Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would there be a market for mass produced simple basic cars?
yes 48 45.28%
no 58 54.72%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
By simple and basic, I mean none of the bells and whistles of modern cars, no computer systems, advanced emissions systems, modern braking systems, electric window controls, etc etc etc.

just a basic motor that comes in 3 , 4 or 8 cylinders, manual tranny, drive shaft and 4 wheels. a car that anyone with a $50 ratchet set can work on and fix the majority of problems that may come up(no specialized parts). that could be sold for under 2K new.

I have a young cousin in college who did a report on the average cost to build a car factoring in money spent on R&D, labor and materials, the cost of each part. if you strip away all the bells and whistles with todays modern production technology a Functional car or truck could be built for under 1K.
If you want to sacrifice modern features in order to get a $2k car, you already have the option of doing it - buy a 20th-century econobox with low mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:54 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
You can't even get a riding lawnmower for under 1K.

I'd love to see the details of this "report".

Do they come with tires or is that one of those bells and whistles?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:57 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
...and air conditioning. I didn't go to years of school and get a Ph.D. for nothing. I sacrificed my youth in order to get a job that will give me the economic security to have the comforts I want, e.g. air conditioning, while still being able to aggressively save for my future. Oh, and did I mention that I am willing to pay a bit extra to live in a society that regulates smog so that I don't have to cough for an hour every time I go outside in the city?

I cannot imagine how a car with emissions control and air conditioning could possibly be made for under $1k (barring human rights violations like sweatshops, child slaves etc.)

Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
[/color]

I really doubt that figure. I build cars as a hobbyist, and one time I said I could build a bare bones, no frills hot rod for $3K. I gave up that idea and had $20K in it before I was done, and it had NO frills.

As to the original question, there have been some cars that sort of fit the description you outlined, like the YUGO, of years past. It was a flop and was pure junk. Quality and technology cost money, and with todays requirements for air quality and fuel economy, we can't go back to carburetors and distributors, that is horse and buggy technology.

So, no, a cheap car like you describe would not be a success....people like their frills and luxury.

lol actually hugo's were a huge hit, I remember seeing those things everywhere, same with the original Hyundai, and the GEO metro. they were cars that more people could afford. yes they were usually bought for kids going off to college(a cheap car that would be under warranty), or as an affordable second family car. and yes they were the but of "he got cleaned out in the divorce" jokes(like the line in the Kanya West song "gold digger" the went "see him on TV any given Sunday, wins the Superbowl drives off in a Hyundai"), but they were everywhere.

Then you have all the people who can't afford a new car, there are people who hate the idea of spending a grand to put in a 20 dollar part do to poor design, or having to junk their car that still has a good engine because they can't afford to fix computer systems.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:10 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
...and air conditioning. I didn't go to years of school and get a Ph.D. for nothing. I sacrificed my youth in order to get a job that will give me the economic security to have the comforts I want, e.g. air conditioning, while still being able to aggressively save for my future. Oh, and did I mention that I am willing to pay a bit extra to live in a society that regulates smog so that I don't have to cough for an hour every time I go outside in the city?

I cannot imagine how a car with emissions control and air conditioning could possibly be made for under $1k (barring human rights violations like sweatshops, child slaves etc.)

Not saying that you HAVE to get such a car, just asking if there is a market. as often as I hear people complain about how its harder to work on your own car these days, I feel there is a market.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
When will folks accept the truth that most people want bells and whistles AND most people don't want to do their own car repairs.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
I think there would be TOO MUCH demand for such a car...in that it would end up being negative for the higher end, and even 'basic' cars of today.

And before anyone mentions safety...since when has Govt or big industry been concerned with the safety of the general public versus MONEY...They may claim concern for safety is why they have these rules in place relating to how cheap of a car that can be legally sold, but ultimately, I truly believe its due to money.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think there would be TOO MUCH demand for such a car...in that it would end up being negative for the higher end, and even 'basic' cars of today.
Are you delusional? Too much demand for crank window, no A/C, no power steering, no ABS brakes, no cruise control?

Old 01-21-2019, 06:55 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
What's being forgotten is that the current generation of car buyers, the millenials, grew up in vehicles with safety features like ABS and air bags, that's what they know, and most of them won't compromise on the safety issue.

While a lot of us grew up with cars without those features, while having many other things like carburetors, we're quickly aging out.

Would I buy a new bare bones as described car? No. Would I buy a 1960-70 one? Yes.

I for one don't miss manual chokes, or even automatic ones, tiny drum brakes or bias ply tires.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:05 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
" Would I buy a new bare bones as described car? No. Would I buy a 1960-70 one? Yes."

You'd also get an ashtray, cigarette lighter but minus the 6 cup holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive