Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 04:28 PM

14 posts, read 79,437 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I've spent hours researching salvage title vehicles, and there seems to be a lot of controversy in regard to purchasing one. I found a great deal on a rebuilt title vehicle, the salvage title status was caused by hale damage. The vehicle was completely repaired, and is sold by an auto-body shop who did the repairs. I hear stories about guys running into issues with inspection/registration because they don't have the right documentation to prove the vehicle was repaired, such as receipts and what have you. Can you guys give me some advice on what I should do to avoid running into any complications buying a rebuilt title vehicle?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 05:50 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
It depends on the state. Some states are a lot more strict than others in titling a salvaged car. One thing I would suggest though, is that you title it in the state where it currently resides. Trying to get a title for a salvage car in addition to being from out of state is just more mess to deal with.

Best to read up on how to get the title in the state that the vehicle is in. If you can't do that, then I'd pass.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Personally I would pass. Unless you knew the rebuilder and saw the car before and after repairs there are too many ways to hide major structural damage. Personally I would not want to be in a salvaged vehicle in a wreck. And you're gonna have a hard time selling it.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-05-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
The fact that you are asking means that there is likely problems ahead, and even more when you go to sell it in the future. With hail damage, if there were multiple dents and they just filled them you could have problems i the future
with paint peeing off or cracking. I wouldn't touch it unless they can provide pictures before, during and after the repairs to show that the dents were pulled out, minimal filler, primed and painted.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:34 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,574,271 times
We bought 5, yes, five salvage vehicles so far and they all aced. As in - no problems whatsoever.
You definitely need to have vehicle inspected ALL THROUGH, from bottom up and from bumper to bumper. Getting her up on a lift is a must. A lot does not show looking from the top.
Request pre-repair pictures. Almost everyone now flips phone and takes a bunch anyway./ Also, auction sites keep database of cars they place for sale, as then pics go online first for pre-bidding.
If it's hail ONLY damage indeed, I'd buy it hands down. Buddy of mine, body repair man, did hail damage few years old Camry Hybrid and I watched him do it. Buyer bought car for $2000 and repair stood him roughly another grand. I was VERY envious,. Beautiful red color.
Also, if they sell it - they MUST have TITLE on hand, even if it's salvage. No title - no buying. Not your headache.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
We bought 5, yes, five salvage vehicles so far and they all aced. As in - no problems whatsoever.
You definitely need to have vehicle inspected ALL THROUGH, from bottom up and from bumper to bumper. Getting her up on a lift is a must. A lot does not show looking from the top.
Request pre-repair pictures. Almost everyone now flips phone and takes a bunch anyway./ Also, auction sites keep database of cars they place for sale, as then pics go online first for pre-bidding.
If it's hail ONLY damage indeed, I'd buy it hands down. Buddy of mine, body repair man, did hail damage few years old Camry Hybrid and I watched him do it. Buyer bought car for $2000 and repair stood him roughly another grand. I was VERY envious,. Beautiful red color.
Also, if they sell it - they MUST have TITLE on hand, even if it's salvage. No title - no buying. Not your headache.
I'm located in NJ, I'm purchasing the car in NY. If the title status is "Rebuilt" will I be required to have the car inspected before I can register in NJ?

Old 09-05-2015, 07:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
I bought a re-built Honda. Car was being repossessed. Owner took a baseball bat to the car. Broke out all windows, smashed the fenders, hood, backed left rear into a pole. Insurance company 'totaled' the car. I bought the car after repair at deep discount. Brought it to DMV for registration. Car was inspected and a 'rebuilt' sticker was placed on the driver side hinge post. Drove it for many years with no mechanical or alignment problems.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:32 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,711 times
Last May my car was in a major hail storm and the insurance company totaled it. It was a 98 Camry with 42,000 miles on it and I was upset they "totaled" it because I actually wanted to keep it. It was a great car and never gave me any problems. I was lucky that there weren't any cracked windows. It was just full of dents. Because they totaled it I would have had to go through the procedure of getting a salvage title if I wanted to keep it.

After a lot of research, I decided that I didn't want to go through the whole process and expense of getting a salvage title. It would have had to go through an expensive thorough inspection (in my state they are inspection crazy) lots of paperwork and other expenses. Also, once the insurance company considers it totaled I could not drive it until the whole process was completed. I needed a car and ended up buying something else but I really miss that car.

There were several car dealers who had the entire car lot with brand new cars damaged by hail. Some they fixed on their own, others were discounted in price and some were sold online. Some really great deals were out there for new cars with a few dings.

My opinion is that if it is salvaged only because of hail damage I would be willing to buy it. I wonder if you can call the DMV and check on the cars title status and if it can be registered with no problems? Also, check with your insurance company to make sure they will insure a salvaged titled car. When I was doing my research I was told some insurance companies may not insure them.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
Last May my car was in a major hail storm and the insurance company totaled it. It was a 98 Camry with 42,000 miles on it and I was upset they "totaled" it because I actually wanted to keep it. It was a great car and never gave me any problems. I was lucky that there weren't any cracked windows. It was just full of dents. Because they totaled it I would have had to go through the procedure of getting a salvage title if I wanted to keep it.

After a lot of research, I decided that I didn't want to go through the whole process and expense of getting a salvage title. It would have had to go through an expensive thorough inspection (in my state they are inspection crazy) lots of paperwork and other expenses. Also, once the insurance company considers it totaled I could not drive it until the whole process was completed. I needed a car and ended up buying something else but I really miss that car.

There were several car dealers who had the entire car lot with brand new cars damaged by hail. Some they fixed on their own, others were discounted in price and some were sold online. Some really great deals were out there for new cars with a few dings.

My opinion is that if it is salvaged only because of hail damage I would be willing to buy it. I wonder if you can call the DMV and check on the cars title status and if it can be registered with no problems? Also, check with your insurance company to make sure they will insure a salvaged titled car. When I was doing my research I was told some insurance companies may not insure them.
I plan on giving the DMV a call on Tuesday, as well as my insurance provider. It's been hard finding a consistent answer as to whether or not I can register a NY rebuilt title here in NJ without going through the tedious inspection process.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Hail dents arent filled any longer. They are simply massaged out. If someone that is good does it you'll never be able to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive