Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:17 AM

3,593 posts, read 2,850,758 times

Advertisements

Porsche Cayenne parts are not exactly easy on the wallet.
Next logical choice please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 10:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,485,544 times
The problem with car seats in cars is not really the seats, it's the leg room and how someone holds the wheel too. A Civic might not have enough leg room for the drive to arch their legs properly which forces the drive to push the seat too far back.

When the seat is too far back you arms must extend to reach the wheel which puts a lot of pressure on the back to support and balance the weight of the arms.

The best thing to do for back pain in cars is to sit forward not too far back so your arms aren't being over extended. If you like to drive with your arms on the top of the wheel that also can hurt your back in a long trip. I always keep my arms dropped and rested on something while I drive and I don't have any back pains.

As for car seats, I much rather have a hard supportive seat. Seats that are too soft and wide do not properly support you and may actually make you fall sleep at the wheel.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:07 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The problem with car seats in cars is not really the seats, it's the leg room and how someone holds the wheel too. A Civic might not have enough leg room for the drive to arch their legs properly which forces the drive to push the seat too far back.

When the seat is too far back you arms must extend to reach the wheel which puts a lot of pressure on the back to support and balance the weight of the arms.

The best thing to do for back pain in cars is to sit forward not too far back so your arms aren't being over extended. If you like to drive with your arms on the top of the wheel that also can hurt your back in a long trip. I always keep my arms dropped and rested on something while I drive and I don't have any back pains.

As for car seats, I much rather have a hard supportive seat. Seats that are too soft and wide do not properly support you and may actually make you fall sleep at the wheel.
Or you can grow longer arms.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
My father is 88 and very stiff. He tried dozens and dozens of cars and settled on a Buick Encore as the easiest to get in and out of (they are cheap too). He had several friends do the same thing and arrive at the same conclusion. Personally I am nto a fan of that car, but he loves them. He is on his fourth lease (maybe fifth, not sure).

Old 12-20-2018, 11:28 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,022,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Full sized van with custom seats.

Second would be a pick up.

Either one, you are stepping up rather than bending down and curling into a ball to get in. Getting out, you just sort of slide out of the seat. onto the ground. When driving, you are sitting up normally and have room to occasionally stretch out your legs. Lots of options are available for seats. Some of the seats made for RVs are amazing.

They don't make them anymore, but the seats in my Pontiac Vibe offer great support for my back on long trips. The seats are far more comfortable than the seats in the much larger Pontiac Torrent, which I couldn't tolerate for much longer than an hour long drive.

Also, full-sized vans have terrible handling and gas mileage. The Ford E-350 that I drive around in from time to time does not have comfortable seats, either. They're okay, and better than the above-mentioned Pontiac Torrent's seats, but they're not anything to write home about. The fuel bill will send you to the poor house if you do any serious amount of driving. The thing gets 15 miles per gallon on the highway on a good day! I only use it when I have eight to fourteen passengers to split the cost of gas. And you can forget about making time anywhere you go; the handling is so bad that you'll be lucky to hit 70 miles per hour on straight Interstate highway. Add any curves in the mix and you'll be slowing down way below the speed limit!

The only other full-sized van I'm familiar with are the old Dodge Ram vans, but I don't think they even make those anymore. The seats were a lot more comfortable than the Ford, I know that much. The handling was about the same, and the gas mileage just as terrible.

You might try a minivan, though. My folks just got a newer Dodge Grand Caravan. The front seats in that thing are very comfortable; it gets around 25 miles per gallon on the highway; the seats fold down into the floor to give you all kinds of cargo room; and it has a much more car-like handling than a full-sized van, as in, you can actually reasonably expect to maintain the speed limit on Interstate highways.

Do any dealers in your area offer extended test drives? With back issues, I think the best way to test it out would be to take it out for a two or three hour drive and see how sore you get while riding in it.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:52 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,164,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Porsche Cayenne parts are not exactly easy on the wallet.
Next logical choice please.

And you would know this, how?

Porsche sources their parts just like any other auto manufacturer. You go to a dealership and pay full price for a part that says Porsche on the box, or you can pay half price for the exact same thing made by Bosch but without the box saying Porsche on it.

Our Cayenne was actually considerably cheaper to own over the course of nearly a decade vs our Jeep Grand Cherokees.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:05 PM

How about insurance on a Porsche. Let me guess its not going to be Honda Civic pricing levels the OP was paying.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:31 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,164,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
How about insurance on a Porsche. Let me guess its not going to be Honda Civic pricing levels
Our insurance costs on our 2006 Cayenne S were lower than they were on our 2010 Jeep GC Overland, even though it cost twice as much new.

You're hung up on the nameplate. Insurance doesn't care about the nameplate, they care about crash statistics and total risk assessment.

That's the same reason why exotic car ownership insurance costs can be cheaper than insurance on something like a Corvette, and the principal holds true for most high end vehicles. Go to 2:12 and listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXVfYkCXdWY&t=8s

Old 12-20-2018, 12:43 PM

What about the actual price of the car? There are way more econmical choices others have posted over your subtle brag about owning a Porshe. You seem to think everyone can buy one. Most people or wiser ones dont want to spend a lot on a depreciating asset.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,160,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You're hung up on the nameplate. Insurance doesn't care about the nameplate, they care about crash statistics and total risk assessment.
My Miata wasn't expensive, probably because it was capable of avoiding the wreck instead of just surviving it.
Insurance company also likes it if the owner demographics of a vehicle trend toward more mature owners, which is often the case with luxury cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive