Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:27 PM

6,337 posts, read 4,061,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Has anyone downsize their truck to a ridgeline? I drive a Toyota Tundra crewmax that is lifted a bit.(came that way) I also drive about 20k miles a year for work but get an auto allowance and gas card so mpg isn’t a big deal for me. I love my truck But the more I drive this giant truck around the more I realize how much of a Pia it is to park and drive down narrow roads daily. I dont tow anything and use the bed for your basic weekend warrior type stuff.

I realize that buying this truck was pure emotional buy because I’ve always wanted one but I think I’d be really satisfied with the Honda Ridgeline based on my actual needs for a truck, the overall quality, nice features(Toyota still lacks in this dept) , and ride quality. I test drove a new FWD RTL-T model today and was very impressed.

Has anyone else made this switch and if so why did you do it?
I really don’t think it’s downsizing since it’s basically a truck with a slightly smaller sized bed, IMO.

My next thought on this would be that my two favorite manufacturers for reliability, quality and lower maintainence costs are Honda and Toyota, in that order. Honda resale values are among the highest for standard vehicles and that is another plus in my mind.

Also, I love that the Ridgeline has front wheel drive which is generally better when road conditions are less than excellent. A Ridgline would be my first choice and after that, it would be a 4 wheel drive Tacoma.

When having company vehicles for work, I did have a GMC, Ford and Dodge, so it’s not like I’ve never had one.

Did I mention I love Honda’s & Toyota’s ❗️
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,509,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How good are these agreements you may ask. How about a $50K Super Duty for $22K? That was the federal number a couple years ago.

Government does not buy the $50k version. They buy more toward the base trim. Something we would pay in the 30s for.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,893,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
There are some strong feelings about the term “truck” and what that means. For me and my needs I consider anything with a truck bed to be a truck. Except the el Camino and ranchero. Those were just weird. Lol
Tbh the Ranchero and El Camino were BOF and therefore more truck like than the Ridgeline

Old 01-06-2019, 10:20 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,306,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Tbh the Ranchero and El Camino were BOF and therefore more truck like than the Ridgeline
The Ridgeline looks like the Chevrolet Avalanche except the Avalanche was a body on frame rwd and a 5.3 or a 8.1 Vortec engines.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,169,285 times
We have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline and we love it. We've put over 200,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. We've driven that truck to California from Wyoming and back again several times and it's a comfortable ride for the entire family.

We spend hours and hours driving all over every single year and the Ridgeline is comfortable, it's gotta lots of storage with both the truck bed and the trunk, and it's reliable. We also tow a small Jayco trailer and the Ridgeline tows it just fine for short trips or long.

Our next vehicle will be the second generation Honda Ridgeline, we love this one so much we're going to keep it and buy another one.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 PM

59 posts, read 61,982 times
I downsized my truck to a smaller SUV. Much happier. Parking is a breeze. How often do you need a truck bed?

Old 01-07-2019, 03:38 AM

44,905 posts, read 59,894,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Government does not buy the $50k version. They buy more toward the base trim. Something we would pay in the 30s for.
Depends. They're the base models but enhanced to an extent. The base Super Duty is $36K. Add a few options that governments usually need (snowplow variants as an example) and that price creeps up.

After I posted those numbers I went back and looked at my records for the last one we bought here a couple years ago. It was a specialty version for use for the water and sewer system so has the toolbox bed. List was $47K, delivered price was a hair under $24K, so I was off a bit but the point is the same: fleet buyers get huge discounts from all the manufacturers. Fords happened to be our most recent purchases but they replaced GMC/Chevies.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:11 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,872,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Yes. But all cars (few exceptions) were body on frame back then.

The Ranchero and El Camino were sedans converted to have a bed in back. So the ride was like a sedan - not a truck.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:27 AM

686 posts, read 793,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughesa View Post
I downsized my truck to a smaller SUV. Much happier. Parking is a breeze. How often do you need a truck bed?
Rarely. Trips to the depot for home projects, loading up bikes and lawnmowers in the summer and runs to the trash dump.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:56 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,306,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughesa View Post
Lots of people use a truck bed everyday just because you don’t see them don’t mean they are not useing them especially if they have a TONNEAU cover you don’t know what’s under it. And plenty of people have storage boxes also in their truck beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive