Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:57 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What would you rather they call it? The Jeep Rainbow?
They've got the Wrangler already. How about the Strangler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Here’s a used Brat right here: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=191473814
I can see why they only made a few of them. That name sure doesn’t help. Must have meant something else in Japanese.

That's a nice one, even still has the rear seats installed (that is rare!).
But, almost $15,000? I suppose, to a collector, it might be worth that, but to someone who wants a daily driver, I doubt it.
I sure wouldn't pay that for it, even though I have always wanted one.

I would rather have this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Subaru...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
That's a nice one, even still has the rear seats installed (that is rare!).
But, almost $15,000? I suppose, to a collector, it might be worth that, but to someone who wants a daily driver, I doubt it.
I sure wouldn't pay that for it, even though I have always wanted one.

I would rather have this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Subaru...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr
My thoughts exactly. Either that Brat has a really hardcore cult following that will pay anything, but otherwise 99.9999% of the market wouldn't buy it at all. Kinda like the Chevy SSR. You either love it or hate it. No in between.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's 4' x 8'. A standard 8' pickup bed allows you to load the plywood and put up the tailgate to keep it from sliding out.

What is the obsession with 4 doors, anyway? Does everyone have to haul Grandma and all the grandkids to the supermarket? If you need a crummy, buy a Suburban. Use the pickup for hauling stuff, like hay, building materials, firewood, and all the other things that make owning a pickup necessary.
4 doors is really convenient. Not just the grandkids, but the ability to pick up two people from the airport, etc...And what you describe functionally means keeping another car when a 4 door pickup plugs all holes. Frankly, I've never understood the harumphing from the "Trucks should be trucks driven by cowboys and contractors" crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Manufacturers don't always have a good handle on what customers want. They are very slow to react to changes in market trends.

Manufacturers say there's no demand for a low end compact pickup but there is evidence there is latent hidden demand to bring back a modern version of the small 4-cyl mini-truck. High prices for 15-year old mini-trucks show the demand for that niche is there. A mini-truck that'll fit in the average suburban garage; Jeep had one around 1990, the Comanche.

When carmakers say there's no demand for small trucks what they really mean is "the profit margins are too small so we won't bother."
Two things about your comment...
1) A lot of the "market" (I think) that bemoans the lack of minitrucks or Spartan base models (which are actually readily available) aren't actually interested in buying a new truck. They want used ones; and they want the retired gentleman to buy one and turn it in in three years so they can buy it. The fleets of spartan work trucks get used, heavily, and aren't in super nice condition when they're returned to the used market much of the time. I would see the same phenomena with Toyota Matrixes when I worked at a Toyota dealer; they would sell quickly on the used lot, for strong prices, but never any interest in the new ones.

2) Much of the "strong market" reflects the fact that they didn't sell boatloads of them new, and with regards to Toyota Tacomas, that they are relatively bulletproof vehicles. You don't see people clamoring for used S-10's.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
4 doors is really convenient. Not just the grandkids, but the ability to pick up two people from the airport, etc...And what you describe functionally means keeping another car when a 4 door pickup plugs all holes. Frankly, I've never understood the harumphing from the "Trucks should be trucks driven by cowboys and contractors" crowd.

Two things about your comment...
1) A lot of the "market" (I think) that bemoans the lack of minitrucks or Spartan base models (which are actually readily available) aren't actually interested in buying a new truck. They want used ones; and they want the retired gentleman to buy one and turn it in in three years so they can buy it. The fleets of spartan work trucks get used, heavily, and aren't in super nice condition when they're returned to the used market much of the time. I would see the same phenomena with Toyota Matrixes when I worked at a Toyota dealer; they would sell quickly on the used lot, for strong prices, but never any interest in the new ones.

2) Much of the "strong market" reflects the fact that they didn't sell boatloads of them new, and with regards to Toyota Tacomas, that they are relatively bulletproof vehicles. You don't see people clamoring for used S-10's.
I can tell you that most work trucks get driven hard and put away wet. Once in a while you have a old guy who bought a base model and kept it in pristine shape and it’s 12 years old with 26,000 miles but that rarely happens.
Even as careful as I was with my service trucks, getting in and out 18+ times a day, stopping here starting there, tow this carry that works a vehicle in every way possible. The drivetrain gets worked, the suspension, the frame, the brakes the AC etc. I notrmally dumped the service trucks at around 200k. At about 180 I started looking around for a replacement. In a few cases I was done tpwith them by 100-120,000

Toyota’s sell well because like Honda’s they have a pretty good track record. Sure there may be some problems with some models but for the ,ost part of you buy a Toyota or a Honda you are simply gonna get a decent car. May be boring as crap but the reliability is there.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:09 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Once in a while you have a old guy who bought a base model and kept it in pristine shape and it’s 12 years old with 26,000 miles but that rarely happens.
That was exactly mine. The used truck that I purchased. 15 years old. Looks and drives like new.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
There’s no money in no frills affordable priced anything.
There’s two parts to this equation. There had to be a demand AND there had to be a profit to be made. The only way to make money in cheap cars is to sell an insane amount of them. Small demand equals no demand.
The auto industry is just repeating history. In the early days it was believed luxury vehicles were the only way to make money. Henry Ford disproved that notion.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:23 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The auto industry is just repeating history. In the early days it was believed luxury vehicles were the only way to make money. Henry Ford disproved that notion.
Repeating the fact that luxury cars are now the only way to make money?
Henry Ford proved the assembly line makes cars cheaper. Thus luxury cars are now made on assembly lines.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
That was exactly mine. The used truck that I purchased. 15 years old. Looks and drives like new.
My wife’s cars are like that. She averages 5k a year.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Video preview. This isn't a work truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiSScBnjP0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive