Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:02 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,915 times

Advertisements

I moved to a state that requires annual inspections. Previously lived in states that did not. What is the reason for this? Sounds like total BS gov't corruption to me. Why can some states get by fine without it and some have it?

It sounds like maybe lobbyists for auto mechanics or parts manufacturers possibly fund the politicians in states that haven't got rid of annual vehicle inspections yet? I'm sure someone makes a lot of money from the repairs they require you to make to pass inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 02:38 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
It's become somewhat less of an issue with newer cars that routinely go 100k miles with minimal service. Annual inspections for every vehicle are a hangover from the era when cars could easily become unsafe every 10k miles.

Now, most vehicles, especially the great majority of passenger cars less than 10 years old, don't gain much from an inspection. Most states have accommodated this and don't, for example, require an emissions test for two to three years and at biannual intervals after that. Older cars and those in commercial service tend to get annual inspections.

It's just leftover bureaucracy from a suspenders and belt mentality. But I'm sure we won't get five posts before someone claims it's revenue enhancement, which is about like the state having people walk the roadsides for lost change in terms of return.

But trying to change it brings the "oh, so you want to kill lots of people" arguments out of the weeds, which requires actual understanding of statistics and automotive engineering to counter... IOW, fat chance.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:51 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,218,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's just leftover bureaucracy from a suspenders and belt mentality. But I'm sure we won't get five posts before someone claims it's revenue enhancement, which is about like the state having people walk the roadsides for lost change in terms of return.
I can't find it now, but I recall reading that the pass rate of AirCare Colorado was better than 90%. Seems pretty suspect if the vast majority of vehicles don't need the test.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:08 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
From the sounds of it referring to the European style safety inspection like what is in Virginia rather than just an emission inspection?

Presumably there were enough idiots driving around with bald tires and such causing accidents that something was done about it. Maybe just one high profile idiot.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:09 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
My new RAM reports "vehicle health" to me once a month. As in - I receive email from FDC with specs listed.
And that is from a car that is not really fancy on electronics. Yet, apparently, it somehow connects to the internet (I keep mobile WIFI ooff all the time, turn it on very rarely for navigation) and sends quite a bit of data to corporate.
Hence, it should not be a problem for newer cars to submit emissions data to some sort of a center. As all they do at stations now is to plug into OBD port and communicate with computer. Computer might as well send same data to a hub.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:16 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,380 times
Quote:
It's become somewhat less of an issue with newer cars that routinely go 100k miles with minimal service. Annual inspections for every vehicle are a hangover from the era when cars could easily become unsafe every 10k miles.

Now, most vehicles, especially the great majority of passenger cars less than 10 years old, don't gain much from an inspection. Most states have accommodated this and don't, for example, require an emissions test for two to three years and at biannual intervals after that. Older cars and those in commercial service tend to get annual inspections.

But trying to change it brings the "oh, so you want to kill lots of people" arguments out of the weeds, which requires actual understanding of statistics and automotive engineering to counter... IOW, fat chance.
Nailed it.

At least here in NC, the state inspections are pretty cheap (I think $20-30, although my dealer does them for free because we bought a car from them). So, not much revenue. But heaven forbid you remove the requirement and the emotional hysteria you mentioned ensues.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
The reason is money, they make money off of it.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:

But that is what it is. The gov, especially at local levels, loves getting money through fractional means, five cents here, a half penny there, etc. Passing it is easy, saying "our tax increase we want will only add $20 a year to your tax bill" looks nice to most people. However, the gov asks for such small amounts from a variety of sources, and each year requests small increases, where eventually it adds up to a significant amount.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:28 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
remember the "cash for clunkers" program?
those clunkers are why inspections are needed.
and...there still are "clunkers" and polluters on the road,
but the only way to be fair is to inspect every vehicle every year.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:30 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,915 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States

31 states do NOT require ANY safety inspection. This shows that the states that do require it is a total scam. It's not so much the annual fee they charge that's the scam (although it is), its the fact that the mechanic shops conjure up all these things you have to fix to pass. So you are force into paying lots of money to "fix" things. That somehow never were a problem prior to the "safety inspection".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive