Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:07 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times

Advertisements

I've always loved Saab's styling, inside and out, and the company's individuality. Once GM bought majority share, many things improved for Saab, including reliability, access to great supply chain leverage, and GM's marketing machine. It's gotten so that even Consumer Reports has liked some Saabs in recent years. But now I'm wondering, has GM started to meddle too much with a good product? Is a new Saab 9-5 as good as it was 5-8 years ago? I won't ever consider the SUV a Saab.

Anyways, is somebody out there informed on this? For me, it's really a question of whether Saab will still be itself in 10 years, or just a name slapped onto GM vehicles. Poor Jaguar and Land Rover... if only they'd been bought by Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 10:33 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Swedish Automobile Always Broken

Old 04-05-2008, 10:55 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,977 times
Once a car company that is renowned for its refined, classy saloons has stooped to the SUV market you know things have gone wrong somewhere. If they were a completely self-sufficient company with absolutely no ties to GM whatsoever then I question whether the ugly SUV thing would have ever come into existence in the first place so to answer your question, yes, in my opinion I do think GM is meddling too much.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
I'm trying hard to think of a company that isn't producing ugly SUV things currently.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Swedish Automobile Always Broken
If you have nothing to contribute to the actual subject, kindly go and troll some other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I've always loved Saab's styling, inside and out, and the company's individuality. Once GM bought majority share, many things improved for Saab, including reliability, access to great supply chain leverage, and GM's marketing machine. It's gotten so that even Consumer Reports has liked some Saabs in recent years. But now I'm wondering, has GM started to meddle too much with a good product? Is a new Saab 9-5 as good as it was 5-8 years ago? I won't ever consider the SUV a Saab.

Anyways, is somebody out there informed on this? For me, it's really a question of whether Saab will still be itself in 10 years, or just a name slapped onto GM vehicles. Poor Jaguar and Land Rover... if only they'd been bought by Toyota.
For the most part, the cars keep getting better and better. I'm interested to see how the forthcoming 280HP AWD 9-3 is received by the market. But there have definitely been some head-scratchers, such as re-badging a Blazer as a Saab or the particularly strange re-badging of the Subaru Impreza Wagon (aka the "Saabaru") back when GM had a stake in Subaru. Saab and Subaru have virtually no features, traits or heritage in common whatsoever and they are rarely cross-shopped, so why would they do that?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
Mostly what is irking me now is the addition of loads of new exterior design elements. Typical "more-is-better" reasoning from GM, and a really ham-fisted handling of an already beautiful style. The grille and the rear have acquired so many design features as to be just too cluttered. It's starting to look like Jackson Pollock had a hand in the aesthetic.

The black plastic "accent" on the rear bumper between the tailpipes makes me think of a Mazda3 or something. I think there are some Audis that have a similar look, but it cheapens the appearance of the car. And for, say, a Turbo X, I don't want to pay $45,000+ for a 9-3 with Mazda3 styling.

Anyways, I am pulling for the return of simplicity and refinement instead of ridiculously ornate detail. I would like to buy a Saab one of these years, and I don't want to have to resort to model years '01-'05 just because they don't make them like they used to.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM

355 posts, read 2,703,494 times
I saw two brand new Saabs going down the street on my way home yesterday. One of them was a grey-like color and the other I think was black. I believe they were the newly redesigned 9-3, but they could have been the 9-5. Both cars had the window stickers on them, I would have tried to look at the price, but I was going the other way. They were probably on test drives. I think the Saabs now look better than the ones from about 5 through maybe ten years ago. Looking at those Saabs made me want one bad. That is the first time I have ever wanted a Saab.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you have nothing to contribute to the actual subject, kindly go and troll some other thread.
Sure I'll contribute . In addition to making ugly cars, SAAB's rank pretty poorly in both Initial Quality and Dependability Ratings Per JD Power. To put it bluntly, the cars simply do not sell well in the US. They do well in Europe but Americans know ugly cars when they see them.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
That still has nothing to do with the thread topic, but nice try.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That still has nothing to do with the thread topic, but nice try.
Sorry, just love to bag on SAAB.

As far as GM ownership goes, I'm sure they will sell off SAAB just as Ford already has done with both Jaguar and Land Rover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive