Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,679,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Did interviewing while using drugs help or hurt this timeline?
"Rutabagas! Rutabagas, I say!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 01:26 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,237,016 times
Aww, the OP is ignoring the fact that actually their cells do have IP.

But I see again it's really about his personality clash with Elon Musk.

This is a common scenario played out with fragile egos that can't accept when someone else has done something significant that they themselves could not do.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Nothing of significance. Musk Brand™ AA's are pretty much just AA's. Certainly not made from pure Jobsium.

I could care less about Musk as an individual and admire his SpaceX efforts (far more than Tesla)... but he's sliding down into the Dean Kamen/James Dyson tier of supergenius world-changing inventor-entrepreneurs from, well, the Jobs/Gates/Ford one.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:42 PM

6,713 posts, read 4,367,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post

But I see again it's really about his personality clash with Elon Musk.

This is a common scenario played out with fragile egos that can't accept when someone else has done something significant that they themselves could not do.

" That’s the Model 3’s cells. The Model S and X use the off the shelf Panasonic 18650 cells. "

Thats most of his problems with using these and similar cells. You range is going to be limited. More range means a larger cell. Not just more of these and running them in parallel for more range. The bad news, Space is going to be limited regardless of what cell you will use. So there will be range limits with Ev vehicles using todays battery technology.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
So there will be range limits with Ev vehicles using todays battery technology.
Right. And there is absolutely no breakthrough of any significance on the horizon, whereas the last few improvements in battery tech were known long before they were optimized for commercial use.

It's Tesla's careful construction of an image as supergenius battery gurus I'm snarking at here. But then, I'm old enough to remember Learium, too.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Right. And there is absolutely no breakthrough of any significance on the horizon, whereas the last few improvements in battery tech were known long before they were optimized for commercial use.

It's Tesla's careful construction of an image as supergenius battery gurus I'm snarking at here. But then, I'm old enough to remember Learium, too.
Doesn't hurt that no one seems to be challenging them on range, either.

If we have any breakthrough battery tech, it will likely cost so much it can only be absorbed into a premium brand and trickled down as the production becomes cheaper: Lamborghini -> Audi -> VW.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Which appears, even within their own product line, to be a factor of battery pack size and little else. I assume any other major maker could equal energy density/range per (pound?) if they chose to. Maybe less a few percent for genius. But the cost of a bigger battery pack is directly proportional to vehicle cost, which is already high for any kind of standard/family/economy level vehicle.

Quote:
If we have any breakthrough battery tech, it will likely cost so much it can only be absorbed into a premium brand and trickled down as the production becomes cheaper: Lamborghini -> Audi -> VW.
More likely, the immense brilliant breakthrough idea that occurred to a technologist in a lab in Pasadena today will need five years to be commercially usable and several years after that to be commercially viable.

The battery tech in use today was around and understood long before it reached consumers. AFAIK, there is no such potential tech yet to be tapped or tamed for market. Electrochemical storage is at a brick wall until that guy in Pasadena finishes his lunch break.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which appears, even within their own product line, to be a factor of battery pack size and little else. I assume any other major maker could equal energy density/range per (pound?) if they chose to. Maybe less a few percent for genius. But the cost of a bigger battery pack is directly proportional to vehicle cost, which is already high for any kind of standard/family/economy level vehicle.

More likely, the immense brilliant breakthrough idea that occurred to a technologist in a lab in Pasadena today will need five years to be commercially usable and several years after that to be commercially viable.

The battery tech in use today was around and understood long before it reached consumers. AFAIK, there is no such potential tech yet to be tapped or tamed for market. Electrochemical storage is at a brick wall until that guy in Pasadena finishes his lunch break.
Sometimes it seems more like he's out on FMLA

Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,864,792 times
Quote:

Tesla’s not challenging anybody else on price. They have the largest range and coincidently have to charge more for it.
Even with redesigned battery cells, the Model 3 doesn’t seem to be profitable at the prices it was advertised at.
What we had 20 years ago were EVs that were too expensive to obtain decent ranges. What we have now is the same situation only the cars look better.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 PM

3,455 posts, read 4,794,977 times
I have question. What are all these people going to argue about after Tesla goes bankrupt and disappears? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive