Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 09:23 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
GT is a V6 Challenger.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...31.0bCi5U98ePo

Thought you had one of those. Apparently you had a mustang GT, what year?

Yeah, I was talking about the Mustang GT 5.0, I have never own a V6 in anything. Back when I had the 2011 5.0, it was a quicker car than the competition in the 0-60 and quarter. On longer runs, I sure they would eventually overtake the Mustang due to top end, and bigger engine displacement. That's the AWD Challenger I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 11:41 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Yeah, I was talking about the Mustang GT 5.0, I have never own a V6 in anything. Back when I had the 2011 5.0, it was a quicker car than the competition in the 0-60 and quarter. On longer runs, I sure they would eventually overtake the Mustang due to top end, and bigger engine displacement. That's the AWD Challenger I believe.
5.0 Coyote was a great engine, suddenly the Mustang was faster and significantly lighter than the Camaro and Challenger. For several years the Mustang kicked butt, I remember those years. Things are a little bit more equal today.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:02 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
[quote=[B]ColdAilment;[/b]53980880]5.0 Coyote was a great engine, suddenly the Mustang was faster and significantly lighter than the Camaro and Challenger. For several years the Mustang kicked butt, I remember those years. Things are a little bit more equal today.[/QUOTE

Yes it was, and I believe that sent the competition back to the drawing board. The top Challenger then was the 6.1 Hemi with 425hp, not enough for a car that heavy to serious compete. But, Dodge took care of that problem in a big way. And yes, for a few years the 5.0 was kicking tail. I never worried about the Challenger or Camaro when I had the Mustang even before I did any mods to it.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:30 AM

342 posts, read 317,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Nissans were great cars until they got involved with Renault.
I fully agree. I rent a lot of cars for business travel, and I’d take a Kia or Hyundai any day over a Nissan. The Kias and Hyundai’s aren’t anything great, but the current Nissans have gone down hill.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:25 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,053 times
So my neighbor with that $80k GMC suburban denali bus of a vehicle, 1 year old now, already had the ac replaced, and now when you open the passenger front door, the running board underneath won't come out. Only the rear passenger door triggers the automatic running board. Think they're at like 14,000 miles on it now +/-...

Look, I'm not trying to bag on American made. But I have to admit, I really don't trust them that much anymore, and that's not just in the automotive world. That's also in the appliance world too. Within the past 3 years I've replaced all of our kitchen appliances. The double-oven is GE, the dishwasher is GE, and the fridge is Samsung. The double-oven at 13 months has problems. The switch for the lower door is bad, leaving the light on and preventing it from heating up (thinks the door is open). The dishwasher leaks and now little edge trim pieces are coming off. But the Samsung fridge, works like a champ, gets beat to snot by two little kids and all of their friends. Not a problem. But the GE stuff, just junk in my opinion. These weren't the most expensive, but also not the cheapest by far. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most expensive), each is probably around a 7 or 8. Certainly not at the price point where you'd think things would fall off or simply just break. No quality control I guess in Michigan (which is where they're from, same as Whirlpool). Sure they'll come fix it, for a $300 service call. Oops, since I didn't "register" my purchase with them via giving them my name, phone number, address, email address, and other personal information that they'd just sell to data miners, I only get the 1 year warranty. What a crock of BS.

The washing machine is new too. It's and LG, and I'm pretty sure I could toss bricks into it and it'd be fine. It replaced a 3 year old Kenmore that just stopped working for whatever reason. The LG is now 3 years old and I swear, in our family, runs probably twice a day to keep up with us.

So, American manufacturers and works want my money? Then earn it and stop expecting it. I don't feel guilty one bit about buying imports if, after decades of trying, we still can't put something on the table that can match them on a regular and routine basis. Shame on us for this.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
So my neighbor with that $80k GMC suburban denali bus of a vehicle, 1 year old now, already had the ac replaced, and now when you open the passenger front door, the running board underneath won't come out. Only the rear passenger door triggers the automatic running board. Think they're at like 14,000 miles on it now +/-...

Look, I'm not trying to bag on American made. But I have to admit, I really don't trust them that much anymore, and that's not just in the automotive world. That's also in the appliance world too. Within the past 3 years I've replaced all of our kitchen appliances. The double-oven is GE, the dishwasher is GE, and the fridge is Samsung. The double-oven at 13 months has problems. The switch for the lower door is bad, leaving the light on and preventing it from heating up (thinks the door is open). The dishwasher leaks and now little edge trim pieces are coming off. But the Samsung fridge, works like a champ, gets beat to snot by two little kids and all of their friends. Not a problem. But the GE stuff, just junk in my opinion. These weren't the most expensive, but also not the cheapest by far. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most expensive), each is probably around a 7 or 8. Certainly not at the price point where you'd think things would fall off or simply just break. No quality control I guess in Michigan (which is where they're from, same as Whirlpool). Sure they'll come fix it, for a $300 service call. Oops, since I didn't "register" my purchase with them via giving them my name, phone number, address, email address, and other personal information that they'd just sell to data miners, I only get the 1 year warranty. What a crock of BS.

The washing machine is new too. It's and LG, and I'm pretty sure I could toss bricks into it and it'd be fine. It replaced a 3 year old Kenmore that just stopped working for whatever reason. The LG is now 3 years old and I swear, in our family, runs probably twice a day to keep up with us.

So, American manufacturers and works want my money? Then earn it and stop expecting it. I don't feel guilty one bit about buying imports if, after decades of trying, we still can't put something on the table that can match them on a regular and routine basis. Shame on us for this.
Do you realize that for every story like that about a Danali, there is an equal story about someone who had problems with a Toyota?

Do you know who made your Kenmore washer? Kenmore does not make anything. They have other companies (like LG) make them, sometimes tweak them a tiny bit and then stick a Kenmore label on them.

Your Kenmore washer was not American made unless it is relatively ancient.

Depending on how old your Samsung fridge is, it may wbe American made. https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-...es-production/

All appliance companies have cheapo items that fall apart and high end items that fall apart somewhat less. It makes no difference where they are made.

All companies make bad and good appliances. The worst dishwasher I have ever owned is a high end Bosh from Germany. The best dishwasher I have ever owned was a Kenmore made by Maytag.

The best longest lasting fridge is a 1928 GE monitor top, still chugging away in our kitchen. Yes it lacks a lot of modern conveniences like frost-free operation, but it is a solid fridge, keeps our food cold and looks cool too. I can only hope I still work that well when I am 90 years old.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:52 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

When it comes to appliances... I'm not well versed in anything new.

My Grandmother's chrome and porcelain Wedgewood stove from the 1940's has never missed a beat... Mom's avocado green 1968 Sears Kenmore Washer and Dryer are still going strong as is her 1968 Amana Freezer... Oven, Micro, Cooktop, Dishwasher all GE 1980 and still in service... as is her Zenith Console TV and VCT from 1982...

Earlier this year her Dryer stopped working... she asked me to buy a new one after 50 years and I said let me look at it... the belt broke... I took down the model number and went to the local parts house... less than $5 including tax for the new belt and good to go...

My own TV is a top of the line Toshiba my neighbor asked me to take to the curb when her Grand Daughter bought her a new expensive Flat Screen... she said there was nothing wrong with the 32" Toshiba so I brought it home and upgraded... works fine with rabbit ears...

Here is the sad part... she is now on her 3rd Flat Screen and has lamented getting rid of a perfectly good TV just to have new...

One of my tenants needed a washer and dryer... money is tight and another neighbor spent over 2k on a Neptune Washer/Dryer and wanted to get rid of her old pair... she has had ongoing trouble with her 2k set and the pair she gave away is still working fine.

Maybe we are too affluent for our own collective good? New doesn't always mean better and I never can see the logic on getting rid of something paid for that is working just to have new... probably why I drove my Plymouth Valiant for 20 years!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:16 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do you realize that for every story like that about a Danali, there is an equal story about someone who had problems with a Toyota?

Do you know who made your Kenmore washer? Kenmore does not make anything. They have other companies (like LG) make them, sometimes tweak them a tiny bit and then stick a Kenmore label on them.

Your Kenmore washer was not American made unless it is relatively ancient.

Depending on how old your Samsung fridge is, it may wbe American made. https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-...es-production/

All appliance companies have cheapo items that fall apart and high end items that fall apart somewhat less. It makes no difference where they are made.

All companies make bad and good appliances. The worst dishwasher I have ever owned is a high end Bosh from Germany. The best dishwasher I have ever owned was a Kenmore made by Maytag.

The best longest lasting fridge is a 1928 GE monitor top, still chugging away in our kitchen. Yes it lacks a lot of modern conveniences like frost-free operation, but it is a solid fridge, keeps our food cold and looks cool too. I can only hope I still work that well when I am 90 years old.
I respectfully disagree about the 1 for 1 compliant comment in the Denali to Toyota. I think if that were true, then the two would be on equal grounds in terms of quality and reliability, which I believe we could all agree isn’t the case.

But, you do bring up a good point on who makes the machines, and got me thinking about revising my viewpoint from American made to American designed and quality standards. I say this because one of the best vehicles we’ve ever owned so far, was made in Princeton Indiana - our 2013 Toyota Highlander. Designed by Toyota, assembled by Americans. But even then, when we first got it new, it had to go back to the dealership twice to fix a misaligned rear gate assembly problem. But that’s been the only issue with it.

The GE appliances we have are just embarrassing to the company. Sure, all things break, nothing is perfect, but a dishwasher with a faulty designed seal around its door? A $5,000 double wall oven with a faulty door switch that apparently is quite common for them? I mean, didn’t anyone in Michigan actually think to test the door seal on the dishwasher, which is probably the most important part for a dishwasher? Didn’t they stress test the door latch switch for the ovens by slamming it a hundred times first? My guess? No, they just went with the cheapest Chinese parts manufacturer and were thinking about their next quarterly reports instead of quality. Two items that get the most usage, both critical to the usage of each machine, totally flubbed.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Hey guess who designs transmissions for Toyota?
will give two letters as a hint an M and a G not necessarily in that order.Not all transmissions, but some. Other parts too. the fanboy clubs do not work today. two decades ago maybe now it is all incestuous.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I remember GM was also supplying BMW transmissions for the 3 and 5 series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive