Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 03:58 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
As labor costs have soared and complexity of new vehicles as well, I wish there was an independent source of what schedule to follow on maintenance items. Oil change is one that gets a lot of discussion and wide variance in recommended approach especially as synthetics have come on the scene. I have arrived at what I think is the right approach on oil intervals.

But there are many others where the clear discussion of various intervals is difficult to find. What got me started on this was having my 2014 LS460 in for oil change at the dealer I trust. They recommended I do a brake fluid flush and in fact recommended it every 15k miles. By the way the cost quoted me was $270. I get tires from Sam's club where they provide life time free rotation with the tire. I understand their is synergy doing flush and rotation as wheels need to come off for the flush so perhaps that is why dealer quoted this cost. I found quotes for the flush ranging from $80 to the dealer quote.

I asked frequency each suggested, the answer ranged from every four years to the deal 15k miles or once a year quote.

Is there a source of an independent recommendation on all PM steps?

I see luxury car dealerships that build mega high end dealerships and they seem to depend on customers having them do al the PM maintenance at their high costs. I wish in buying a car, we not only got an MSRP but a list of recommended PM and the cost the dealer quotes for each and all of those services.

Am I the only one with this interest and crazy idea?

Thanks in advance

It's all in the Owner's Manual.

BTW I would always recommend following factory intervals (which dealer's often ignore in their quest for your dollars) but having owned an LS430 for 100K miles I can say that that even if you don't follow that schedule you will still likely have zero problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 05:13 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Dealers always try to upsell. From unneeded brake flushes to transmission and coolant flushes at ridiculously low miles. Always follow the recommended intervals. My corolla says to just inspect the tranny fluid and only change if it browns or smells burnt. Dealer recommends a flush at 60K for $200. Fluid is still nice and pink. I have 85K on it now and plan on doing a drain and fill over the Christmas holiday. That should be more than enough. I have never done a brake flush on any vehicle I have owned and have never had an issue because of it.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:29 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Dealers always try to upsell. From unneeded brake flushes to transmission and coolant flushes at ridiculously low miles. Always follow the recommended intervals. My corolla says to just inspect the tranny fluid and only change if it browns or smells burnt. Dealer recommends a flush at 60K for $200. Fluid is still nice and pink. I have 85K on it now and plan on doing a drain and fill over the Christmas holiday. That should be more than enough. I have never done a brake flush on any vehicle I have owned and have never had an issue because of it.
Remember no dip sticks on many automatic transmissions anymore to check transmission fluid.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Remember no dip sticks on many automatic transmissions anymore to check transmission fluid.
There is still a drain and fill plug. And you can always measure how much you drain and replace it with new fluid.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There is still a drain and fill plug. And you can always measure how much you drain and replace it with new fluid.
So you can’t check the condition of it before you drain it then, so you have to change it since it’s all draining out anyway. So that statement that the op said that if the trans fluid is still pink it’s still ok is not possible anymore.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
So you can’t check the condition of it before you drain it then, so you have to change it since it’s all draining out anyway. So that statement that the op said that if the trans fluid is still pink it’s still ok is not possible anymore.
Come on dude. It’s absoutely doable. Brake clean the drain plug area. You can loosen the drain plug to the last few threads and let it dribble out. You can also loosen the plug all the way and hold it close let some fluid pour out. Drain a tiny bit in a clear plastic glass screw the plug back in. You don’t need to drain the whole thing.

I do a drain and fill every 30k. I drain refill 4 quarts. Drain refill 4 qt. Drain refill 4 qt. That pretty much gets most of the old stuff out.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Come on dude. It’s absoutely doable. Brake clean the drain plug area. You can loosen the drain plug to the last few threads and let it dribble out. You can also loosen the plug all the way and hold it close let some fluid pour out. Drain a tiny bit in a clear plastic glass screw the plug back in. You don’t need to drain the whole thing.

I do a drain and fill every 30k. I drain refill 4 quarts. Drain refill 4 qt. Drain refill 4 qt. That pretty much gets most of the old stuff out.
Good for you dude you do what you want I’ll do what the manufacturer says it’s their design they built it so I’ll do what they say. And not everyone is into doing that to check the condition of their trans fluid. Hell if you’re going through all that to just check it you might as well go all the way and change it. For me I lease my vehicles so 36,000 miles is all i put on a vehicle then get a new one and start all over no maintenance issues not even brakes, just tire rotations and oil changes.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Good for you dude you do what you want I’ll do what the manufacturer says it’s their design they built it so I’ll do what they say. And not everyone is into doing that to check the condition of their trans fluid. Hell if you’re going through all that to just check it you might as well go all the way and change it. For me I lease my vehicles so 36,000 miles is all i put on a vehicle then get a new one and start all over no maintenance issues not even brakes, just tire rotations and oil changes.
I could really care less if you lease, buy or work or don’t work on your vehicles. You stated it wasn’t doable. When it absolutely is. This doesn’t mean you have to do it. It’s just something that CAN be done. And checking fluid doesn’t mean you need to change it. This isn’t a discussion on your car buying process. Ok so you’re a typical lease and repeat car buyer. Good for you. You have a forever car payment. Why are you even in this discussion since you do none of the maintenance. There is a reason my cars run basically 200,000 troublefree miles.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-25-2018 at 09:14 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 11:45 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Quote:

I can tell from the response I am wasting my time here..

I think so.

If you want to know what something costs, you call up and ask. If you don't like the answers you call around to local repair shops and ask for their prices.

If you want to know if intervals are reasonable, every car out there has a forum (or three) where devotees congregate and talk about what's what. That's where you should be posting.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:

I can tell from the response I am wasting my time here.. I know what the owners manual lsays that was not my question. I do not know what the cost would be to do all things per owners manual at the dealer. They should tell me. I will continue to pursue making this a requirement.
As stated multiple times. Just follow the scheduled maintenance in the cars manual. If under warranty.
You don't have to go to the dealer. Just make sure you do it timely and keep all receipts.

The are many highly qualified honest independent shops out there. Find one. Keep records.

True story.

Neighbor purchased a new Mercedes 500 sedan.
Came with free oil changes for 36,000 miles.

Had first oil change. Done at the Mercedes dealership. I asked how much the first free oil change cost. The owners answer was "free".
I again asked how much the first oil change cost. Angrily, he stated "What part of "free" don't you understand?"

So then I reworded the question. How much did you pay the Mercedes dealership when you picked up the car after the "free" oil change?

The answer was $387.00.
I asked how could a free oil change cost $387.00.
Well . . . the Mercedes dealership "recommended" a whole bunch of other things that were NOT mentioned in the owners manual. Of course he fell for all of that extra crap. Like changing the window washer fluid, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive