Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:23 AM

7,078 posts, read 12,582,046 times

Advertisements

Just replaced the timing belt, the water pump, and had a new radiator installed on a 2005 Honda Civic with 90,000 miles. Total cost was $850 out the door at our very competent independent shop. Car runs like a dream now...we don't have any work done at the Honda dealer's--just too pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:31 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,913,825 times
We own a 2007 Elantra.

It had that service a couple of years ago at 88,000 miles.

Timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, oil / filter change, etc. About 500 dollars.

Currently 122,000 miles and all is well.

Find a good shop, skip the dealer, get it done.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:43 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just replaced the timing belt, the water pump, and had a new radiator installed on a 2005 Honda Civic with 90,000 miles. Total cost was $850 out the door...
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
We own a 2007 Elantra.

It had that service a couple of years ago at 88,000 miles.

Timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, oil / filter change, etc. About 500 dollars.
Hondas tend to be more expensive for this mandatory service, and Subarus more expensive yet. I've done it on some older cars, but it's gotten more complex on engines of the last ten years. In general, if you can do it without taking more than an hour to get to the point of belt removal, and get "wet" only when removing the water pump, it's within the range of a competent DIYer. If stripping the front of the engine takes more time, or you have to remove oil-gallery parts or follow up with valve adjustments, it's better to leave it to a pro.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:20 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,913,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Hondas tend to be more expensive for this mandatory service, and Subarus more expensive yet. I've done it on some older cars, but it's gotten more complex on engines of the last ten years. In general, if you can do it without taking more than an hour to get to the point of belt removal, and get "wet" only when removing the water pump, it's within the range of a competent DIYer. If stripping the front of the engine takes more time, or you have to remove oil-gallery parts or follow up with valve adjustments, it's better to leave it to a pro.
Yep, i'll have to agree. I had it done on a 2005 Subaru Outback XT. about $750 way back then for just the timing belt, the rest was in addition to the belt cost.

I did an old DOHC Jag timing chain years ago in my apartment parking lot, just me and an unsuspecting neighbor did all the work. Ah, back in the good old days.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:25 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Yep, i'll have to agree. I had it done on a 2005 Subaru Outback XT. about $750 way back then for just the timing belt, the rest was in addition to the belt cost.
It's one of those engine survival/longevity things you have to figure in to long-term ownership of any engine with a cam belt (as opposed to a chain).

Quote:
I did an old DOHC Jag timing chain years ago in my apartment parking lot, just me and an unsuspecting neighbor did all the work. Ah, back in the good old days.
Sigh. Thanks. Now I will be having nightmares about valve shim discs for a week.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaboogie View Post
I have a 2009 Hyundai Elantra and its in great condition. I've never had an issue with my car and take very good care of it. I'm right around 86,500 miles and I need to bring the car in for servicing. Every dealership in my city (Sacramento) said since the car is coming up on a milestone servicing, its best to do the 90K servicing at this time. However, the top tier servicing will cost me $950! I can opt to do the middle of the road servicing, but this will cost $650! I'm not working and need a more affordable option to service my car.

Does this servicing really cost this much for an almost 10 year old Elantra in great condition? This seems excessive to me. I took a screen shot of the recommended servicing from Hyundai's website. TIA.
I can confirm that this is in fact the DEALER's own "plan" they've come up with, hoping customers will believe it is synonymous with what is in the back of their owner's manual. But often times, it is not.

If you've still got the manual handy, or in the glove box, go check it out and compare what maintenance looks like for 90k miles.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,796,176 times
Does the 650 include the timing belt? If so, get that service.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 PM

21,676 posts, read 24,828,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaboogie View Post
I have a 2009 Hyundai Elantra and its in great condition. I've never had an issue with my car and take very good care of it. I'm right around 86,500 miles and I need to bring the car in for servicing. Every dealership in my city (Sacramento) said since the car is coming up on a milestone servicing, its best to do the 90K servicing at this time. However, the top tier servicing will cost me $950! I can opt to do the middle of the road servicing, but this will cost $650! I'm not working and need a more affordable option to service my car.

Does this servicing really cost this much for an almost 10 year old Elantra in great condition? This seems excessive to me. I took a screen shot of the recommended servicing from Hyundai's website. TIA.
Yup. Timing belt, normal.

Option 1: Do it yourself. It's almost all labor because it's a pain to replace them. Belts are cheap. Do it yourself

Option 2: Don't replace it. It's easy to check if a timing belt has stretched so it doesn't cost much. Usually they'll stretch out so if the timing isn't off, the timing isn't off. Belt's usually fine. Why do they replace them at 90,000 then instead of when they get worn out. Well, sometimes they don't stretch. They just get dry and nasty and then snap and then you need a new engine. Especially given the age of that belt that's more of a concern than with someone who drives 20,000 miles a year. A five year old belt with 100,000 miles on it is much, much less likely to be dried out and nasty and more likely to simply have stretched out from use than a going on 10-year-old belt with 86,000 is.

If the not working is a temporary situation, maybe you can push it. If it's not, e.g., retired or not planning on working for the next few years there's no real point delaying it. You'll need to do it eventually.

Going through an independent shop is cheaper. Generally I take new cars to dealerships while under warranty, not that they really need anything besides oil changes these days. As soon as the warranty is up the only time I set foot in a dealership is a recall or when it's time to buy a new car. Used I prefer buying private party as I'm as much shopping the previous owner as the car.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM

42,748 posts, read 25,952,044 times
Get an estimate from these guys, they are super honest, good mechanics and don't sell you services you don't need:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/garage-47-c...-2?osq=41+auto

Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
That’s why i lease don’t have to worry about this because getting a new vehicle every 3 years is great. And since most small 4 bangers are non interface motors the worst thing that could happen is your motor will just die until you get a new timing belt. Allot of this timing belt replacement comes from the older Honda interface 4 bangers because if the timing broke while you were driving then you would bend the valves and do thousands of $$$ worth of damage. But today’s 4 bangers use non interface engines.

Last edited by easy62; 11-29-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive