Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:14 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,320,515 times

Advertisements

This is why GM is downsizing the number of sedans it makes.

General Motors 4thQ report: U.S. crossover sales topped 1 million in 2018
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...illion-in-2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 01:52 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,068,551 times
Definitely a given why they're reducing sedans, but yippee more bloated, boring CUVs :/

Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,678,387 times
I don't think there's anyone who argues the ascendancy of trucky-cars over car-cars. The automotive industry has always been high on fads and whims.

But cutting all such models because they only sell a few million instances a year and imagining that absolutely everyone wants a trucky-car now is going to precipitate absolute disaster in a couple of years, when US makers have absolutely no stylish car-cars to feed that shift of the whims and can't give their trucky-cars away. Holy 1975, Batman...

Old 01-08-2019, 02:02 PM

1,002 posts, read 902,688 times
People aren't buying sedans, but dealers also aren't advertising them and are even pushing people away from them. As an example not long ago I went to a Toyota dealer to sit in the new Prius (out of curiosity) and not only did they claim to not know anything about it, but they were annoyingly persistent about their idea that I really wouldn't like a Prius anyway and would be much happier in a RAV4.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I don't think there's anyone who argues the ascendancy of trucky-cars over car-cars. The automotive industry has always been high on fads and whims.

But cutting all such models because they only sell a few million instances a year and imagining that absolutely everyone wants a trucky-car now is going to precipitate absolute disaster in a couple of years, when US makers have absolutely no stylish car-cars to feed that shift of the whims and can't give their trucky-cars away. Holy 1975, Batman...
They can’t afford to keep a assembly plant open to make a vehicle that’s not selling enough to pay the wages, and taxes, and utilities. If needed they can convert a plant to make a sedan in a short amount of time. Right now they have to many plants and not enough sedans selling to maintain them.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,678,387 times
Most car-cars, especially sedans, have lower margins than upstyled trucky-cars and hybrids and truck-trucks. No surprise you got steered to something that would make the salesman more than $200 for his time.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Most car-cars, especially sedans, have lower margins than upstyled trucky-cars and hybrids and truck-trucks. No surprise you got steered to something that would make the salesman more than $200 for his time.
Just tell that to the millions of others who bought a pickup or suv or cuv they want what they want this is America we’re we can drive what we want and now the American people have spoken by buying SUVs and pickups and CUV’s and the American automakers have responded. They have been around a long time so they know the automotive business better than any of us on here.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
People aren't buying sedans, but dealers also aren't advertising them and are even pushing people away from them. As an example not long ago I went to a Toyota dealer to sit in the new Prius (out of curiosity) and not only did they claim to not know anything about it, but they were annoyingly persistent about their idea that I really wouldn't like a Prius anyway and would be much happier in a RAV4.
They've done that to me as well. Although their cars are great, many Toyota dealers are terrible.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:06 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Just tell that to the millions of others who bought a pickup or suv or cuv they want what they want this is America we’re we can drive what we want and now the American people have spoken by buying SUVs and pickups and CUV’s and the American automakers have responded. They have been around a long time so they know the automotive business better than any of us on here.
We'll see. They weren't exactly geniuses just a decade ago. But I don't care. I have zero inclination to buy anything they sell.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM

6,424 posts, read 9,738,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
We'll see. They weren't exactly geniuses just a decade ago. But I don't care. I have zero inclination to buy anything they sell.
I agree.

The Japanese and Germans will sell all the sedans they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive