Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 07:18 AM

1,062 posts, read 967,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
A Frankenmostercar that is over complicated, does not deliver the type of MPG savings that would be expected, cost, waste of resources via duplicate-systems.

Buy a subcompact, be easy on the gas-pedal and get nearly the same mileage as
a Frankenmonstercar.

https://www.motor1.com/features/2284...fficient-cars/
In the real world, hybrids get significantly better gas milaege. I had a Ford C-Max and got 35mpg mixed. I now have a VW Golf Alltrack and get in the low 20s.

The issue that most people are ignorant and look at the highway number "Because I drive on the highway", not understanding that sitting in traffic counts as "city"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Something must be wrong with your car. There is no way it should be getting 20mpg. The weight of the hybrid system is like having one large passenger.
Yeah - I have averaged 29mpg in my Outback over the last 115k miles - city and highway driving.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:08 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,262,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
A Frankenmostercar that is over complicated, does not deliver the type of MPG savings that would be expected, cost, waste of resources via duplicate-systems.

Buy a subcompact, be easy on the gas-pedal and get nearly the same mileage as
a Frankenmonstercar.
Check out this from my commute today (engine ran for a couple minutes due to low temps outside). Can your subcompact get nearly this mileage (both today's MPG and the lifetime fuel mileage...)? Not even close. I love my frankenmonster car for commuting and errand running.
Attached Thumbnails
Is hybrid the way to go?-img_2767.jpg  

Old 12-12-2018, 04:39 PM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
On the highway, weight has relatively little impact on fuel economy. Subaru just doesn't make very efficient engines or particularly aerodynamic cars. Around town, the added weight of batteries is completely worthwhile due to the gains of regenerative braking - pure electric cars have greater range in stop and go traffic than they do cruising on the highway.

Jeez. I get 24 or 25 mpg out of my 3,800 pound 6-cylinder Outback. I don't see Subaru as particularly better or worse than anything else. To do better, you shed weight and internal resistance with a 4 cylinder turbo. That's what Subaru will be doing in the next generation in 2020 when the 6-cylinder goes away.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:30 PM

22,579 posts, read 24,400,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Check out this from my commute today (engine ran for a couple minutes due to low temps outside). Can your subcompact get nearly this mileage (both today's MPG and the lifetime fuel mileage...)? Not even close. I love my frankenmonster car for commuting and errand running.

Yeah, that is not your averaged MPG, but a snapshot that will not be maintained.

I had a Chevy Metro and I would get 50MPG.

There is a ton of technology that could be applied to any non-hybrid vehicle, giving it
just as good of mileage as the Frankenmonstercar.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:58 PM

6,337 posts, read 11,506,538 times
A lot will depend on your mode of driving. If it is a lot of stop and go city driving hybrids are the way to go! Btw I get 41.5 on my C-max. It goes down to 38.5 on the interstate. But it is a tiny bit better using cruise control because the CC will brake going down a hill while my foot would be inclined to let it coast.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:14 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,152,402 times
I've had my '15 Prius for 4 years and 100K+ miles. So far my repairs are ZERO, only routine maintenance/expenses (fuel, oil, filters, tires, wiper blades and car washes). I bought it for cheap miles and am very happy with it for that. Most of my miles are open highway at 72-82 mph, but I also do a fair amount of "city" driving. Overall average is 44-45 mpg, lower in the winter, higher in the summer. The newer models get better fuel mileage, especially the Prius Prime.

If you live in a state with lower speed limits you should do better. I like to keep up with the flow of traffic, mostly for everyone's safety. I can increase my mpg by 5 or so if I keep the speed under 65, but that doesn't happen often. I live next to I-90 where the speed limit is 80. State highways have 70 mph speed limit.

If you want a slightly roomier car for not much more money, the Camry Hybrid might be a good pick. I'll be considering it for my next purchase, along with another Prius and a few others.

My previous "car" was a Ford F250 PSD 4x4 that I drove for 14 years. It was fine when I didn't drive much, but then I started a job that required lots of driving (30K miles/year), and the pickup just cost too much per mile (fuel, maintenance and repairs). My wife loved the truck for x-country trips for all the cabin room, which is why she's not crazy about the Prius. It's not "cramped", but there's not much room for moving around. You get in your seat and stay put until you stop and get out. That's fine for me, as I seldom drive for more than 100 miles without stopping, but when we take off x-country it's a bit of a problem. We try to stop every 200 miles or so to stretch our legs. I imagine a Camry would be better in that regard -- providing a little more wiggle room.

I do like the hybrid, especially with the eCVT. Anything else I've driven lately just seems kind of clunky and unrefined. (Not that the Prius is "refined", but its power/drive train is. It did take some getting used to. I wasn't crazy about it for the first several months I owned it, but it grew on me.)

Old 12-13-2018, 02:24 AM

21,427 posts, read 8,633,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Something must be wrong with your car. There is no way it should be getting 20mpg. The weight of the hybrid system is like having one large passenger.
Subaru doesn't make the Crosstrek hybrid any more. They only got a few MPG more than a gas-powered Crosstrek, which meant that the premium price wasn't justified.

That said, I still am happy with the car. Mileage isn't that big a deal as I live in the city and don't drive very much, and the car suits my needs better than any of the other hybrids I looked at.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 12-13-2018 at 02:33 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 02:57 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Subaru doesn't make the Crosstrek hybrid any more. They only got a few MPG more than a gas-powered Crosstrek, which meant that the premium price wasn't justified.

That said, I still am happy with the car. Mileage isn't that big a deal as I live in the city and don't drive very much, and the car suits my needs better than any of the other hybrids I looked at.
Subaru started making a hybrid Crosstrek again for the 2019 model year. It’s a $35,000 car. That’s pretty big money for a lifted 5 door Impreza with some body cladding. This version is a plug-in hybrid so it’s all electric in short drives. For someone with a mostly around town driving pattern, you’d likely make it back on fuel savings.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:54 AM

16,128 posts, read 10,269,045 times
As a guy who drives cars into the ground I am on the fence about hybrids. Sure that one poster got big miles out of the original battery but 300,000 is by far the exception, most go by 150,000. With the cost of thousands to replace, and with the higher purchase price even used, I'm not sure all that does not offset the gas savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive