Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 03:08 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Well let's work this out logically and it's clear that it's not a this or that issue.

If my DD is a jeep wrangler and I drive 1k miles/month (which is pretty standard), that means I'm putting on 12k miles per year on the road on my jeep. It would take some serious free time to be able to accumulate 1k per month in off-roading miles, especially when you spend a lot of that time crawling at 10-30mph. If I do an offroading trip on the weekend, say up a trail here in Arizona, we're talking about a 25-100 mile trip (with a portion of that being on road to get to the trail). If I do that 4x/month, that's only 100-400 miles each month before we subtract the mileage getting to the trail. So no matter what, of course the majority of your miles are going to be on the road.

See how this works?

10-30 MPH off road?
Have you ever been to Moab, UT? Even the mildest trails (like "Fins & things") are usually 1-5 MPH. More difficult trails (like "Elephant Hill", "Top Of The World", "Metal Masher", etc) are usually .5 to 2 MPH.

Regardless of what tv advertisements show, off-roaders are committed to showing respect for the land, and they do their level best to NOT tear things up by going fast just for the fun of it! They surely do not want to tear up their vehicles, either!
In all my off-road travel, whether in a Jeep, or a 4X4 pickup, or a 4X4 ATV, whether Moab or Forest Service skid trails, I never got anywhere near 30 MPH. I seldom got up to 20!

FYI, it takes 2 days to run the Rubicon Trail. IIRC, it is only 30 miles long. Again, .5 to 1 or 2 MPH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 03:12 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
10-30 MPH off road?
Have you ever been to Moab, UT? Even the mildest trails (like "Fins & things") are usually 1-5 MPH. More difficult trails (like "Elephant Hill", "Top Of The World", "Metal Masher", etc) are usually .5 to 2 MPH.

Regardless of what tv advertisements show, off-roaders are committed to showing respect for the land, and they do their level best to NOT tear things up by going fast just for the fun of it! They surely do not want to tear up their vehicles, either!
In all my off-road travel, whether in a Jeep, or a 4X4 pickup, or a 4X4 ATV, whether Moab or Forest Service skid trails, I never got anywhere near 30 MPH. I seldom got up to 20!

FYI, it takes 2 days to run the Rubicon Trail. IIRC, it is only 30 miles long. Again, .5 to 1 or 2 MPH.
I think the 30 mph was just a conservative estimate, but for us East Coast folks, we're not really driving all over Moab. It's more like driving up the beach in Outer Banks or some unpaved forest road. Or Downtown Charleston at high tide.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:28 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
I would like the double cab, changed to an extra cab. Still a 4 dr. That half sized back door to access the area behind the seat. That my Nissan Frontier had. That usually has 2 small jump seats that have storage under them. Gives that extra space for the bed.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:50 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
10-30 MPH off road?

I have but your average Wrangler owner has not. The trails near me in Arizona are traversable at about 5-25mph. Were it not for washboarding you could probably get a little higher

Besides I think we’re on the same team here

Old 11-30-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I would like the double cab, changed to an extra cab. Still a 4 dr. That half sized back door to access the area behind the seat. That my Nissan Frontier had. That usually has 2 small jump seats that have storage under them. Gives that extra space for the bed.
The Galdiator allows you to remove the back bulkhead and drop the rear seats. It’s better than a Frontier.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:18 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
10-30 MPH off road?

Whoops! I confused the Rubicon Trail with the Dusy Ershim Trail.
The Dusy Ershim is 30 miles long, and takes 2 days to run. https://www.trails.com/us/ca/fresno/dusy-ershim-trail

The Rubicon is 18.7 miles long, and can be done in one day. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...icon-4x4-trail

My son has done both in his '03 Rubicon, I have done neither. In fact, I can not do the DE due to altitude. If I go over 8000 feet, I need oxygen.
I have done the sand dunes near Oceano, CA. Even there, we rarely got over 20 mph. It simply isn't safe! There is something incredibly frightening to run up the gentle slope of a dune, and discover the other side drops off straight down for about 30 (or more) feet!

Old 11-30-2018, 07:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The Galdiator allows you to remove the back bulkhead and drop the rear seats. It’s better than a Frontier.
I think the Avalanche has that option for a while.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:46 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I think the Avalanche has that option for a while.
Yes it did was the first to do so. The Avalanche was GMs first vehicle to use electric steering that was developed by their Saab division when they owned them.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:27 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Ah but it does have that extra space!
The rear bulkhead is removable, the back seats fold down, and bam, extra space all the way up to the drivers seat.
I'm willing to bet that doesn't help if you are hauling plywood.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm willing to bet that doesn't help if you are hauling plywood.
Nobody’s actually hauling plywood so often they need a dedicated vehicle to do it. It’s a truck for people want to camp or pull their jetskies or lug around their dirt bikes, not roofing contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive