Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:39 PM

505 posts, read 846,790 times

Advertisements

It depends what's cheaper. I bought tires for 2 cars this year. One set was from a local tire shop, because they price matched Walmart and had the most reasonable OTD price w/alignment. This is an older car w/o TPMS, which is why I got a break on the price. They also cleaned corrosion off the rim beads (a necessity here in the salt belt).

The second car is an SUV with bigger rims and TPMS. That same shop was charging too much. So, I bought the tires online from Tiresshipped2you and lugged them over to my indy mechanic. He Road Forced balanced, cleaned off corrosion & aligned the car for $50 cheaper than any other shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 04:17 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
"In my area, disposal means leaving it on a sidewalk or side of road somewhere and leaving the area quickly."
here is an idea:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Gro...toes-In-Tires/

Old 12-31-2018, 08:17 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Been using my dealer for tires lately. They beat anybodies price, even if the other places have tires on sale. Had wear issues on one set I bought, they replaced those for free. Nobody else around here would do that with the miles that were on them, which wasnt much, but the tires were a couple of years old.
Just put a new set of Michelins on in November and went with the dealer as well.

It wasn't my intention ... I looked at TireRack.com, Costco, Discount Tires, TiresPlus and a few more regional and local shops. In the end, with the dealer 4-for-the-price-of-3 promo and Michelin's rebate, the dealer was the best price for the tires I wanted, once all fees were included. Found out on the way out the my dealer added road hazard at no charge, which was not in my equation but was extra at all other options.

TireRack was next, but only because I could get an additional discount by picking the tires up myself to take to a local shop of my choice to mount. Delete that option and it was even pricier with TireRack. But TireRack as a great selection.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times
sams club if you want the pricier tires (michelin/pirelli etc) and if you have a membership. If you do online tires like tire rack and need someone to mount them, try walmart (someone will come along and tell you about how they won't ever trust their car to walmart).

I order tires from walmart.com and then have them delivered to my local walmart and get it installed.

I've ordered 2 sets of the Douglass house brand which are made in the US, reportedly by goodyear and they cost less than half of a set of goodyears for my cars.

caveat: I live in walmart country, so my experience may be significantly better than other areas of the country.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:39 AM

155 posts, read 125,686 times
I have been looking on DiscountTireDirect.com for tires. Just have to select an installer.

Pep Boys seems to be the winner, they want $70 to mount all four tires - that is without a balancing, but once you coordinate the delivery and schedule an appointment, they seem to win, price-wise.

A local Spanish used tire place would likely put on all four tires for less, if you have one near you. In some areas of the country, places like that are unheard of. In some other areas, they are literally just about everywhere.

If you've ever seen someone adding Citgo 10W-40 motor oil to a 2012/2015 Maserati, there is likely one nearby. (I have.)

Old 01-01-2019, 07:52 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
In Maine, I use Town Fair Tire. They will beat Wal-Mart's price if you ask them. Free tire rotation for the life of the tires and they do a free alignment for AWD vehicles like Subaru and Rav4 etc.

Town Fair Tire is all over New England. Don't know if they are nation wide. AWD is huge in Maine. Many economy cars have AWD now.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:52 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have used both Big O and Firestone. Both have offered a credit card with no interest if paid off in 6 months, and sometimes a $100 mastercard gift card with purchase of 4 tires. I have also used Costco, but for me it's a matter of who sells the tires I want.
Firestone only charges no interest if you charge a certain amount, $150 or thereabouts.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"In my area, disposal means leaving it on a sidewalk or side of road somewhere and leaving the area quickly."
here is an idea:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Gro...toes-In-Tires/
...or channel your inner Portagee (I'm one) and do this:

Old 01-01-2019, 08:26 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I am wondering about experiences with Sam's club, Costco and discount tires which all seem to offer good prices and life time balance of tires. Which of these are the best long term source for new tires? Are their other sources that beat these?

I moved from a city where a dealer would sell me new take offs that fit my cars. No road hazard but great prices on new tires this way. No longer live in that area so need a new source

Tires are tires. Consult Consumer Reports for different qualities. I like Dunlop but Michelin always seems to come out ahead in CRs reports. Sam's Club workers are Walmart workers so if the best deal is there, buy the tires there and have the tires balanced by someone you trust. Costco workers are better paid. You may want to chance having them mount and balance the tires.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Didn't the Michelin Premier line replace the Primacy line. I'll likely be looking at Costco for my next tiers. IF it doesn't have what I want, then I'll price compare the dealer with NTB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive