Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 07:53 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Extra-high pressures are a PITA - hard ride, light to squirrelly steering, extra centerline wear on the tire's critical main rib.

Here's a technique I was taught by an experienced race and performance designer: proportional pressure.
  1. Take the tire's maximum cold pressure and USTA load rating.
  2. Measure the load on each tire of the vehicle (for road use, just a front and back figure is enough).
  3. Figure the proportion of actual load to maximum load.
  4. Adjust the pressure to the same proportion.

So, if a tire has a 44psi max and is rated at 1500 pounds max, and the actual loading is 1150, the pressure to start with is (1150 / 1500) * 44... or 33.7psi.

In most cases this pressure should be close to the manufacturer recommendation, but a few pounds change and differential pressure front to rear can produce amazing results.

Of course, use extreme caution if a large difference (more than 3-4 psi) or a wide variance from manufacturer recommendations results from the calculation. OTOH, I have a high-performance car that runs 22psi front and about 14 psi rear... because it's very light and has huge tires.
1. "hard ride, light to squirrelly steering, extra centerline wear..": Some folks here seem to not care about those things, or they don't bother them.

2. "Proportional Pressure": I drive a 2015 Hyundai. Do you think the sticker on its door pillar will will include total max load, let alon individual axle weights? I don't think so! But I like and agree with the concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 08:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
I don't get excessive centreline wear at 45 PSI. I've gone through to sets of tires at that and, if anything, I'm still getting a little extra at the edges.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
2. "Proportional Pressure": I drive a 2015 Hyundai. Do you think the sticker on its door pillar will will include total max load, let alon individual axle weights? I don't think so! But I like and agree with the concept.
Downside of the technique: you need a weight pad to determine wheel loading.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Extra-high pressures are a PITA - hard ride, light to squirrelly steering, extra centerline wear on the tire's critical main rib.

Here's a technique I was taught by an experienced race and performance designer: proportional pressure.
  1. Take the tire's maximum cold pressure and USTA load rating.
  2. Measure the load on each tire of the vehicle (for road use, just a front and back figure is enough).
  3. Figure the proportion of actual load to maximum load.
  4. Adjust the pressure to the same proportion.

So, if a tire has a 44psi max and is rated at 1500 pounds max, and the actual loading is 1150, the pressure to start with is (1150 / 1500) * 44... or 33.7psi.

In most cases this pressure should be close to the manufacturer recommendation, but a few pounds change and differential pressure front to rear can produce amazing results.

Of course, use extreme caution if a large difference (more than 3-4 psi) or a wide variance from manufacturer recommendations results from the calculation. OTOH, I have a high-performance car that runs 22psi front and about 14 psi rear... because it's very light and has huge tires.

Thanks a lot for the above calculations Quietude! And I did locate the GAWR weight figures, on a separate sticker nearby.

For my 2015 Hyundai:
Door pillar sticker(psi): F33, R33. Calculated: F35, R32.5

For a 2004 Toyota:
Door pillar sticker(psi): F30, R30. Calculated: F32, R29

I always did suspect that front-wheel drive econos like above would have a forward weight bias. Interesting how what the vehicle mfgs of these cars recommended ended up in between the calculated front and rear cold tire pressures.

For BMWs and many Subarus, the B-pillar stickers indicate the opposite, IE: F29psi, R34, or something to that effect. The Subarus tend to bump up the front psi to 31-33 for constant heavier loads, as indicated on their door stickers.

Summary:
I will run the pressures I calculated for a week and see what we think. Our commute times to and from work are both under 30 minutes, mostly highway and some local roads, varying amounts of traffic.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 05-06-2019 at 06:06 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I don't get excessive centreline wear at 45 PSI. I've gone through to sets of tires at that and, if anything, I'm still getting a little extra at the edges.

Do you carry a full/excess load in your vehicle at least half the time you're driving?

Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Decades ago drove Cads.
Door jam sticker called for 24lbs...nice ride but wore the tread down.
Changed to 32 lbs and tires lasted longer.
Those days always would replace in pairs, new up front. Could always feel road grip even with pwr steering.
24psi. Sounds typical for the bias-ply tire era!

Because of their construction, bias-plys, compared to radials, had stiffer sidewalls relative to their tread.

Why do you think cars, especially larger domestic models, were so softly sprung back then, along with such cushy seats that you'd sink right to the floor in? Combined with the less advanced suspensions of 50+ years ago, bias ply tires tended to give a rougher ride. Softer seats plus gentle suspension tuning, along with higher profile tires, even 80-85-series, helped smooth things out, at the price of less than nimble handling or emergency responsiveness. Hence the recommended cold pressures back then in the low to mid-20s psi.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Do you carry a full/excess load in your vehicle at least half the time you're driving?
I don't. The rear end only weighs maybe 5-600lbs and, though I do tow occasionally and sometimes put 500lbs of wood or gravel in the back, it's more often empty.

I would think though that with steel belted radials, over-pressure would cause the sidewalls to bulge and make the center of the tread bend inward.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:17 AM

Mods: Delete please!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Downside of the technique: you need a weight pad to determine wheel loading.
No you don't. All you need is the load placard from your vehicle, the one with GAWR(gross axle weight) listed for each axle.

Take the GAWR for each axle, divide it by 2(remember: per tire!), and plug that figure into Quietude's formula in post #29, this thread.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:59 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
UPDATE: Filled up my tires once since starting this thread. Filled up each tire until the car's computer detected the appropriate level beeped. PSI has varied between 31 to 36. Varies depending on weather (it was winter, now we're into approaching) and how much I drive (usually 20 minutes, but every now and then over 2 hours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive