Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of car?
Awesome muscle car 18 40.00%
Decent sedan car 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 02:23 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

You need a Soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 02:27 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
If you get a Mustang get the 5.0L Coyote V8.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:40 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
I'd get a nice Mustang model and display it on a shelf.
For actual transportation, I'd get the generic foreign sedan...

Old 12-21-2018, 02:48 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Between the Mustang and something like the Genesis G70, I'd go with a G70. I haven't driven the G70 but unless it's just awful (which by most accounts it's not) it would be the route I'd go for a daily. I have driven the Mustang. It's fun. For the price it's one of the best overall driver's cars you can get. But the reality is the type of driving I do 80-90% of the time that doesn't matter one iota. Other than a BMW M4, Alfa QV or similar no sedan is going to be close to as fun to drive as a Mustang GT but there's a number of them that are far better daily drivers that are still fun to drive.

For a weekend car, different story. If in the market for that a Mustang GT would be a definite contender. I'd skip the EcoBoost. It's a good car, but it sounds like a 4 banger and practicality be damned. GT w/ PP2, please. If my normal driving didn't usually involve staring at brake lights for an hour or more to go 26 miles on a freeway, I might have a different answer. Since it does I'd rather be in a Buick than a Mustang.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:56 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
see you in 4 years when you come back looking for a sedan for your growing family

Old 12-21-2018, 03:15 PM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
Get what you like, but if you are use to sedans, just get a sports sedan. If you decide to go with the mustang, go all out and get the 5.0. Other wise the mustang won't really offer you any advantages over a sporty sedan unless it's fwd.

As a point of reference, last year I got to rent an ecoboost mustang when my v6 camry was totaled. I don't remember what trim level it was but it wasn't a base level trim. Interior wise, I was pleasantly surprised, and the sound system was great compared to the 'premium' sound system in my camry. Now if you're use to sedans, you'll be sitting even lower to the ground and have horrible visibility of your surrounding area. The only car that I've been in that has worse visibility than the mustang was a camaro. Add in the long hood and it will definitely be a driving adjustment from a sedan.

While I admire ford's ecoboost engines, the 310hp 4 cylinder ecoboost in the mustang doesn't really standout among sports sedans including mainstream options. You won't get those numbers either unless you run premium gas. The mustang honestly didn't feel any faster than my 270hp v6 camry although on paper it's .5 secs faster from 0-60 and .2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. I assume those numbers came from using premium fuel. I used 87 octane and I'm sure that's what the rental company used also, as your average mustang owner would also. The only advantage it had was the more linear acceleration without torque steer due to being rwd.

If you're use to 185hp car, any car with 250hp+ will be and upgrade and the ecoboost mustang will likely impress you. You likely won't get anything with any less horsepower once you become accustomed to it. Also the resale values of cars are getting hit hard now due the current vehicle trend and shift of CUVs,SUVs, and trucks sales dominating the market. My Camry retail/trade value has dropped $3k in last 6mo. So if you plan on trading in you current car and get the mustang and don't like it don't expect to get a good deal on anything. If you're a person who prefers sedans, such as myself, or even coupes, get something you really like, because the resale values of cars are going down hill.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:22 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Car style question in general...
Am I better off with a sports/muscle car or a decent sedan?
Currently I own a nice 2014 Mazda6 with 185HP, 5 persons fit in it, chrome detailing on the exterior...
I am thinking on replacing it with a new Ford Mustang Ecoboost, that is bad-ass, has 310HP, but only fit 2 people, costs 10% more on insurance and gas, and has no chrome detailing (only black plastic).
I am a lead design engineer, which is an intellectual-middle-class job, and I am a single male.
Which would suit someone like me better, the awesome muscle car or the spacious elegant middle class car?
I never wanted a sports car, but the last few weeks it was bugging me, I keep watching mustang reviews on YouTube...

Go test drive both. That will decide for you. Over the years I have had two 5.0 Mustangs, both manuals. If you test drive a 5.0 manual, you might be hooked.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:26 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Car style question in general...
Am I better off with a sports/muscle car or a decent sedan?
Currently I own a nice 2014 Mazda6 with 185HP, 5 persons fit in it, chrome detailing on the exterior...
I am thinking on replacing it with a new Ford Mustang Ecoboost, that is bad-ass, has 310HP, but only fit 2 people, costs 10% more on insurance and gas, and has no chrome detailing (only black plastic).
I am a lead design engineer, which is an intellectual-middle-class job, and I am a single male.
Which would suit someone like me better, the awesome muscle car or the spacious elegant middle class car?
I never wanted a sports car, but the last few weeks it was bugging me, I keep watching mustang reviews on YouTube...
To begin with, Mustangs are not a sports car, they are a muscle car.
Now I have to ask, why in God's name would a single male be driving a Mazda 6 sedan, or any sedan for that matter?

Is it the looks, or performance that has you thinking about a Mustang?
Depending on your finances, you may want to re-think the Mustang idea, and look at a Corvette.
Sporty to say the least, performance without question, envy of many people, just to name a few qualities.
The newer ones are pretty expensive, but you could get yourself into a C5 or C6 very reasonably, and most have low mileage.
I have had mine for four years now, and absolutely love it.

There is something about showing up in a Corvette that pleases the senses, and if one can afford it, I can't see why any single guy would want to settle for a Mustang.
I think you really need to get out there and do some comparison shopping, before making a decision.

Bob.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:50 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If you get a Mustang get the 5.0L Coyote V8.
Had one and it was slow compared my stock 2013 C6 on the low end. Just add some mods to a later made C6 and enjoy.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:28 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
see you in 4 years when you come back looking for a sedan for your growing family
No will be a suv, cuv, or a mini van or crew cab pickup remember no more family sedans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive