Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:47 PM

949 posts, read 572,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is a car culture country. The bigger, the better. Anything else on the road, including pedestrians is a unwelcomed nuisance.
It will take years if not generations to learn how to share public roads. The driving culture is just not there yet...

Something about cyclists and bikers seems to provoke fury in other road users...
Yes, but there have been cars and bikes together for a long time now. Bikes have been around longer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 04:39 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Well, perhaps if bikers didn't lane split and speed like a madman, they could have alot of more fans. I've never seen a biker who wasn't going above the speed limit.

And when you drive near a motorcyble club, WATCH OUT, if they even think you're too close or harassing one of their bikers on the road they are going to harass you and follow you like crazy. (there's videos of it)

Cars and bikers have been going at it forever. At the end of the day, just keep your distance, don't lose your cool, and everyone can go about their business.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:48 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
It all started back in the 1950's when there was a movie that showed bike riders taking over a small town.
Motorcycle riders have gotten a bad rap every since. You'd have to delve into human psychology to get the science behind it. I'm certainly not smart enough to do that. Hell, I can't even remember the name of the movie.
The movie was The Wild One with Marlon Brando. There was an incident in the late 40's in Hollister, California during an American Motorcycle Association event that produced some pictures that showed motorcyclists in a bad light, and skewed public opinion against bikers. Many of the bikers were WWII veterans, likely suffering from some form of PTSD, who formed the first "outlaw" clubs, looking for guys with similar beliefs and issues to socialize with.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
People tend to act like idiots when there is little law enforcement around., however I have known cameras to be a game changer .
I have a cameras in my vehicles and on my motorcycle helmet.
The more obvious the better and it MUST WORK .
It is not necessary to make an issue of having it ,they will see it.
Sometimes when entering an intersection ( MY green) I see some one attempting to enter from the side and Look directly at them and all of a sudden they behave.
Door swings both ways , some one catches you on camera screwing up, the evidence is on their side.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Lots of aholes on bikes
Lots of aholes in cars

Sometimes they meet and want to prove who is the biggest one

Old 12-19-2018, 01:04 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I've been riding since 1978 and am all too familiar with this attitude although it has gotten a lot better than it used to be. On top of that I am female and that used to be particularly aggravating until more women started riding, I think.

I feel nearly obligated to say I've never had a serious accident on the bike or in the car and only had two speeding tickets driving the car nearly forty years ago. I've never had "biker's attitude," don't play games on the road and in general consider being out there with cars to be dangerous and taken seriously.

An anecdote: I was out for an early evening ride one fall on a local main road and heard him revving and coming from about two blocks away. I sighed.

Big speeding pick-up flew by on two way street and threw a full beer can at my head. No cell phone. I went home and called a LEO. He came to the house and I told him what happened complete with description and partial license plate number. The first question out of his mouth was, "How big of an engine do you have in your bike?

Knew I wasn't going to get much help with this.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:05 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
if you ride, you must be the brass-balled barroom brawler of the stereotype. And there's always someone who will go out of their way to provoke that guy in the bar.
Pfff... he rides an adventure bike; big overwieght dirtbike that's medicore taken offroad with those rectangular aluminum saddleboxes, not a HD Fatboy. If anything, he's a youtube vlogger or realitor...

Old 12-20-2018, 02:20 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
I don't know why but I rode motorcycles and bicycles many years in So. Cal and people in cars would go out of their way to mess with you constantly, no mater what or how you ride.

I really enjoy motorcycling now that I live in Germany (bicycling too), much less stress, great roads with a much lower level of aggression...

Old 12-20-2018, 02:25 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've been riding since 1978 and am all too familiar with this attitude although it has gotten a lot better than it used to be. On top of that I am female and that used to be particularly aggravating until more women started riding, I think.

I feel nearly obligated to say I've never had a serious accident on the bike or in the car and only had two speeding tickets driving the car nearly forty years ago. I've never had "biker's attitude," don't play games on the road and in general consider being out there with cars to be dangerous and taken seriously.

An anecdote: I was out for an early evening ride one fall on a local main road and heard him revving and coming from about two blocks away. I sighed.

Big speeding pick-up flew by on two way street and threw a full beer can at my head. No cell phone. I went home and called a LEO. He came to the house and I told him what happened complete with description and partial license plate number. The first question out of his mouth was, "How big of an engine do you have in your bike?

Knew I wasn't going to get much help with this.

Pick Up drivers throwing beer cans at you was pretty normal when riding in East County San Diego in the 70's and 80's at least.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:41 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
I believe those types of drivers are hyper aggressive with everyone, including other car drivers. However, some of them are cowards and so more likely to pick on the little guy (person on a motorcycle instead of one in a steel cage). I suggest you do what other riders have done and invest in a quality helmet camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive