Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 01:27 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Too big to fail, Too big to fail, too big to fail. like that bailout will happen again. A large part of bailout money went to Exec's. Only in America.
You are so wrong I’m so happy you know we’re the bailout money went to i love all the guessing going on here, and btw how come no one brings up the big banks bailout why is it always GM the big banks were responsible for the mortgage crisis along with Wall Street, and the big banks didn’t fire their CEOs did they in fact they are still there unlike GM CEO Rick Wagner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:45 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Pickups and large SUVs and CUV’s are selling right now gas prices are below $2 in certain states. So why drive a small sedan when you can drive a larger more comfortable large SUV or pickup. And if gas prices stay low Toyota and Honda are going to see sedan sales slide even further and Honda doesn’t have a true pickup in their lineup.

Basically because those large SUVs and trucks handle like buses compared to a good sedan. Thankfully luxury sedans will still be manufactured, as that is the market that I will likely be in for my next vehicle.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Basically because those large SUVs and trucks handle like buses compared to a good sedan. Thankfully luxury sedans will still be manufactured, as that is the market that I will likely be in for my next vehicle.
The newer SUVs drive like a sedan but on a larger scale try driving i new one you will be surprised how they handle.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerun View Post
It is more about styling than comfort. It is a bit ridiculous to say that a pickup is more comfortable anyway. If you care about the way your vehicle performs, trucks and large SUVs are a horrible choice. Poor handling, long braking distances, difficult to drive and park in city, etc.

Driving a truck is always a compromise. You give up comfort, performance and mpg because you want the extra size or just like trucks.
Well apparently thats what people are buying and not sedans that’s why the big3 are doing away with most of their sedans. There are people out there who don’t care about styling also.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Why are we subsidizing electric cars? People who want them will buy them, especially the virtue signalling social justice warriors.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Why are we subsidizing electric cars? People who want them will buy them, especially the virtue signalling social justice warriors.
I've been in favor of getting rid of the tax credits once the first automaker reaches 200K units.
I don't like that the current system rewards slackers.

At the very least, they should be means tested.
GM proved that it's possible to build a long range EV that doesn't cost a fortune.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:44 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
There are these old institutions - like sears- that really need to be put out of business. GM is one of them. I feel bad for the people of the midwest but this happens all too often lately. When there is a profitable corporate concern greedy executives see a way to make money for themselves. They go in, destroy the company, and covert it into way to get money for them.

GM has lasted too long and it is time to pull off the bandaid and let GM go. If the leaders of the area were smart they would pull back any and all subsidies and put it out there that they would like to pay some other company off to come in to the area and revitalize it.
Cutting production of products that have fallen out of demand is not corporate greed, it's solid business.

Did anybody actually read the article or does everybody still think it's 2009?

Old 11-28-2018, 02:46 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
There are these old institutions - like sears- that really need to be put out of business. GM is one of them. I feel bad for the people of the midwest but this happens all too often lately. When there is a profitable corporate concern greedy executives see a way to make money for themselves. They go in, destroy the company, and covert it into way to get money for them.

GM has lasted too long and it is time to pull off the bandaid and let GM go. If the leaders of the area were smart they would pull back any and all subsidies and put it out there that they would like to pay some other company off to come in to the area and revitalize it.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
And the twin of this elephant in the room is the rogue beast that GM has 3 times as many retirees as active workers! I do not see survival in GM's future.

My wife was at a women's activity last night and all the other ladies, none of whom are from GM/UAW or automotive households, were bashing GM for their plant closure decision. Somehow I don't believe these women will allow their husbands to buy a new GM product in the near term.

Perception is reality, and GM is being viewed by the general public nationwide in a very poor light. Stories of GM's recent $10B spending on Stock Buy-outs to inflate the stock price to allow the "Bonus Baby" executives to sell stock at a higher price, coupled with the total closure of 5-6 plants to save $4B just doesn't sit well with many people. I say 5-6 plants are closing because the Oshawa Autoplex has three assembly plants. One of the three was already closed, and the news stories are not clear if both of the remaining plants will close (making it a total of 6 assembly plants) or only the car assembly plant.

Lordstown OH Car Assembly
Hamtramck MI Car Assembly
Oshawa ONT Car Assembly
Oshawa ONT Truck Assembly (uncertain on this one)
Warren MI Transmission
Baltimore MD Transmission

I have managed construction projects at all six of these during my previous employment, and still have many contacts working there.
I don't know why everybody cares so much about stock buybacks. Check your 401K. Chances are you have a large cap fund with GM in it. Stock buybacks increase the value of stock. Shedding poorly selling models is also good business. The purpose of a company is to return shareholder value, not keep weaker products in production just for the sake of providing jobs. GMs problem is your lady friends weren't buying GMs products now and now they're upset that GM is getting rid of the products they weren't buying anyway. Talk about ignorant. There's a reason they're a bunch of simple housewives and not captains of industry. They don't understand such complex things.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Because they have been able to produce a reliable small sedan that doesn’t give you much trouble. GM and Ford were never great at small cars. Isn’t it suspicious that after GM got their millions from the Tax scam they pulled this crap right before Christmas?
No, Honda isn't selling Accords either. https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/12/...rd-slow-sales/

Seriously try and read earlier post before posting something that's already been disproven. Or at least do a quick Google search first before you post something that makes no sense. This isn't that hard people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive