Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 AM

739 posts, read 843,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Fusions get very good reliablility scores, and the standard warranty covers the big stuff for 60k, I think the odds you are throwing your money away on an extended warranty are extremely high.
The odds are that there will be little or no problems. Sometimes that odds don't work in one's favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM

739 posts, read 843,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
On a recent Fusion, I'd be expecting a transmission issue with the mileage you have on it, assuming it's a 2013-2015 based upon mileage that was stated in the OP. There have been a couple of TSBs on the transmission, I think, from what a friend mentioned with their Fusion, so $1800 is less than a transmission cost, with $100/deductible. I'd look at that, if you plan to keep the car for the next few years. The situation is not as bad as with the Fiesta/Fusion and their well documented transmission problems, but Ford hasn't had the best longevity with the modern transmissions, which would likely be the highest cost repair that you'd be likely to encounter.

Modern Fusions have average to below average reliability, depending upon the year between 2013-2015. If you had a Malibu or a Regal, I'd be less inclined to purchase the extended service contract, but with a Fusion, or especially a Fusion hybrid, I'd be slightly more inclined to buy it for the longest duration if I planned to keep the car.
I've heard that it's an issue with the Focus but wasn't aware re the Fusion. Thanks for the info. They actually sell a warranty up to 150k miles but I am not willing to shell out 3 grand on a warranty.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:16 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
The odds are that there will be little or no problems. Sometimes that odds don't work in one's favor.
The standard warranty covers everything up to 36k so you are covered against the occassional lemon that has recurring problems or defects in manufacturing in most cases. It's been mentioned in this thread, but the internet has horror stories of folks having big problems using their extended warranties, but the reality is for every one of these stories you have thousands and thousands of owners who never have anything go wrong way past 100k that you never hear about. Extended warranties are one of the biggest profit makers for the auto industry, simply because the odds are hugely in their favor of coming ahead on what is really nothing more than a gamble, with a huge house edge.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I've heard that it's an issue with the Focus but wasn't aware re the Fusion. Thanks for the info. They actually sell a warranty up to 150k miles but I am not willing to shell out 3 grand on a warranty.
With the Fusions, the transmission issues seem to be electrical as opposed to outright mechanical failure, though the hard shifts that people I have known with recent Fusions are disconcerting, even after the transmission reprogramming. It makes one wonder if there is a mechanical failure lurking. As a result of this, a guy who works for me is trading his on another vehicle the moment the warranty expires. I do not think you'd need to go to 150k miles because many of the problems will show up at 80-100k miles or so, and if you get over that metric, the value of trade-in would be diminished anyway, so I doubt you'd get the utility of the 150k for the extra cost. At that point, the utility of the warranty would be diminished and trade-in value significantly lower that it would make sense to pay yourself the extra $1200 for the replacement vehicle as opposed to a service contract on that one.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
What's an electrical issue to worry about on a fusion? Sounds like someone talked your ear off, if you have an issue with a navigation etc, you replace it with one from a wrecked fusion for 1/4 the price of new. Extended Warranties are almost never worth the money, and most companies behind them are hard to squeeze a dollar out of and never cover parts that actually have issues such as the wear and tear parts. Take the $1,800 put it in a savings account, write a post in a year and half and thank us.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 01-28-2019 at 04:34 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,602 times
Assuming you are going to get the insurance, the adjusters are charging you much more for the slightly longer term. That tells you when *they* think the problem is most likely to happen. I also would skip it, though. I want the insurance that kicks in at around 175,000 miles!

Old 01-31-2019, 12:38 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
I knew someone who paid $4000 for a Bumper to Bumper warranty extension on their 2013 Taurus and right after the warranty expired and the car hit 120K, the water pump failed and cost $2000 to replace and then the put brand new tires on the car and the were broadsided 1 month later ad the car was totaled.

So you can buy a warranty and it might be needed or when needed, it has expired.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:50 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I knew someone who paid $4000 for a Bumper to Bumper warranty extension on their 2013 Taurus and right after the warranty expired and the car hit 120K, the water pump failed and cost $2000 to replace and then the put brand new tires on the car and the were broadsided 1 month later ad the car was totaled.

So you can buy a warranty and it might be needed or when needed, it has expired.
I had an extended warranty on a '97 S-10.. The manufacturer's warranty put in one transmission, the extended warranty put in two.

Don't ask.. they used a really crappy alternative transmission that year. But, that was.. $8000 it covered, give or take.

I got the 100k warranty on an '05 Colorado.. it covered a Camshaft Position Solenoid. That was it. Covered about $200.

I got the 100k warranty on an '18 Colorado.. Nothing's gone wrong and I'm still under manufacturer anyway, so.. Time will tell.

My view on it.. I never want to have a vehicle sitting and not running, which I can't afford to fix, that i'm making payments on. So, I'm always going to have a warranty while I'm making payments. people said it is insurance.. Damn skippy it is.

Past that.. It's up to you. You may win, you may lose. These warranty companies are in it to make money, and they charge a rate where they're going to make money. Will they make it from you? Maybe, maybe not. If you don't buy it, and nothing happens.. You'll feel really smart. If you don't buy it and a transmission falls apart at 75k.. Well.. Maybe not.

The odds are the former happens. But..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive