Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:03 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Then write Kia and ask them.
There actually is one in concept form.
https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/ve...cars/trailster
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...y-get-awd-news

May release it in the future. Up till now they're more focused on cost/reliability/mileage/reworking their image in the marketplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 01:08 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do you think all cars should be AWD? If not, then why should the Soul?
No...when did I say that? I was simply commenting on how you said it doesn't have AWD because it's not an SUV.

Quote:
Most cars are to low to the ground for AWD to work effectively.
AWD benefits aren't just for off-roading or 2ft of snow.

I keep hearing this nonsense that you need an SUV/higher ground clearance to use AWD. Where does this crap keep coming from??

Old 11-29-2018, 01:11 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I keep hearing this nonsense that you need an SUV/higher ground clearance to use AWD. Where does this crap keep coming from??
The marketing departments of all the automakers who have higher margins on boxy cars tagged "xUV," and their toadies in the car magazines.

Also people who think everything that isn't a 4WD F-150 should be scrapped as obsolete and unwanted.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Still no AWD. I don't understand why Kia hasn't made that an option yet.
It would add to cost and maintenance of the vehicle. They have other models with awd/4wd capability

Old 11-29-2018, 01:28 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
No...when did I say that? I was simply commenting on how you said it doesn't have AWD because it's not an SUV.

Ok than what other benefits besides lower mpg. Because a 2wd vehicle is good in rain and light snow AWD improves traction and who is going to take a Kia Soul to the racetrack. What other reasons to have AWD if not for the snow or off-roading. Why have AWD on a vehicle that’s never going to be in snow or mud.

Keep in mind that both AWD and 4WD systems add considerable weight to a vehicle, compromising fuel economy. And people buy small vehicles like the Soul for the gas mileage if you add AWD than why buy a Soul when you can buy a bigger cuv AWD that gets the same millage as a Kia Soul AWD.

Last edited by easy62; 11-29-2018 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Autonomous Soul. Almost sounds like the name of a band.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:46 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Ok than what other benefits besides lower mpg. Because a 2wd vehicle is good in rain and light snow AWD improves traction and who is going to take a Kia Soul to the racetrack. What other reasons to have AWD if not for the snow or off-roading. Why have AWD on a vehicle that’s never going to be in snow or mud.

Keep in mind that both AWD and 4WD systems add considerable weight to a vehicle, compromising fuel economy.
I was talking about heavy, deep snow (hence why I said 2ft as an example). AWD without ground clearance is better then FWD or RWD in rain or light(er) snow, all else being equal. Tires are of course the biggest factor. In most parts of the country, if you see snow heavy enough to require the ground clearance, you're probably staying inside that day until the roads are cleared.

No, very few of us take our cars to the track. But the improved traction you mention still enhances the daily driving experience.

Quote:
And people buy small vehicles like the Soul for the gas mileage if you add AWD than why buy a Soul when you can buy a bigger cuv AWD that gets the same millage as a Kia Soul AWD.
Because not everyone wants a bigger vehicle.

Of course, I agree there's a penalty of cost, weight, and fuel economy. Whether or not it's worth it is up to the buyer.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:

I had to look this up to see if I was missing something. The main benefits of AWD are traction and power. The Soul is mainly a city car. Why add weight, cost, and complication for an AWD feature that the target buyer wouldn't have need of? If one needs traction and power to haul heavy stuff or face adverse weather on a regular basis, I doubt the Soul would be the best option.

https://www.buyherepayhereusa.com/bl...disadvantages/

Old 11-29-2018, 02:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I had to look this up to see if I was missing something. The main benefits of AWD are traction and power. The Soul is mainly a city car. Why add weight, cost, and complication for an AWD feature that the target buyer wouldn't have need of? If one needs traction and power to haul heavy stuff or face adverse weather on a regular basis, I doubt the Soul would be the best option.

https://www.buyherepayhereusa.com/bl...disadvantages/
I wouldn’t really say the Soul is a city car, I see them all over rural areas. My sister has one and she lives way out in the sticks.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:38 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I wouldn’t really say the Soul is a city car, I see them all over rural areas. My sister has one and she lives way out in the sticks.
People drive Priuses in the sticks and F-150 crew cabs in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive