Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times

Advertisements

My favorite is tires. Tires that have been replaced one at a time show an owner who fixed things only when it broke. Look for perfectly matched tires, that were bought together and rotated. Or at least in pairs. And check for cupping, a sign of lack of alignment.

Also look for pristine back seats. Avoid a car that has transported children, who are generally destructive little monsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:02 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Service records, service records, service records.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
......and you cannot believe everything from Carfax

Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 AM

61,640 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Body imperfections masking accidents and leaks.
"Little monsters" might make the interior dirty but don't actually damage vital car parts.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:03 AM

776 posts, read 955,013 times
Engine compartment.

Oily leaks, frayed belts, cracked or split rad hoses, birds nest in the air intake box, battery post corrosion, and radiator with green corrosion drips on the core fins.

Interior. Seat covers with rips or stains. Brake pedal rubber pad worn on the left side, indicates a driver that "rides the brake pedal " with their left foot, causing premature wear of the brake pads and rotors. Stains on the door panels, or dash board. Dashboard that doesn't work, or has a engine check light permanently on . Steering wheel with worn rim, or cracked horn pad.

Exterior. Worn wiper blades, or wiper arms with soft spring arms. Lights that don't work, cracked or broken tail or signal lights. Broken mirror glass or missing mirror. Door dings, and broken front or rear bumper plastic parts. Trunk interior. Look for rust stains, signs of interior body panel repairs or welding after a rear end collision. Water leak lines around the trunk seals. Moldy smell may indicate a "flood zone car ".

Physical tests. Open all the doors. trunk and hood. Look at the door hinges for rust and or misalignment that may indicate poor body repairs after a collision. Shocks. Push down HARD on each corner of the body, and see how many times the suspension rebounds. Once down and up is the desired result. more movement may indicate worn shocks or struts. Pull the oil dip stick before you start the engine and LOOK at the oil level. Smell it, noting if it smells like gasoline, or if it has water bubbles in the oil. Remember that oil and water don't mix. Pull off the oil filler cap and look inside it. You are looking for a light or white coloured foam, which is not good. It indicates water in the oil system.

Now start the car and let it idle for at least 5 minutes. listen to it run. Note unusual sounds like tapping, rattles, or squeaks. Look at the exhaust pipe, looking for smoke or water dripping out of it. Smell the exhaust. looking for a oily smell, or black soot coming out of it. Go back to the engine and look for coolant leaks and feel the rad hoses for bulges and or loose clamps.

Drive it. Go at least 10 miles. Try to drive it over some train tracks, and rough road surfaces. Listen to the sounds it makes. Drive in a straight line at 40 mph and let go of the wheel and see if it drifts or pulls to one side or the other. Now do a straight ahead stop, fairly hard and note if it pulls to one side or the other. You just did a simple test of the brakes and the steering system. Back it up and listen for a drive line clunk when you shift into reverse. That indicates excessive play in the driveline linkage.

I know this sounds like too much effort, but remember it is YOUR money you are spending.

So how do I know all this ? 52 years of driving, and I used to be a buyer for a number of medium size used car dealers here in Toronto. In a average month I would look at around 150 cars and light trucks at the auction, and buy perhaps 30 percent of them.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Remove the oil cap and look down into the filler hole. Does it look clean or sludgy?

Any thing I do is open the gas door and see how nasty it looks inside. People who are meticulous with maintenance usually clean that area when washing the car, same with the door jambs.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:49 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,055 times
Look at the seller.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:38 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Service records, service records, service records.

That, and getting a sense for how the car was driven. Highway commuter car vs city car. Boy racer. The odometer reading doesn't necessarily tell you how much wear the car has. It doesn't take much to recondition the car making the interior immaculate and removing the door dings.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Tires are also my first clue. Different brand and model tires all around is always a bad sign. I also check the oil and look down the oil fill hole. I then look the engine over real good top to bottom and look for missing bolts and sloppy/poor repair work and also yellow pen junk yard markings. If somebody put a used alternator or water pump from a junk yard on the car, it is a sign of cheap/poor maintenance and repairs. It doesn't mean I won't make them an offer if the car still seems to be in good condition and runs/drives well. It just influences the amount I will offer.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
On a stick shift car at about 20 MPH in 3rd gear floor it and see if the clutch slips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive