Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Exactly.

If the interior is not clean or cleaned. Only means car was not properly maintained. And not worth any more time.

And take the stupid bumper stickers off.
Taking a car in for detailing the day before a sale says absolutely nothing about how it was kept before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 06:04 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Taking a car in for detailing the day before a sale says absolutely nothing about how it was kept before that.
Most with limited knowledge of used cars can tell if a used car was well kept or recently detailed.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,153 times
It looks like it has some of those scratch and win stickers they put on your french fries at McDonald's on the bumper...

One of them even looks to have the Coca-Cola logo on it.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
And amazingly enough people still list and show their cars with filthy interiors, unwashed windows and a generally unkept vehicle.

And while anyone can take a car to a retailer, most sellers will NOT spend the $2/300 it will take to clean and detail a car. You can detail a car all day long but you can’t detai away wear or mechanical issues, so if you know what vto look for you can tell. Basically a filthy car just gives me a excuse to automatically knock off $500 off the price

Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Quick tip. If you're selling your car and want to give the impression its been well maintained you should have the engine steam cleaned at the car wash. I did that after major repair work and wanted to get the smell of radiator fluid out of the engine( intake manifold gasket repair). The engine compartment looked new like it did ten years earlier and when I had a jump start by a AAA driver several months later he said he was impressed on how I took care of the car. The cost for the steam clean was $20, well worth it.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:09 AM

3,699 posts, read 4,843,692 times
Quote:
Yes, but having it detailed (whether professionally or just washed and vacuumed yourself) will get more potential buyers attention to come look at it.

I see this all the time with boats, cars and houses. Spend just a couple hours even, it'll help a lot. Many won't even come and look at a filthy vehicle.

OK, an estate, divorce, older car sitting in your yard, or something along those lines is excusable but a typical running car that you want to sell ? Come on, take a hose and a vacuum to the thing!

Old 12-05-2018, 12:52 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,055 times
I always laugh at the ads that read like this: "Great car, Low Miles, well maintained, perfect condition, doesn't run..."

And then there's the cars with salvage titles at high book value. And cars with no titles being sold. Um, sure, okay.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:54 PM

10,409 posts, read 6,946,810 times
The worst now are just searching through the classifieds and not finding a flipper. I swear craigslist is 90% flipped car ads.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:05 PM

155 posts, read 125,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So, kids, does this for-sale pic make you want to rush out and buy?
If that car is low miles.. even if it isn't, then it's a 1.9T motor .. Interested.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The worst now are just searching through the classifieds and not finding a flipper. I swear craigslist is 90% flipped car ads.
Yeah that was my biggest issue when looking for a used car.

And the car stories man. Jesus Christ i didn’t know wether to laugh or cry at the absurdity of some of them

Best one
Guy tells me it’s his brother in laws car. He to,d him to sell it. It’s in his BIL name and on his insurance but he will sign everything over. So I ask if he has the power of attorney. Well in this corpse it wasn’t needed becaus ethey talked and it was ok.
When I was telling him I need to think about it he says. I have another car for sale

A guy was selling a car for his boss who was out of the country.

Sellingit for my mom who is I the hospital. Mom has a different name than the seller

Just absolute bs. I finally got to the point where my first question was “is the car registered in YOUR name” and “how long have you owned the car”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive