Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:16 PM

217 posts, read 381,751 times

Advertisements

I'm an active drag racer.... I compete in Prep and No-prep races here in Texas. It's huge. A typical event nowadays will have True Street, Outlaw True Street, small tire and big tire classes. Plus some index classes and usually a truck/tailgate class and sometimes a stick-shift class. These races can draw huge numbers. I've also been to races where the Street Outlaw guys are competing. They'll bring in more people than a NHRA race sometimes.

The above are not Grudge races, they're full ladder elimination races. The Grudge races are pretty big too... a lot of money passing hands. Not necessarily between the 2 racers, but the people at the starting line. I've seen big money exchange hands. In the below video you can see guys trying to get a bet on my car.... they raise their hand to the lane they want to bet on and hope to find somebody pointing to the other lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgh2maBG4ZI

There is a class for just about everybody and if not, you can always bracket race.

As for the Funny Cars. My home track has a "Funny Car Chaos" race every year. I know they get a good handful of Funny cars for it.... true ladder racing. Here is a link for those interested.

NORTH STAR DRAGWAY - THE ONE..THE ONLY...FUNNY CAR CHAOS!

What you remember about drag racing from when you were young is still happening. Only 2 differences.... the technology has changed resulting in your average street/drag car being a lot faster nowadays and of course the names have changed. Find your local track and check their schedule and go out and watch. Or better yet, take your car, whatever it is, and make a couple of passes down the track for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,204 times
^^^ looked like you really treed that guy...were you fairly evenly matched?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
It's hard to fathom the money in this set up. I think a Proline 481X is around $150k, I bet there is close to $200k into the build of the car...then you need parts, tires, etc for a season of racing. And it seems like every one of these guys has a Toterhome and a stacker trailer. Just crazy money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzSfoRpcVaA&t=6s

Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 PM

217 posts, read 381,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
^^^ looked like you really treed that guy...were you fairly evenly matched?
Yes, I got him at the tree. If I recall, he told me that is a supercharged big block in that old truck. 9 second truck.

This was a 6.50 index race on an 1/8th mile track. Hence, why you hear me dump it right before the finish line. My car is capable of 6.1 1/8ths, so I had some et to scrub.

I believe, even if we left together, I would have had him covered straight up.

Cool truck though. Real sleeper. Taking those old chevy trucks and hopping them up is popular nowadays for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive