Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times

Advertisements

Just saw a Nissan Maxima commercial and they’re still using the term 4 door sports car to advertise the Maxima. Other than having a V6 and 4 doors it doesn’t strike me as a sports car. Of all the FWD four door cars made today, which ones do you feel deserve the description of “4 door sports car” over the FWD Maxima? Leave your “FWD cars aren’t sports cars” comments behind please. We know the best sports cars (two or four door) are RWD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 AM

574 posts, read 382,183 times
Well, I think that sports cars are traditionally coupes and that they should continue to be. That said, not everyone can have a coupe as their only vehicle. Therefore, manufacturers are starting to "wake up" to that thought. Porsche specifically makes fun SUVs and a 4 door sports car variant

Old 12-08-2018, 11:37 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,097 times
Nissan has used this tag line since at least 1995, maybe earlier. Their point is that the car was designed for handling. In the 1990's few 4 door sedans were so it clearly differentiated them. I think the argument is harder to make today.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,217 times
Interesting that a 4 door SUV is now a sports car. Maybe we need to define this term. I'd like to suggest a few characteristics which I think have been associated with sports cars:

-Suspension tuned for handling rather than comfort, typically "stiff"
-Low center of gravity, low body roll
-Lightweight
-Often low to the ground
-Driver-focused, passengers are an after-thought
-Tight, responsive steering with good feedback
-"Not slow" by the standards of the day, even if there are faster vehicles
-Probably has some sort of audible exhaust note

Old 12-08-2018, 11:41 AM

61,638 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Interesting that a 4 door SUV is now a sports car. Maybe we need to define this term. I'd like to suggest a few characteristics which I think have been associated with sports cars:

-Suspension tuned for handling rather than comfort, typically "stiff"
-Low center of gravity, low body roll
-Lightweight
-Often low to the ground
-Driver-focused, passengers are an after-thought
-Tight, responsive steering with good feedback
-"Not slow" by the standards of the day, even if there are faster vehicles
-Probably has some sort of audible exhaust note
Yes. This ^^^.
Sadly, for a while now "Sport" is just a marketing gimmick.
Good read:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ar-definition/

Old 12-08-2018, 12:29 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The only cars that would come close would be non-Quattro Audis, as they are FWD, and have sporting characteristics. There's a world of difference between a FWD Audi and a Maxima, no matter how Nissan tries to convey the perception of sport.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-08-2018, 12:31 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
When the Camry and Corolla SE gets advertised as a sports car, then Nissan can do it too.

It should read "sporty" aka maybe less boring than the regular ones.
And, no there is nothing wrong the the LE Camry IMO, as long as you are happy with an A to B reliable transportation.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:42 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,097 times
You have to realize, 99.9% of car buyers couldn't car less about 'sporty' as long as the car looks good. Marketing works in this case. I've owned a lot of Audis in my life, including an RS4, RS6, and an S8. None of them are a sports car either, although they are performance cars that drive 'sporty'.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:43 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Just saw a Nissan Maxima commercial and they’re still using the term 4 door sports car to advertise the Maxima. Other than having a V6 and 4 doors it doesn’t strike me as a sports car. Of all the FWD four door cars made today, which ones do you feel deserve the description of “4 door sports car” over the FWD Maxima? Leave your “FWD cars aren’t sports cars” comments behind please. We know the best sports cars (two or four door) are RWD.
It's certainly a marketing tag more than anything else. Just as many cars are marketed as "sporty". In the end, it's a relative term. I see the Maxima in the same group as the old Acura TL's, and sportier trims of Camry's and accords. In the end, it may have a more power engine, but it doesn't have the full package. And it make sense, these cars are still prioritizing reliability and comfort.

I don't even think they are more athletic than the normal versions of BMW's and Audi's, let alone the serious sports sedans along the lines of BMW M, Audi RS, and Mercedes AMG. Other 4-door sports sedans are the Subaru WRX and WRX STI, Panamera, V badged Cadillacs, Tesla, etc.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:23 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
To me "sports car" means two seater roadster with a soft top. All others are pretenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive