Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 03:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I'd love to have a Toyota truck with the size of the Gen2 pickups. I had a 1994 4WD Extracab and it was the perfect size. Even the new Tacoma is quite a bit bigger than I really need.
We compare our 1999 Tacoma with the newer ones. They are much larger. We love our little truck: 4x4, extra cab, long box, 120k original miles. You are right; it is the perfect size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Maybe wait a few years and get one of these.
God I hope so!

Hyundai is rumored to have one coming as well.

I need something to replace my 2003 Subaru Baja when the time comes and a Tacoma/Ranger won’t be ideal for me.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-24-2019, 04:53 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The dinky trucks are a bit easier to park, but I really do not park in difficult places all that often. i do not see how something that impacts you once a month or so outweighs benefits that impact you daily or at least weekly.
Because some people do in fact park in tight spots every single day AND have use for a small pick up bed almost as often.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-24-2019, 04:54 PM

628 posts, read 840,291 times
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-small-pickup/
Ford is developing one but because it is based on the Focus it is unlikely to come to the US and does not have as much utility because it is FWD kind of like the Honda Ridgeline but smaller
there is a spy picture on the link but it is heavily camo so you cant see much

Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
I had a Dodge Dakota extra cab. It was just the right size and weight. Why they ever dropped that model is beyond me.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We compare our 1999 Tacoma with the newer ones. They are much larger. We love our little truck: 4x4, extra cab, long box, 120k original miles. You are right; it is the perfect size.
I will second that, Tacoma pickups are great! Perhaps too small if you are an actual full time contractor but for a homeowner with a need for practical use that cannot be fulfilled with an SUV.

Tacoma’s are less expensive to maintain and operate when compared to a full size pickup, their reliability and resale value is way up there. They are great vehicles❗️

Old 01-24-2019, 08:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I will second that, Tacoma pickups are great! Perhaps too small if you are an actual full time contractor but for a homeowner with a need for practical use that cannot be fulfilled with an SUV.

Tacoma’s are less expensive to maintain and operate when compared to a full size pickup, their reliability and resale value is way up there. They are great vehicles❗️
and... It's cheaper, more robust scrappy little brother... (HiLux) ... Rocket launchers / machine guns...

HiLux, insurgent's vehicle of choice

Old 01-24-2019, 08:29 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ranger is planned to be returned.

If you need small truck, come here to SODO area of Seattle. We have used Japan imports dealership with all kinds of small trucks made in Japan. 4WD, trucks, vans, other Japan minded utility vehicles.
Pretty sure the new Ranger is going to be bigger than it was when discontinued? I have a 2001 with a6' bed and love it. Can't believe how many full sized trucks have smaller beds than that.

I liked the size of the early ones (80s-90s) but can't remeber the bed size. Wouldn't want it under 6'. Standard cab - and shift! Is perfect

Old 01-25-2019, 03:02 PM

6,557 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
The dinky trucks are a bit easier to park, but I really do not park in difficult places all that often. i do not see how something that impacts you once a month or so outweighs benefits that impact you daily or at least weekly.
I saw a Tacoma driving today that I have looked at online. I agree, it's size is too big for what I'd want. Rather get a Tundra if looking at Tacoma, but a full size truck is something I won't buy other then for business use only. Yep, not getting a dd truck.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:23 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
I had a small truck. It was pointless. Cramped and uncomfortable inside. Little worthless engine. Limited bed capacity, it could carry about the same payload as you could put in the trunk of a car. . Limited towing. MPG was barely better than a full size. Cost was barely different than full sized. Insurance was higher. the biggest downside for me was the cabin space. It was terrible. Also it was cheap inside compared to the luxury liners they sell as full sized trucks now.
Are you talking about mini trucks like my '92 Toyota or my Chevy LUV or early Ford Courier or Datsun 620? They were far from useless. You could even get the Toyota as a 1 ton chassis (and small RVs were made from them). Mini trucks served a great purpose for those of us that wanted to make dump runs, or were parts haulers in a compact form that got great fuel mileage compared to full sizers and some even had 8 ft beds for hauling bulkier loads. And they were easy to get INTO the beds with loads even from the sides. Businesses LOVED them as parts runners and delivery vehicles.

I'd have another one of these before I'd have another full sizer (unless I decided to swap out my travel trailer for a 5th wheel):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive