Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
There is no domestic station wagon anymore.
The manufacturers state there is no demand.

If the domestic manufacturers don't offer any station wagon - then there is no demand - as none offered.

False argument.
Good lord. They don’t just suddenly stop selling popular vehicles just to spite their own consumer and cut their profits. As sales dwindle, they make fewer and fewer of them. If the demand is too low as in so low the cars they sell can’t keep the lights on in the factory, they drop it and move on to something that does sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 01:18 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Article from 2011

The compact pickup segment is dwindling....
Article from 2018 :-)
https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/...-make-comeback

Read the comment section.

I think carmakers are missing an opportunity. A small, no-frills pickup that millenials and retirees would buy. And, more importantly, would be a big hit with fleet sales. Think gardeners, pest control, parts runners, pool guys, etc.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:01 PM

6,799 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Moms bought wagons, moms discovered they prefer the higher seating positions, moms started buying crossovers..end of the road for wagons in the American market.

In contrast, Europe always had a performance/luxury wagon market with a ton of them in corporate and rental fleets as well. So the wagon lives on there.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:32 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Moms bought wagons, moms discovered they prefer the higher seating positions, moms started buying crossovers..end of the road for wagons in the American market.

In contrast, Europe always had a performance/luxury wagon market with a ton of them in corporate and rental fleets as well. So the wagon lives on there.
Ha, I was about to post that after a vehicle becomes seen as soccer parent stuff, it loses the coolness factor. Station wagons, then minivans, then SUVs, then crewcabs with short beds. Regular cab pickups don’t get the parental crowd nearly as much because they don’t have the rear seats.

Every one of these has its advantages and disadvantages, which vary depending on an individual’s life. It’s a shame that buying an expensive, major object is so highly subject to...fashion.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:42 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Article from 2018 :-)
https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/...-make-comeback

Read the comment section.

I think carmakers are missing an opportunity. A small, no-frills pickup that millenials and retirees would buy. And, more importantly, would be a big hit with fleet sales. Think gardeners, pest control, parts runners, pool guys, etc.
The automakers are in business to make money if they thought a mine pickup would sell they would make them. My lord this is their business to know what would sell and what would not sell, these companies pay big research firms to study buyers habits. They ask dealers if ther has been a lot of customers asking if they would buy a mine pickup. Ther has to be a market for them to sell millions of mine pickups not a coup thousand.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:

No moms bought wagons and then minivans, now cross overs. When Lee Iacocca inturduced the Dodge minivan it was a instant hit with soccer moms. Then GM and Ford came out with theirs but couldn’t compete with Chrysler and got out of the minivan business and left itt all to Chrysler.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:00 PM

6,799 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Yes, I should have mentioned minivans as the in-between step between wagons and crossovers. But the general point stands.

I think for many people their car is the no.1 item they have in terms of defining their sense of where they are in society and life. Even people who think they're all about practicality or value...I mean just defining that as the most important characteristics tells you something about those people and how they want to be seen.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:10 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
The automakers are in business to make money if they thought a mine pickup would sell they would make them. My lord this is their business to know what would sell and what would not sell, these companies pay big research firms to study buyers habits. They ask dealers if ther has been a lot of customers asking if they would buy a mine pickup. Ther has to be a market for them to sell millions of mine pickups not a coup thousand.
Well the fact we had to bail them out tells me they don't have a clue what they're doing. I think it's very obvious there's a need for a small, no frills, affordably priced pickup to hit the market. There isn't one on the market now yet there are millions in the U.S. who have a need for a basic work truck. When the next recession hits the luxury pickups won't be selling.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I should have mentioned minivans as the in-between step between wagons and crossovers. But the general point stands.

I think for many people their car is the no.1 item they have in terms of defining their sense of where they are in society and life. Even people who think they're all about practicality or value...I mean just defining that as the most important characteristics tells you something about those people and how they want to be seen.
At my age i could care less about status symbols I’m not trying to impress no one a vehicle to me is a way to get from point a to point b. Some guys today treat the vehicles better than their wife’s or homes. I’ve seen people who had beautiful expensive vehicles but live in a shack.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
No moms bought wagons and then minivans, now cross overs. When Lee Iacocca inturduced the Dodge minivan it was a instant hit with soccer moms. Then GM and Ford came out with theirs but couldn’t compete with Chrysler and got out of the minivan business and left itt all to Chrysler.
Yeah but back then in the mid 90's early 00's the Ford Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee were huge sellers to a family of 4 and larger families tended to go with Chevy Tahoe/Suburban or Ford Expedition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive