Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 06:36 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Why does Ford insist for its customers to take financing?
I mean that the rebate is tied to taking financing.
That they would take the hit of a no-sale, while trying to force people to buy not with cash but with financing.
They make money off the interest on the loan, when you finance through them. That is, unless you pay it off early. They know most customers just don't have the cash, and are going to need the financing, so very few will likely pay the loan off after just a month or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:49 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Why does Ford insist for its customers to take financing?
I mean that the rebate is tied to taking financing.
That they would take the hit of a no-sale, while trying to force people to buy not with cash but with financing.
The ford website says the rebate is a prepaid debit card, but it does not say whether it can be spent on or cashed out...
If you take the rebate instead of applying it to the deal. Meaning they send you a PP Debit card rather than a check. But you can almost certainly apply it to the deal. I could be wrong, but...

They insist on the financing so they can make money. And the savviest customers will invest their cash lump sum, and the savvy will take the financing and write a check to pay the whole thing off, and others will just let the financing ride.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
FYI: Another term used to describe factory incentive rebates is "Trunk Money" (cash left in the trunk by the factory to get you to buy the car). My last car had a big one, and as mentioned above, it was deducted from the cost, pre-tax.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:47 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
FYI: Another term used to describe factory incentive rebates is "Trunk Money" (cash left in the trunk by the factory to get you to buy the car). My last car had a big one, and as mentioned above, it was deducted from the cost, pre-tax.
Or "Money on the Hood."

Old 01-24-2019, 03:24 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Ford now offers a $3000 cash rebate on 2018 vehicles ($2500 rebate plus $500 vin specific). The dealer says they cannot go below MSRP-$1000, aka $24600. Or if I take financing then MSRP-$4000.
In the first case, it seems that they are thinking that the purpose of factory rebates is to compensate the dealers for the hassle of having to take care of the car for several months on their lot, and not a customer incentive. Another dealer told me they can offer $2500 off on 2018 vehicles, just that they dont have the color/features that i want, or $1500 on 2019 models.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
FIn the first case, it seems that they are thinking that the purpose of factory rebates is to compensate the dealers for the hassle of having to take care of the car for several months on their lot, and not a customer incentive.
Very few incentives are really for consumer benefit. However, you might want to google around on "flooring," as in the rolling loan system dealerships have for their stock. It's not sitting there for free.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:47 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
They called me back, they said the same price is okay without financing. I bought it this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive