The first was a personal lease and it was driven about 35k miles. The next owner only drove it a thousand miles. The next owner drove another 15k.

If a woman had 3 husbands in 5 years would that be a red flag?

Take her for a long test drive and have an independent mechanic check under her skirt before signing on the bottom line.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:56 AM

734 posts, read 842,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Why bother.
Because the asking price has already been significantly discounted. Most comparable vehicles I've been seeing are listed approx 4-5k more (14-15k instead of 10k).

Old 11-22-2018, 09:35 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
I've bought and sold a few cars within 3-4 months and only putting on 1-2k miles on them. Either I just didn't like them or the wife or just wasn't functional at the time. First owner was a lease so I wouldn't be too worried. And OP would save some money since its had 3 owners instead of being a one car owned vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive