Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 07:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times

Advertisements

From what I could find it looks like the only vehicles still being equipped with port injection engines are a few muscle cars and the 4Runner (possibly Tundra as well).

Am I overlooking any other mainstream models???

The current CR-V fiasco got me thinking about this even tho the problems they are having seem to be exclusive to Honda rather than updated fuel injection methods in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 11:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I believe some of the Hyundai/Kia models with the Nu engine (Forte, etc) are still using port injection.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:57 AM

680 posts, read 534,058 times
The Honda Civic LX and Sport are still port injection. Toyota uses dual injection, so it's both port and direct. I have a 1.5L turbo Civic and have had no issues.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:57 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,718 times
Toyota is very conservative in their manufacturing (reliability is top importance to the brand) and uses either dual injection or port injection. All of their hybrids are still port injection.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Probably Nissan Frontier. Haven't changed the engines since 2005...

Old 12-27-2018, 06:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
I have to admit I haven’t been paying attention to this topic in general but I was under the impression that port injection was still sort of SOP for most manufacturers except for some very high CR engines.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:55 AM

680 posts, read 534,058 times
Port injection engines can be reliable, as they don't have carbon build up on the injectors, like direct injection systems do. Honda has a few left, the new Insight Hybrid is port injection, and few other models. I figure life is short, so I'm going to enjoy myself and get the Civic turbo direct injection. I drove both to compare and it's a lot more fun. Just got to put that top tier fuel in, with the detergents to keep the injectors clean. I've only filled up with Shell since I bought it.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:26 AM

134 posts, read 471,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Just got to put that top tier fuel in, with the detergents to keep the injectors clean. I've only filled up with Shell since I bought it.
Top tier fuel won't do anything (or anything you put in gas tank for that matter), it's the backside of the valves that needs cleaning not the injectors themselves and the fuel does not hit the backside of the valves with DI.

Another downside of DI that most people do not talk about is the exhaust gas from DI engines. Those are tiny enough that our nose and lungs cannot filter the particles out. We are poisoning ourselves to meet the stupid CAFE standards. Something to think about when you are stuck behind a car with a DI engine.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:49 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Port injection engines can be reliable, as they don't have carbon build up on the injectors, like direct injection systems do. Honda has a few left, the new Insight Hybrid is port injection, and few other models. I figure life is short, so I'm going to enjoy myself and get the Civic turbo direct injection. I drove both to compare and it's a lot more fun. Just got to put that top tier fuel in, with the detergents to keep the injectors clean. I've only filled up with Shell since I bought it.

On INTAKE VALVES. Not on injectors. GDI engines suffer from carbon build up on intake valves. this is why Mighty Yota does auxiliary injectors in intake. To flush it all off.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:53 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Btw, there already are reports on Honda GDI engines building up carbon deposits on intake valves after 70K miles. It's just that GDI engines in Japanese and Asian makes are rather so new, that few have that much of mileage collected. Report I am referring to was for a Honda used as taxi cab, so it raked miles fast. Honda does NOTHING to prevent that build up.

Look at the first GDI engines, which were VW. That was a plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive