Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:47 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

The big 3 can help fund road projects and road safety... Why would people want cars if the roads suck? It takes a suv or truck for some roads for the ground clearance and pot holes

Plus a good pr move to get people feeling good about the companies wouldn't hurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
The big 3 can help fund road projects and road safety... Why would people want cars if the roads suck? It takes a suv or truck for some roads for the ground clearance and pot holes

Ha! They can't even fund their pension system without US tax dollars, much less a pot hole.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
The question should be....Why is GM facing the problems it is?
What problems ?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Ha! They can't even fund their pension system without US tax dollars, much less a pot hole.
It would be effective though... Show ads of them fixing roads then their car driving over brand new roads each time. Hiring Americans to fix roads, drive American car later. Ford, made for America's roads. A good tag line at end of commercial

Subaru has their outdoor tag, Toyota is the soccer mom's, what do the big 3 have outside of construction commercials that only show their trucks?

Big 3 issue is they got no marketing point for their cars that stick.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
My next suv is most likely gonna be another import.
My next truck will most likely be a Ford. Simply because the imports dont make a truck that will tow my trailer. Otherwise my choice would be a Tundra. The tundra would be maxed out as towing capacity so it’s too close for my comfort. Plus they don’t have a diesel.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:51 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Their strategy of producing and marketing trucks and SUVs seems to be working...for now. Yes the F-150 is the best selling model in North America, but what about abroad? Large pickups have little to no appeal in certain key markets (*cough* China).

Also Ford is focusing on SUVs, but some of them are crap! The EcoSport is underpowered for American tastes and doesn’t really do anything that an HR-V or Kona can do.

Abandoning the small and mid size sedan markets to the Japanese and Koreans - that is like retreating to your cave to wait out the last ice age.

How long will gas stay at $2.xx/gallon ? If something happened in Saudi the price would instantly be $4/gal and then all those trucks and suvs would be sitting on dealer lots. There was a time when America produced quite good sedans. Who is in electrics except Tesla ? GM's has abandoned the segment twice and the other two are just followers. The last credible effort cost what $40K ? While the Prius was selling for low $20sK ? The US needs some measure of protection (tariffs) on imported vehicles AND they need better products - they have always needed better products. They keep milking their cash cows (like the minivan) until the cow is dead. I also hate to say this but we also need higher fuel prices - to pay for infrastructure and get consumers to embrace mass transit and fuel efficiency.

I would love to sit in a product meeting at one of the big three and listen to how they try to keep trying to leverage past investment instead of working on future products...

Old 12-03-2018, 11:05 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
It's not my job to save the US auto industry. That's what their CEO's get paid millions of dollars a year to do.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:11 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
It takes a suv or truck for some roads for the ground clearance and pot holes
What roads? A jeep trail in the middle of Alaska??

Old 12-03-2018, 11:13 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Sorry but I swore off the big three back in the 90's. Right now I own 3 Toyotas and they have been the model of reliability. Others may think they are dull but I really don't give a crap what others think about my vehicles. The fact they start up and get me from point A to B every time I ask them too is all I care about.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
I love my Chevy Volt. After 5 years, it still feels like a high quality vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive