Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:56 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,679,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Join the modern world.
I got here ahead of everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,176,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm with everyone who is irritated at the way they are pushing 4 door models. Move the rear cab wall forward and put the extra space in the bed.
Like a forward control? I think they did do a concept version of one with full portal axles it looks like a mini Mercedes Unimog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8FQGWmxqio

Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 PM

6,713 posts, read 4,367,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm with everyone who is irritated at the way they are pushing 4 door models. Move the rear cab wall forward and put the extra space in the bed.

I live not too far from the Outer Banks of NC. I bought a new CJ5 years ago for fishing. I had put different tires on it for the beach, Not much bigger but better for the beach. It drove great on the beach, Most of the time you didnt need 4wd. This one will sell well, but it wont be cheap.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:34 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,612,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Join the modern world. Jeeps are not just for off-roading weekend warriors. Adults with families like to drive Jeeps. Having four doors makes great business sense.
Nobody said there should not be 4-door versions, just that there should be 2-door ones as well.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You don’t know what you’re talking about it’s rated to tow 7650 LB towing capacity more than a Toyota Tacoma and a 1600 payload capacity.

https://www.jeep.com/gladiator.html?...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

That 7650 pounds isn’t gonna be a fun tow. Just as a visual it would be the equivalent of towing a F350 crew cab which weighs about 7500 pounds. Wait till buyers jack the suspension up with big tires and tons of road armor winches and bumpers. You’re not gonna be towing anywhere near that. Either way doesn’t matter. Jeep will sell every one they build. Because people are lemmings. Lots of Jeeps do not go off road and are nothing more than pavement queens like a lot of trucks out there. And truthfully 7600 pounds rating is really most likely on a base model stripper with the lowest gears they can stuff in the axles no power options no AC no anything. . The real tow capacity will most likely be derated in the 6500 pound average. Maybe a two door strippo model may get that high rating.

However I dont see why people won’t tow with the Gladiator. They most likely will not tow 7650 pounds. They will tow jet skis small boats or ultralight trailers. Fun activities. Hey my wife’s QX56 is rated to tow 9500 pounds. It’s never had a hitch ball inserted in the receiver. My F250 and F350 .....yeah I tow with those.

Chrysler simply makes crappy engines. The valve seats on all 3.7/4.7/5.7 for years have broken and literally fell out of the heads causing catastrophic damage. 4.7s are notorious for head gasket issues and overheating. Believe me I fixed a few heads those. The Grand Cherokees are awful to work on. They are also very sensitive to oil changes. Forget extended anything on a 4.7. It’s 3,000 miles or the damn lifters start ticking. Wait til one gets stuck and spits a rocker out of its spot.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:35 PM

16,568 posts, read 15,139,225 times
My 4.7l in the Dakota cruised to 100,000 miles with no issues before I sold it. It was a sweet V8.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:27 PM

6,713 posts, read 4,367,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Nobody said there should not be 4-door versions, just that there should be 2-door ones as well.

The Scrambler was a 2 door back in the early to the mid 80's. I liked them. But they didnt do well. Maybe offering them both might be a bit much for Jeep.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I'm sure their research data from sales of the four door Wrangler indicate that this is the best choice. Offering additional models would be costly production wise.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,902,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That 7650 pounds isn’t gonna be a fun tow. Just as a visual it would be the equivalent of towing a F350 crew cab which weighs about 7500 pounds. Wait till buyers jack the suspension up with big tires and tons of road armor winches and bumpers. You’re not gonna be towing anywhere near that. Either way doesn’t matter. Jeep will sell every one they build. Because people are lemmings. Lots of Jeeps do not go off road and are nothing more than pavement queens like a lot of trucks out there. And truthfully 7600 pounds rating is really most likely on a base model stripper with the lowest gears they can stuff in the axles no power options no AC no anything. . The real tow capacity will most likely be derated in the 6500 pound average. Maybe a two door strippo model may get that high rating.

However I dont see why people won’t tow with the Gladiator. They most likely will not tow 7650 pounds. They will tow jet skis small boats or ultralight trailers. Fun activities. Hey my wife’s QX56 is rated to tow 9500 pounds. It’s never had a hitch ball inserted in the receiver. My F250 and F350 .....yeah I tow with those.

Chrysler simply makes crappy engines. The valve seats on all 3.7/4.7/5.7 for years have broken and literally fell out of the heads causing catastrophic damage. 4.7s are notorious for head gasket issues and overheating. Believe me I fixed a few heads those. The Grand Cherokees are awful to work on. They are also very sensitive to oil changes. Forget extended anything on a 4.7. It’s 3,000 miles or the damn lifters start ticking. Wait til one gets stuck and spits a rocker out of its spot.
This will use the pentastar not the engines you list. It’s actually a very good engine used all over FCA’s product lines.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:23 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,896,257 times
I love all the shade that gets thrown because Jeep keeps expanding the Wrangler line, because of how ridiculous it looks compared to what these additions have done for Wrangler sales.

Jeep sells three times as many Wranglers now (JK, now JU versions) compared to the 2 door only TJ, due in large part to offering the 4 door long wheelbase version. They are not all mall cruisers either, as a lot of people buy and off road them.

There is no reason to think the pickup won't expand the volume and customer base even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive