Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 PM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
What's a "long distance land lording nightmare"?

How about an old step side pick up from the 50s?

Old 01-04-2019, 10:20 PM

20,657 posts, read 4,428,521 times
1969 Dodge Charger or 1970 Plymouth Road Runner!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
for Colorado use... a Power Wagon (I had a WC ($300) when I lived in CO, but SHOULD have bought a NEW one in 1968 (last yr of production))

https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/

My 1951 GMC truck ($75) was by far the best / most dependable / useful classic I have owned.

50's vintage USA car for a cruiser (Just bought a 53 Chev for $1200)

For road trips / long haul.. 80's Mercedes Diesel (Neighbor just sold one with a Greasel kit for $300)

I Rebuilt a Hemi Cuda ($970) from Denver scrap yard, gas was <$0.50 / gal... I was making $1.50 / hr

Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 PM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Early 60's Lincoln Continental convertible, suicide doors!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Tired of long distance land lording nightmares. Going to sell them and treat myself to a cool old car. There are so many that I hardly know where to begin. So I trotted over here to get some ideas. Here is my list of "wants":
1) 6'4" fits - can be snug as long as I fit.
2) Old enough and simple enough that a decent handyman can do essential maintenance.
3) Rare enough to costs some money, common enough to be "affordable". Currently thinking $5000-$50,000.
4) Why the huge range? Hoping that the car is "cool enough" not to depreciate like a rock.
5) Probably between 1955 and 1975. Power steering and brakes is nice on medium/large cars.
6) Capable of 85mph or better.
7) Not a POS fixer upper, not a show car.
The more I look at well-built Mustang restomods the more impressed I am. I was born in 1967 so feel a bias for the c. 1965-68 models.

The Eleanor knock-offs are in my mind by far the apex predator of the lot, GT500 either on a correct chassis or replica. I believe 1967 was the big year for those. What do you want to bet I'll own one when I'm 70, if they still allow internal combustion then. I watched a creaky old guy unfold himself from a Ferrari 458 at the track last year, so it's a function of "attitude" I figure.

You could get into a nice Eleanor for $50K or less, used of course, with some luck though I've seldom seen them terribly much less, not that I've looked that hard. Some are magnificent coachwork and you can pay a quarter mil for correct numbers and crazy mods without much trouble, brand new, which might take a year to build too. Super Snakes, geez: same, if not more money and crazy HP usually via supercharger. Not your scene, probably.

That-said, I'd take a look at the 289 replicas from that era time, too. These were great cars then and now, quite simple and definitely cool plus understated. The 289 itself, rebuilt, is a solid performer which is why they sold tons of them presumably. Not sure I'd go for anything too crazy under the hood in those, from c. 1965-1968, that sort of defeating the purpose, but it's a free country. Those that look somewhat close to stock, but maybe with cool rims and a few sneaky mods (see below) behind the coachwork are really, really cool in sunny colors. That's what they were about, in a Beach Boys or Beetles kind of era, right?

Nothing wrong with a GT350 resto-mod either, of course, but yet again now we're getting into serious performance and hence more money. Let Google do the walking for ideas. Most are under $50K, though, the 289's waaay under which is the point: save some money for tinkering, yet buy a drive-away that won't cause all that much trouble. How hard can it be, it's all "right there" and the original systems weren't all that complicated. I'd probably want brake upgrades, personally, ditto some cross bracing and serious suspension so it would handle. As for the "Go Baby Go!" part under the hood, that's up to you.

Hits all your marks, btw. They are eye catching for guys over about 50, IMO. Tell me they're not cool, in just about every color I've ever seen from Black Pearl to Ibis White to (what I would do) some sort of vivid blue OR Carmine Red with matte gray accents. (Not that I've thought about it or anything!) Parts and expertise up the yin-yang out there, too, so you'd never really become "stuck" on any mod or repair for long...

PS: while looking at some fine examples online, I spy for sale a black w/gold stripes, 0 mile '65 GT350 restomod "tribute car" with 331 Pro Bullet Short Block from DSS Racing. More than your budget and probably a bit "much", it's beyond gorgeous and a prime example of what might be out there...it's truly badass without being too aggressive. No one would confuse it for a little nancy Nissan Leaf, though.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:59 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Late 60's / early 70's El Camino or Ranchero would tick my boxes. Muscle plus useful. Or, an International Harvester pickup, not sure what year, I'd have to review a guide - Golden age of Americana - but beware of rust.

I heard somewhere that old Model "A"'s have gone down in value because the folks that remember having them as kids are dying off. Who wouldn't want to own Milner's deuce coupe from American Graffiti?

Old 01-05-2019, 03:21 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Definitely any 50’s or 60’s Cadillac if you like true ultimate classic styling with great build quality, big size and horsepower. 60’s Continentals are great cars in all, but they are complex to work on and parts are extremely difficult to come by.

I own a 64 Cadillac Deville and it’s awesome! It’s a real Caddy in every sense with the last of the fins, it has the big block 429 motor that takes off like a rocket ship! Very smooth and cushy to drive as well.

The best riding car and one of the biggest ever I’ve owned is hands down my 78 Lincoln Continental. The front end goes on for miles and is very boss like. A beautiful car as well that just floats down the road in silence and total comfort. Bumps and pot holes aren’t felt hardly at all.

Not really into classic European vehicles but the old 60’s and 70’s Mercedes are really really nice cars.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:26 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
OK I gotta say it.

Chevy Corvette.

'55-'75? Yeah, they'll go at least 85 mph.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Tired of long distance land lording nightmares. Going to sell them and treat myself to a cool old car. There are so many that I hardly know where to begin.
Hoping the tone remains somewhat congenial...
Yep. Who needs a call in the night stating that there is no hot water.

Is this going to be a daily driver or a weekend cruiser? Makes a world of difference.

If a daily driver I'd expand the search to the late 80's or early 90's and get something with an airbag.
All of the Cadillacs and Lincolns of the day. Buicks too.

If just a weekend cruiser or parade car any of those mentioned above work.

The Camaro, Firebird, Mustang (some), and Charger - all hold their value pretty good and easier to sell when you get tired of it OR want a different one - once you meet up with that crowd.

A 1957 Chevrolet will always hold its value. Any of the late 50's Ford retractable hardtop convertibles works fine and hold value.

Then there are companies like Road Kill Customs and Revology that have older cars with modern drivetrains and modern features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive