Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:55 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times

Advertisements

We have looked at a few cars at Carmax. Have never bought from them before, never heard anything good or bad about them. I have read from Consumer Reports & other sources that the best used cars are usually at dealerships; that they keep the best of their trade ins & sell the rest at auctions, etc.

What has been anyone's experience at Carmax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
Went shopping there once. Cars were egregiously overpriced. Hence, no negotiations.

Avoid like The Clap.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
Same as above. Went there twice. Both times cars were overpriced. Once an Accord with major accident & repair was being sold as a car with no accident. The bondo/paint job was bad.

The no negotiation clause is also a no go for me. Since then, every time I have looked on their site, the cars were more expensive than a similar CPO at the local dealer.

The only thing I might use them for is selling my cars-it might be easier than a private sale if I am in a rush.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Bought a car from them once. Price was slightly higher, but it was worth it. If it hadn’t gotten totaled in an accident I would probably still be driving it.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
They are like any used car dealer and buy low and sell high (in my opinion a little lower and a little higher respectively than most due to their huge marketing machine). Your experience will have more to do with the particular car you buy than anything magical that they do. They have some sort of inspection process, but like any used car buying experience they can't tell the future or know exactly how the car was taken care of beforehand.

I prefer to buy from a private individual myself, because the mark up is ridiculous there. It's a calculated risk either way.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
They offered me $1,000 on the spot for my old car after test driving and inspecting it for about 30 minutes. Dealerships were offering like $400 over the phone, sight unseen. I ultimately sold it for $1,700 private sale.

Not a bad place to sell in my opinion, if you are in a hurry or don't want the hassle of a private sale.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
We have looked at a few cars at Carmax. Have never bought from them before, never heard anything good or bad about them. I have read from Consumer Reports & other sources that the best used cars are usually at dealerships; that they keep the best of their trade ins & sell the rest at auctions, etc.

What has been anyone's experience at Carmax?
Yes and no...I wouldn't get hung up on that. Look at the car, not the folks selling it. There is nothing wrong, on the whole, with the vehicles they sell. The price may or may not be competitive and its up to you to figure that out.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Carmax is the Quicky Mart of car sales. They pay less for used cars they buy, and charge more for cars they sell. (Compared to other used car dealers).
Like the convenience stores, it has some real benefits, but you pay for the convenience.

SELLING: No appraisal fee and no haggling. You can bring your car by and a few minutes later they'll give you a price that's good for a few days and a few miles.
But it will be lower than what you will get from other sellers, and far less than you'd get selling it yourself.

BUYING: Again, no haggling, you'll get a warranty that's better than most used car lots, and a higher-credibility of the condition of the car. The cars they sell aren't necessarily 100% of the cars they buy. They inspect what they sell pretty closely.
But it will cost more than you'll find in some lots, and a LOT more than a car you buy yourself.

But you're saved the cost and hassle of taking it to a car-for-sale condition inspection mechanic's shop, the cost and condition research, weird classifieds respondents, and bad-check risks.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:53 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Used car shoppers pretty much have to buy 'em where they find 'em. Could be private party, could be the used lot at a new car dealership, could be a mom and pop used car lot, could be a retail used car chain like Carmax. Value for the money is usually my first concern so I usually go private party, but if I were looking for something specific and Carmax had it I wouldn't have a problem going there if the price was fair.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
I sold a car to Carmax and got right in between KBB trade-in and private party value. Though I went to sell a second one to them and got a better offer at a traditional dealer. Knowing how much Carmax will give you is a nice bit of negotiating info if you bring it as a trade-in on another car.

Buying from them...eh. I use them for test drives then find a better deal elsewhere. Was shopping for a GTI. Found one at Carmax. Then found one that was CPO at a dealer with fewer miles and all the options for significantly less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive