Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Put it in your pocket or brief case or purse. You shouldn't be looking at your cell phone when driving.

How am I supposed to read my text messages then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 09:27 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
This is where I put my phone in my Jeep.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Most drivers seem to just keep it in their hand for easy texting and internet browsing accessibility.
Yes; I seem to always be behind them at not-red-anymore-lights, or in the oncoming lane of traffic as they drift in & out of their lane.

The husband had a girl bounce over a curb & plow right into him as he got his green left-turn arrow & there were witnesses that stated they saw her texting ... she didn't even hit the brakes. She actually posted on FB the next day that she "couldn't see" because she had a fight with her BF & was crying. She literally posted: "Don't ever cry & drive!"

Old 12-04-2018, 01:06 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Volvos are the worst at this, as it has to do with safety - not allowing occupants to put objects where they might cause injuries in a crash. Had two '05s and the cupholders were set so far back we got tennis elbow drinking coffee while driving.

I suppose they could have molded in a rectangular recess or modular phone holder by how, but then they're contributing to driver distraction.

Maybe cellphones belong put away while driving. Hmm.
i have an s80 and it has a ledge above the heat/stereo controls and a channel for the cable thru the stick shift mount to the center console that has a usb/aux plug. i blutooth (tune-in/waze/pi player/fone/...) and the large screen is not distracting.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:20 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Door pocket, under the seat, back seat, glove compartment, trunk
What if those are all full of McDonald's wrappers and other pieces of garbage though? Clearly there's no where to put the phone.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How those magnets work with phones in a protective case? I have Otter box which is quite robust.

I stick the magnet inside the case. I have been using the logitech drive+( https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-One-.../dp/B00KNU9L1Q ) magnet thing and it has always worked fine. I use it with the iPhone 7+. If you're concerned about the magnet being strong enough to work through the case, you can always put the madnet on the outside of the Otterbox. I use it on the inside though and no problems yet.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:24 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
I put mine in the center console. There’s a USB port inside, so I just plug it in and close the console. I use CarPlay, so I can access everything without touching the phone. Plus it stays charged up. (Lincoln MKZ)

Old 12-05-2018, 08:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I prefer to use a PGS (Paper Geographic System) for directions. Look it up on the map, write down the directions on a piece of paper. Put paper in shirt pocket.

There, solved that one for you. Next!
As I said, I do not use waze for directions, but for traffic, speed trap, constitutions etc and to direct me along alternate route when my planned route is impractical.

The problem is not directions so a solution for obtaining directions is not a solution.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
How am I supposed to read my text messages then?
Many Bluetooth units will read text messages to you when they arrive.

You can respond by tapping your earpiece and dictating a response. Then tell it yes to send. Make sure you get one that reads back your message before you send it or you may get surprised by what you say in a response.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I did not have this problem when I had my truck but since moving into a sedan my cellphone has nowhere to go. Putting in the cup holder is the game of round holes and square pegs. Sometimes I just throw it on the floor or slide it between my leg and the seat, if you can believe that. And yes, I have tried just about every cellphone mount there is. The 8 plus has gotten too big and havy for most of them. You would think by now there would be a built in holding place in cars. Considering how long it took them to come with cup holders, I am not surprised.
There is in mine Nissan Murano...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive