Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
There's a dealer here in NC that still has some 'brand new' 2015 model Buick's left.

https://www.randymarionchevrolet.net...nc-id-20569702
https://www.randymarionchevy.net/Veh...-NC/3079649633
King Of Price... sure, buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
No, the OP does not "mean well" with this thread. He is on a crazy, freaking, anti-Asian rant. It's not about cars. It's about his hatred of Japan and Korea. Anyone who started reading this thread before his post got "sanitized" knows that.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:38 AM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
One also has to account for Uber. Plenty of folks have ditched cars for Uber now or other similar apps.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"Ford EcoBoost Turbo Replacement Cost? About $2250"

Just another component that can break. In addition to all of the normal parts that can break. Never mind the extra stress on that aluminum alloy engine.

God help those who can't afford a new car every 3 years. You know - the "poor" people. The used car folks.
Not sure of the point you are trying to make, other than your dislike of turbocharging, which is fine and your choice.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:33 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
So what's better, a foreign branded car made in the US or an imported GM?
Being in the auto industry, i generally buy who is making my paychecks. The only exception to that was the two Asian OEM's i worked for. I just could not get myself to do it, most likely because of my dislike for the managment of the companies and their distain for American workers.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:04 AM

805 posts, read 1,084,553 times
Currently, my garage would allude to your post 100%. I have:

- 2008 Ford Taurus X at 135,000 miles- runs beautifully, only issue has been an oil leak (purchased at 48,000).
- 2008 Ford Expedition EL at 200,000 miles- runs great, no issues since purchased at 191,000.
- 2010 Ford Fusion at 176,000 miles- awesome car, no major issues whatsoever in my entire time owning it

I have no plans to replace any of these vehicles soon (hope this post doesn't make me eat my words later LOL) and have them for the long haul! I greatly appreciate the longevity because there's no way I'd be able to afford a new or slightly used one at this point!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:10 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
The CEO of GM, Mary Barra, was paid $22 million last year (not counting any stock options), the highest of the 3 Detroit-based auto makers.

She has been around GM for years, but in technocrat roles, not real automotive design & development roles. She was VP of human resources, and managed a plant. She pushed GM to release the Bolt, a pure EV that has sold a few thousand and gets good reviews, but is not going to save GM.

To my mind, she is a diversity hire, not someone who has really earned the role: she's touted as "the first woman to run a car company", yippee!

What GM needs is another Lee Iacocca, a dynamic leader who can rally the troops, cajole the unions to fall in line, and get some innovative products out. What they don't need is "former chairman of Boeing, knows how to lead a large org." or "the car industry's first fill-in-the-blank diversity-hire" or "has worked for GM all his life and loves cars and knows how to talk to Congress" (that's at least somewhat qualified).

No, they need Super-Man, a genius, ruthless yet charismatic, an Elon Musk type of driven visionary (sans the personal issues). An automotive Steve Jobs. That's what $22 million ought to buy you.

They have the plants, the personnel, and the market. Now what they need is a reason to exist, some goals to achieve. I don't get GM -- why must they be so lackluster?

Old 12-05-2018, 05:38 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
She pushed GM to release the Bolt, a pure EV that has sold a few thousand and gets good reviews, but is not going to save GM.
GM has sold a lot of EVs, enough that they're about to lose their credits.
IMO, these are really long term "test" vehicles that gather extensive real world data. They don't make money.
It's good to have experience if you plan to be part of the coming wave.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Being in the auto industry, i generally buy who is making my paychecks. The only exception to that was the two Asian OEM's i worked for. I just could not get myself to do it, most likely because of my dislike for the managment of the companies and their distain for American workers.
In my state, that would be Hyundai-Mobis, Honda, and Mercedes. Very soon will also be Toyota and Mazda.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You pay yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive