Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:46 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,230,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah you should see what natural resources are used and methods it takes to extract and build to build a electric car battery pack. Let’s not talk about the recycling aspect. Or that the overall cost of a electric car is twice a conventional car. Let’s not forget the cost of the batteries not only monetary but the mining. Some really rare mineral elements are used. Please don’t sit there and try and say that electric cars are better for the environment. Yes the tailpipe emissions are nonexistent. But how exactly do you power your car? How clean is that energy?
You're just flat out wrong. EV's are cleaner right now, and will keep getting even cleaner. That's the key.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/12...ys-ucs-report/

No doubt that if your energy relies on coal, then there is a lot of pollution no matter why. Guess what? We should be getting away from using coal too.

Batteries cost really isn't in mining, but in energy to produce. Guess what, the move to renewables will make battery production much more clean as well.

Not to mention that even if pollution was equal, at least you are moving it away from high density cities to less populated areas.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...ina-pollution/

See 2nd to last graph, China has basically cut pollution in half in 4 years in Beijing.

You are so wrong and going to be really wrong in the future. These technologies are close to equal in cost right now, so what's the big complaint? I mean, don't you value clean air at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 02:53 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
A major case of projection going on here. Seems like you fit right in with your brothers on the video.
I could not watch the video. do they also ignore EVs and hybrids?

Are you intimidated by people who ignore you and think you are no different than anyone else?

i wonder what they call that disorder. I will ask my daughter. surely they have a name for it.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:14 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,299,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
You're just flat out wrong. EV's are cleaner right now, and will keep getting even cleaner. That's the key.

No doubt that if your energy relies on coal, then there is a lot of pollution no matter why. Guess what? We should be getting away from using coal too.

Batteries cost really isn't in mining, but in energy to produce. Guess what, the move to renewables will make battery production much more clean as well.

Not to mention that even if pollution was equal, at least you are moving it away from high density cities to less populated areas.

See 2nd to last graph, China has basically cut pollution in half in 4 years in Beijing.

You are so wrong and going to be really wrong in the future. These technologies are close to equal in cost right now, so what's the big complaint? I mean, don't you value clean air at all?
Gas is cheap so a EV doesn’t make sense and pickups will only increase in numbers along with large SUVs so get use to them.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:00 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I could not watch the video. do they also ignore EVs and hybrids?

Are you intimidated by people who ignore you and think you are no different than anyone else?

i wonder what they call that disorder. I will ask my daughter. surely they have a name for it.
Narcissism I think is what they cal it when people are intimidated by someone not thinking they are special and unique, or simply ignoring them. If you want to be the center of attention to pickup drivers, driving a hybrid or Ev is not going to do it for you. Try driving naked. That may work.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 PM

30,143 posts, read 20,857,330 times
Driving a Vette sure brings out the crazy truck drivers.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Quote:

Sure I value clean air. As soon as you can get a electric car to do at least the exact amount of work/towing/range my diesel does I’ll think about buying one. We looked into a electric vehicle for our next vehicle. Can’t get the range or size we need/want. My wife is a perfect candidate for a EV. 95% of her drive is around town. But once in a while she goes with friends for girls weekends further away. So the range just isn’t there. And no I don’t want to rent a car. The cargo capacity isn’t there either for her needs on those drives. The price isn’t where I want to be either. The finances of a EV simply are not paying off for me right now. It would cost me more to own a EV. There is no financial advantage to a EV for me.
Once those parameters we need are met and the car is what I want I dont care if it’s nuclear, electric, ion phaser or fossil fuel powered as long as I can do my own work and it won’t cost a arm and a leg to do a brake job.

All those metals used for making EV batteries.....eventually they’re gonna get really expensive as we run low or have to dig more holes to find the stuff.
You’re not getting millions of fossil fuel powered vehicles off the road in a few years.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:11 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,299,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Sure I value clean air. As soon as you can get a electric car to do at least the exact amount of work/towing/range my diesel does I’ll think about buying one. We looked into a electric vehicle for our next vehicle. Can’t get the range or size we need/want. My wife is a perfect candidate for a EV. 95% of her drive is around town. But once in a while she goes with friends for girls weekends further away. So the range just isn’t there. And no I don’t want to rent a car. The cargo capacity isn’t there either for her needs on those drives. The price isn’t where I want to be either. The finances of a EV simply are not paying off for me right now. It would cost me more to own a EV. There is no financial advantage to a EV for me.
Once those parameters we need are met and the car is what I want I dont care if it’s nuclear, electric, ion phaser or fossil fuel powered as long as I can do my own work and it won’t cost a arm and a leg to do a brake job.

All those metals used for making EV batteries.....eventually they’re gonna get really expensive as we run low or have to dig more holes to find the stuff.
You’re not getting millions of fossil fuel powered vehicles off the road in a few years.
And then all those fossil fuel exavaters and backhoes, and semi dump trucks to mine the raw materials to make EV batteries yea that’s really helping with clean air.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:24 AM

342 posts, read 309,158 times
Quote:
https://electrek.co/2018/12/24/tesla...truck-drivers/

Poor pickup truck boys threatened by seeing vehicles not spewing fumes. It's common to be threatened by things you don't understand.
Totally ridiculous immature kids.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:49 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,309,738 times
"My politically preferred, socially conscious, environmentally Prius gets 60 miles to the gallon.

"What does that big, stinky, filthy, ugly truck get YOU?"

"Laid".

Old 12-28-2018, 12:20 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
"My politically preferred, socially conscious, environmentally Prius gets 60 miles to the gallon.

"What does that big, stinky, filthy, ugly truck get YOU?"

"Laid".
It's a sad and pathetic situation, if you need a truck for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive