Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,801,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A lot of people will quit driving those oversize vehicles, when they quit making clown cars, and again build cars that average people can sit up in, not being a contortionist which can't do any more to get into one.

I can see the issue with the smaller vehicles but most mid sized sedans should be adequate for larger person if your only needs are to get from point A to point B. I have a Lacrosse and fail to see how anyone of large size would complain even if they were in the back seat. With the fold down seats I can even fit a 10 foot 2*4 in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:49 AM

4,180 posts, read 3,709,878 times
My truck is paid off and I get about 14-15 mpg around town, 17 tops on the highway. It doesn't make sense to trade it in on something more fuel efficient because then I would also have a car payment to deal with. Its cheaper just to keep it.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,796,413 times
I drove a midsize SUV and decided to go with a Camry when it got totaled. It did seem kind of ridiculous driving by myself in a SUV all the time. What I really need is a truly small pickup like my 96 Tacoma was. It seems like a market is being missed but I guess truly small pickup sales would undermine big truck sales.

I did appreciate the big SUV when it got totaled by a nut in a stolen truck with me in the SUV. Came out with just a separated shoulder.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:19 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,196,183 times
The USA is now the largest producer of oil in the world. We out produce Saudi Arabia. Add that to what is produced by OPEC and others and you have a temporary oil glut.

Here's the good news:

Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,690,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The USA is now the largest producer of oil in the world. We out produce Saudi Arabia. Add that to what is produced by OPEC and others and you have a temporary oil glut.

Here's the good news:
lol, predictions...

Old 12-11-2018, 12:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,389,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
What? I can buy diesel 2008 Ford F-250 or F-350 4x4s with normal miles all day here in Seattle for $12-15k. Let me know where you live. Sounds like an untapped used truck market.
SE US. NC, specifically.

If you have a 4x4, upper trim level (leather), diesel truck, it will almost never see below 40-50% of its purchase price unless it's totaled.

Beware, if you have a 2WD diesel, it will be much harder to sell. Local dealer can't sell a "brand new" 2017 Ram 3500 because it's a base model and 2WD.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,682,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Do you live in NJ? How would you know what I know in my own area?
The soccer moms in their SUVs arent hauling trash to the dump like you are. Trash haulers are not what Im talking about.
Those soccer moms are driving SUVs, because they need to haul a bunch of kids and their equipment, and that is impossible to do with those tiny cars they make today. And when the bad weather hits, they feel a heck of a lot safer driving them, and can go when it is not safe for a regular car to be on the road. They also drive them for pure safety reasons to protect their families. The Government agencies that watch over safety, recently said those small cars are 4 times more apt to have serious injury and death in an accident than Medium Size and Larger SUVs and Pickups in a newspaper article I recently saw.

The people both rural and in cities, are flocking away from those tiny cars, and moving to SUVs and 4 door pickups, as those tiny cars no longer fill their transportation needs.

Because of the movement away from cars, Ford and GM are going to quit making cars that people no longer want, and are going to quit wasting billions of dollars developing the next generation of cars, that they will not recover the development dollars, let alone make a profit.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM

34,843 posts, read 30,905,811 times
I drove a six cylinder Cherokee.

On the highway, I can usually get 27/28 a gallon. To me, that's acceptable. The 4WD is very useful in the snow. We just had a record breaking snowstorm. The Cherokee got right up the driveway, where my Elantra couldn't get up the driveway at all in half as much snow last year.

I use the cargo space all the time. I would never have another vehicle without a lift gate. A trunk sucks.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:54 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,700,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
SE US. NC, specifically.

If you have a 4x4, upper trim level (leather), diesel truck, it will almost never see below 40-50% of its purchase price unless it's totaled.

Beware, if you have a 2WD diesel, it will be much harder to sell. Local dealer can't sell a "brand new" 2017 Ram 3500 because it's a base model and 2WD.
Most of the ones I see up here for $12-15k are crew cab Lariats, 4x4 diesels. There are a lot for sale.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:25 PM

155 posts, read 123,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Assuming you are stuck in the snow and out of gas the smaller vehicle would be preferable simply because it will retain more heat.
Blankets in the vehicle... Your "point" is invalid. And stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive