Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:58 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info, unit831. I'm still recovering from a stroke. My right side is still too weak to do much, especially lifting or building. But I'll save your info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 07:31 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Again why are you bringing up pointless laws? And what do these stupid laws (which btw all the states have). All you’ve proven is you can google some of obscure laws. Whooptie doo. Still haven’t proven me wrong no matter how many other obscure laws you post.

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licens...-29-13_001.pdf

Chapter 1, section 170, Rule 4, subsection F

"Reject vehicle if, with the engine running, any diagnostic light or malfunction code indicates that an air bag is not functioning properly"

As we have discussed.. This vehicle has a passenger airbag. The state of Maine (they're about third in crazy behind CA and NY) will fail you if the airbag light is on. removing the passenger seat could very well illuminate the SRS light.

Not only that..

Chapter 1, section 170, Rule 4, subsection I

"Reject vehicle if any air bag has been disconnected or a non-factory disconnect switch has been installed, unless the vehicle owner has a letter of authorization from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Law enforcement and mail carrier vehicles are exempt from this paragraph if in the opinion of the inspection technician the alteration is necessary"

So, not only can the OP not drive with an airbag light on (assuming Maine).. They can't disable the airbag and prevent the light from coming on, either. Not without getting a DOT/NHTSA exemption.

Stupid is not actively looking for stupidity and assuming. .. We don't know the state the OP is in. So, it would seem the advice to check with the state might be good advice. Because if OP is in Maine.. You just screwed them right over. And.. Took me 2 minutes to find Maine. No idea what other states have something like this.. But, challenge was find one law.. There you go, chuckles.

Further.. I specifically mentioned California and New York, because they seem to have the wackiest stuff.. California, a police officer can cite you for driving an unsafe vehicle.. The determination on what makes the vehicle unsafe resides with the officer. So, you get Jim Bob who's having a bad night.. He could cite you. Of course, he's having that bad a night, he probably finds something better.. Like a tag light out, but.. It's there, it's on the books.

New York.. This is where we dip into the crazy and it doesn't apply to OP, but.. New York on any modern vehicle.. It has to have a seat belt per seating position. A working seat belt. Makes sense, right? But.. vehicles from 1968 and prior MUST have 2 front seat belts. Even if they only have one seat.

It's beyond dumb to give advice when a cracked windshield will cause a failure, excessive tint on windows will cause a failure or a battery is installed in the interior of the vehicle (Other than by manufacturer).. So, that last one, you can now answer if someone comes along and says "Can I hotwire my vehicle to move the battery inside?".. Well, not if you're in Maine, you can't.

Further.. Interpretation may come into play with this one in the state of Maine.

"Reject vehicle if any seat is not properly and securely attached to the floor."

That would seem to indicate that the seat, if it is there, must be properly installed.. And would NOT be a problem if the seat were removed. But.. I'd probably check with the DMV just to be safe. Because it's a whole lot less expensive to do things right from the start. That old thing about ignorance not being an excuse.

"Officer, I didn't know it was against the law to drive around with a deployed airbag"

You wind up getting a $350 education.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:41 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
A few decades ago, a neighbor went to Ford to buy a new, first year Bronco. The sales person asked what options he wanted. Not knowing what to add, the sales person asked 'do you want a passenger seat?'

Old 12-31-2018, 07:42 PM

I'm in Texas. I tried to get the front passenger seat airbag disabled in a previous vehicle back in the 1990s--and a couple of shops refused to do it because they said it was illegal. I'm hoping the law has changed since then or that it's not illegal if the seat has been removed.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I have a 1998 2-door Jeep Cherokee Sport. Great car.

I also have a 9-year-old rescue doberman. Great dog.

The problem is that my old dog has gotten weak in the rear, as do many older large dogs, and cannot, even with my help, get up into my vehicle. I want to take her out to dog parks or walking paths -- she loves to get out and exercise would be good for her -- but I havent been able to do so because of the problem with her getting into the car. And there are too many dogs running loose in the subdivision for me to walk her around here.

I've tried those dog-ramps and dog-steps but they're too difficult for an older dog whose eyesight may not be the best. And I've looked into having a wide slide-in ramp built, but that's too expensive.

I've been thinking about removing the front passenger seat of my car and covering that area with a large dog bed (to cover any remaining bolts) so she can get into the car and lie down, secured with a dog-safety-belt, in that area. (I'd keep the car seat, of course, for when my sweet dog passes. However, I always adopt only older large dogs so. if I can remove the car seat, I may keep it out for the next dog.)

I'm checking into whether this is legal in my county/state but I'm also concerned about complications I may have overlooked. I'm sure I'll have to deal with the airbag situation and am hoping that it wont be illegal for the body shop to temporarily disengage the airbag on that side.

Is there anything else I need to consider? I never have human passengers so that's not a concern. I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice regarding potential problems with removing the seat. Thanks so much in advance.

First of all, sorry to hear about her leg problems. We had a female Dobie (wonderful dog) and, as she aged, she had a hard time getting up, like you describe. Very sad to watch happen.

Now, as for the seat, it should simply unbolt. Passenger seats are generally not wired up like the driver's seat, with alarms and all, so just unbolt it and you will be good to go. There is NO requirement, legally, to have that seat in your car, as far as I can see, and do not even worry about the airbag, as your dog will be laying down below it, and if it does go off in an accident, she should miss it, or not be injured even it she does come in contact with it.

Rip out that seat and let your pup enjoy some time out running around.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:04 PM

Thanks so much, don1945!

Old 12-31-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks so much, don1945!
You're welcome. The fact that you love this animal so much to want to do this for her, speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. I, too, love animals, they give us so much and ask so little.

Hope she loves the dog park.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licens...-29-13_001.pdf

Chapter 1, section 170, Rule 4, subsection F

"Reject vehicle if, with the engine running, any diagnostic light or malfunction code indicates that an air bag is not functioning properly"

As we have discussed.. This vehicle has a passenger airbag. The state of Maine (they're about third in crazy behind CA and NY) will fail you if the airbag light is on. removing the passenger seat could very well illuminate the SRS light.

Not only that..

Chapter 1, section 170, Rule 4, subsection I

"Reject vehicle if any air bag has been disconnected or a non-factory disconnect switch has been installed, unless the vehicle owner has a letter of authorization from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Law enforcement and mail carrier vehicles are exempt from this paragraph if in the opinion of the inspection technician the alteration is necessary"

So, not only can the OP not drive with an airbag light on (assuming Maine).. They can't disable the airbag and prevent the light from coming on, either. Not without getting a DOT/NHTSA exemption.

Stupid is not actively looking for stupidity and assuming. .. We don't know the state the OP is in. So, it would seem the advice to check with the state might be good advice. Because if OP is in Maine.. You just screwed them right over. And.. Took me 2 minutes to find Maine. No idea what other states have something like this.. But, challenge was find one law.. There you go, chuckles.

Further.. I specifically mentioned California and New York, because they seem to have the wackiest stuff.. California, a police officer can cite you for driving an unsafe vehicle.. The determination on what makes the vehicle unsafe resides with the officer. So, you get Jim Bob who's having a bad night.. He could cite you. Of course, he's having that bad a night, he probably finds something better.. Like a tag light out, but.. It's there, it's on the books.

New York.. This is where we dip into the crazy and it doesn't apply to OP, but.. New York on any modern vehicle.. It has to have a seat belt per seating position. A working seat belt. Makes sense, right? But.. vehicles from 1968 and prior MUST have 2 front seat belts. Even if they only have one seat.

It's beyond dumb to give advice when a cracked windshield will cause a failure, excessive tint on windows will cause a failure or a battery is installed in the interior of the vehicle (Other than by manufacturer).. So, that last one, you can now answer if someone comes along and says "Can I hotwire my vehicle to move the battery inside?".. Well, not if you're in Maine, you can't.

Further.. Interpretation may come into play with this one in the state of Maine.

"Reject vehicle if any seat is not properly and securely attached to the floor."

That would seem to indicate that the seat, if it is there, must be properly installed.. And would NOT be a problem if the seat were removed. But.. I'd probably check with the DMV just to be safe. Because it's a whole lot less expensive to do things right from the start. That old thing about ignorance not being an excuse.

"Officer, I didn't know it was against the law to drive around with a deployed airbag"

You wind up getting a $350 education.

You have no idea what state they’re in. You also have no idea if the car has pass side airbags are in the seats. You have no idea what laws OP is subject in their state. NOW we went from Ca and NY to Maine. What if OP isn’t in Maine. Doesnt that make your whole crazy post pointless...again.

You specifically ranted about Ca and NY. I can tell you I have a airbag light on one truck for years. It’s a bad clock spring. Not once has anyone said or has any issues with registering the vehicle.

Even if op lives in Maine. Reinstall seat for the one at they need a sepafety check. Remove after the safety check.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You're welcome. The fact that you love this animal so much to want to do this for her, speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. I, too, love animals, they give us so much and ask so little.
Hope she loves the dog park.

Thanks, don1945. I've had dobermans for 45+ years and, for the past 30 of those years I've adopted only older (8-9 years old) dobermans. It means making a lot of adjustments and, if I told you everything I've had to do to accommodate these older dogs, you might call me crazy. But giving a home to an older dog is so full of rewards. I've done it for years and will always do so.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:30 AM

About 8 months ago, I finished up a two year build on an 04 Mustang, and, while I was waiting for the new upholstery for the front seats to come in, I put in only the drivers seat so I could put some break in miles on the car until the upholstery arrived. It was simply a car with only one front seat, no bells or whistles went off, nothing at all.

I wouldn't complicate things, just pop that seat out and you will be good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive