Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:58 AM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times

Advertisements

My coworkers have expressed very loud opinions about the Ridgeline being called a "truck". They all own Chevy / GMC / Ford trucks.

Their issues with calling it a truck are that it has front-biased AWD rather than a fixed rear axle with leaf springs, and that it's a reinforced unibody rather than body-on-frame. Both of these design choices make the Ridgeline more comfortable, faster, and handle better. And guess what? The towing capacity is actually competitive with other mid-sized trucks if you look at similarly optioned vehicles from competitors.

Frankly so long as someone doesn't need the towing capacity of a full sized truck, I have no idea why a Ridgeline wouldn't be top of their list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 AM

686 posts, read 806,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
My coworkers have expressed very loud opinions about the Ridgeline being called a "truck". They all own Chevy / GMC / Ford trucks.

Their issues with calling it a truck are that it has front-biased AWD rather than a fixed rear axle with leaf springs, and that it's a reinforced unibody rather than body-on-frame. Both of these design choices make the Ridgeline more comfortable, faster, and handle better. And guess what? The towing capacity is actually competitive with other mid-sized trucks if you look at similarly optioned vehicles from competitors.

Frankly so long as someone doesn't need the towing capacity of a full sized truck, I have no idea why a Ridgeline wouldn't be top of their list.
The egos behind the majority of truck owners are hilarious. He who has the biggest truck has the smallest peter! Lol.

The ridgeline tows up to 5k lbs and is plenty for your basic recreational use. TBH, the 5ft bed is actually more useful than my crewmax with the under bed storage and low profile wheel wells.

I’m not sure I’m quite there yet to make the switch as I do love the look and feel of the tundra. I’d also rather sell my tundra private party instead of being low balled and playing the game for hours on end.

Last edited by Familyman6; 01-05-2019 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
For what you do with a truck you would love the Honda Ridgeline. Go for it.

I agree with this 100%.

The Ridgeline seems to be ideal and being a Honda it's not going to fall apart. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Ridgeline if it was what I needed.

20 years from now I can imagine it appearing on lists of vehicles that came before their time or great vehicles that "no one" bought.
The things are just loaded with cool, functional features.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:45 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
I saw a new Ridgeline the other day. I was coming out of Hobby Lobby and walked right past it. I stopped and looked. The front of it reminds me of my new Civic. Should drive ok as a light duty truck. just about all the new trucks I see in my area, Fords and Chevy's, are optioned out and will probably never see anything in the bed that will scratch it.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:52 AM

680 posts, read 535,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
The Ridgeline is fine for it's intended purpose...light duty hauling and towing and it is comfortable. I did not buy one because I needed a little extra towing capacity and toughness. And Hondas aren't known for having durable transmissions under stressful conditions. Thus I bought a Nissan Frontier.
I think Nissan has a worse reputation for transmissions than Honda.....

Old 01-05-2019, 08:58 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
I saw a new Ridgeline the other day. I was coming out of Hobby Lobby and walked right past it. I stopped and looked. The front of it reminds me of my new Civic. Should drive ok as a light duty truck. just about all the new trucks I see in my area, Fords and Chevy's, are optioned out and will probably never see anything in the bed that will scratch it.
The Ridgeline is not true pickup it’s a unibody and a front wheel and 4 wheel drive SUT with a bed, not a body on frame like a real pickup, and it can only tow 5,000 lbs max unlike a real pickup. But hey this is America drive what you want and enjoy it and don’t worry what others think or say.

Last edited by easy62; 01-05-2019 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 09:06 AM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The Ridgeline is not true pickup it’s a unibody not a body on frame so it’s a cuv with a bed.
Sure.

I guess a bed and towing capacity are not what make a pickup truck a truck then, but rather a pickup is any vehicle that has a transverse engine, H frame, rear wheel drive, a solid axle and leaf springs?

Personally I don't give a crap how it gets it done, it does what other trucks (in its class) do but better. Maybe we don't need pickups anymore if "CUVs with beds" do pickup-things better than pickups.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Whoa, the OP said he is looking at a FWD Ridgeline.

FWD = FRONT wheel drive, not AWD.

Is it really front wheel drive? I would steer clear. There is a reason trucks have RWD or 4WD, and it has nothing to do with ego or manhood size.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Sure.

I guess a bed and towing capacity are not what make a pickup truck a truck then, but rather a pickup is any vehicle that has a transverse engine, H frame, rear wheel drive, a solid axle and leaf springs?

Personally I don't give a crap how it gets it done, it does what other trucks (in its class) do but better. Maybe we don't need pickups anymore if "CUVs with beds" do pickup-things better than pickups.
What does the Ridgeline do “better” than a Tacoma, Frontier, or Colorado?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
If you don’t need a giant truck downsize.

If I didn’t need the cargo carry and power of my diesel I would downsize to a Tacoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive