Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:52 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times

Advertisements

I would love to have a classic British roadster like an old Jag, MG, or Healey with a reliable electric powertrain. I'm told the original electrical systems were horrible and the motors do not hold up with unleaded gasoline, so that might be a win-win. Adding a torque-vectoring system or Torsen would be useful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I would love to have a classic British roadster like an old Jag, MG, or Healey with a reliable electric powertrain. I'm told the original electrical systems were horrible and the motors do not hold up with unleaded gasoline, so that might be a win-win. Adding a torque-vectoring system or Torsen would be useful too.
Prince Harry has an Electric Jaguar .

Attachment 207266

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
A AMC Pacer would be pretty cool!
Quote:
I would love to have a classic British roadster like an old Jag, MG, or Healey with a reliable electric powertrain. ....
I was thinking a Gremlin, but most likely a Simca (seems to deserve a EV 'sentence')

In the 1970's we did (12) EV's at our company (And had Plug-in parking at every factory site in USA ~ 20)

My favorite was an MGB-GT , and we made a 'tooled' Spun aluminum battery cover that was a showpiece. (under the fastback glass cover) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmnVLU304w It was nice to have CNC machines to do this for you but of course I had to punch a paper tape (ASCII code) to do it....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friden_Flexowriter

We did a Datsun 1600 Roadster and a few mini pickups (Courier and Toyota) + a Cortina

I saw one of the 1970's EV conversion Beetles we did recently at an EV show (still delivering as an EV after 45 yrs)

I stuck with diesel (homebrew)... still delivering 50 mpg 43 yrs later. ~ 70,000 gal of dino fuel saved for others to waste. (compared to my 12 mpg 4x4 pickup it replaced)

Tough to beat a Rabbit!
Mr. Sharkey EV Pusher

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-24-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 08:17 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was thinking a Gremlin, but most likely a Simca (seems to deserve a EV 'sentence')

In the 1970's we did (12) EV's at our company (And had Plug-in parking at every factory site in USA ~ 20)

My favorite was an MGB-GT , and we made a 'tooled' Spun aluminum battery cover that was a showpiece. (under the fastback glass cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmnVLU304w

We did a Datsun 1600 Roadster and a few mini pickups (Courier and Toyota) + a Cortina

I saw one of the 1970's EV conversion Beetles we did recently at an EV show (still delivering as an EV after 45 yrs)

I stuck with diesel (homebrew)... still delivering 50 mpg 43 yrs later. ~ 70,000 gal of dino fuel saved for others to waste. (compared to my 12 mpg 4x4 pickup it replaced)

Tough to beat a Rabbit!
Mr. Sharkey EV Pusher
Cool. Maybe one day I'll have the time to figure out how to convert my own British classic with a modern EV powertrain. I've seen a Honda S2000 with a Tesla motor/Bolt battery pack/Volt charger (talk about a Frankencar), but the S2000's original powertrain seems so perfectly balanced as a high-revving roadster that balanced power, reliability, and fuel economy. I hope the car was a shell or flood-salvaged loss.

https://jalopnik.com/an-electric-swa...emy-1831441635

Old 01-24-2019, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 22,859 times
Quote:
I would love to have a classic British roadster like an old Jag, MG, or Healey with a reliable electric powertrain.

Lotus. Very light weight, so much more return for the weight of the electrics, or fewer batteries needed for the same result as a heavier car.

I have a Lotus Elan Plus 2, the slightly larger, touring-oriented version of the Elan, and I always thought that if, Dog forbid, the engine ever blew up beyond repair, electrification might be a real hoot. A decent-size motor could go where the transmission is and good bank of batteries where the engine is. In original condition the car weighs only about 1700 lbs, and it could probably be electrified without going too far above that.

But then I could also just drop a Ford Zetec in it, which is a known and well-proven modification.

Quote:
I'm told the original electrical systems were horrible
Sometimes, but they're not beyond hope of redemption if you have patience and a little skill. Most any troublesome system (electrical or otherwise) in old British cars has likely seen a lot of neglect but some proper attention can put it right.

Quote:
and the motors do not hold up with unleaded gasoline, so that might be a win-win.
That depends. Most any cylinder head rebuild done after about 1984 will include unleaded-compatible valve seats. The bigger issue for the old carburettors is ethanol, which some seals and floats don't like.

Quote:
Adding a torque-vectoring system or Torsen would be useful too.
Maybe. The aforementioned Lotus Elans have independent rear suspension that does a good job of keeping the power glued, but if you race or are just way too obsessed, limited-slip differentials that fit in the original diff-case are available.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:41 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Has to be a car that hasn't had an electric model yet

For me, it has to be either the NSX 2nd generation, a Subaru WRX, any of the current Challenger models or the Ford GT.

What about you guys? We all would love to hear.
Edsel.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Pretty much any car can be retrofitted to become an electric with only the cost of doing so stopping most.

I think I saw somewhere that Ford was coming out with an electric F150 so that will be neat to watch how it is received.
From some of things Ive been reading, swapping out the gas burner for an all electric motor is fairly simple, mating it to the transmission is the biggest hurdle.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Hop on YouTube and you'll see people doing this exact thing.

I've seen tesla-retrofitted Audis, a Porsche 911, and a fox-body Mustang that have been electrified using Tesla or other EV components.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
None

Old 01-25-2019, 09:33 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
I imagine a full rebuild VW Beetle of the late 60s or early 70s. Replace the engine and fuel tank for batteries. Use available space for full electronic controls. Decide if you want one, two, or all four wheels powered by an electric motor. Install electric powered AC/heat, LED dash and exterior lights (except for headlights). Upgrade the suspension and brakes. With such a project you can make it sports car fast acceleration or just fast enough to keep up with today’s traffic. Install some sound and heat insulation as well as improved seat cushion and materials. Not sure if it’s possible to install a front and side airbag system in such a vehicle for improved safety since they aren’t known for crash safety at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive