Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Personally, I have never been a great fan of most "Supercars." Most of them seem to come with Super Problems such as the F355S; a car I would like to own - if it weren't for the engine removal every few thousand miles to change belts. I suppose though that if you could really afford the car, that wouldn't be much of an issue.

But even if I could afford them (I can't), the practical side of me would say they aren't worth the bother.

Now on the other hand, there is my favorite, the Ford GT (2005) which some say is not too much trouble, and there is the Corvette - troublesome? I couldn't tell you - but it doesn't appeal -aesthetics wise.

Does anyone here have a supercar that does not give you headaches?
They aren't worth the bother, right until they are. There may come a time when you wish to make something like this a hobby. There are tiers before one gets to "supercars," I'd say.

BTW, if an Audi R8 V10 Plus is not a supercar, it pretty much should be. It would leave half of them for dead at any venue, at any time, with AWD too.

The relatively rare times you get to unload them on the roads, they are simply miles beyond what you can imagine. The more exotic ones hug the road, too, with mammoth tires and magnetic suspension and are unimaginably fast, race cars with license plates. Mine, which is not really a supercar, truly wants to go a buck ten and stay there. Seriously. Find the right road, you can, but it's a hellluva gamble in this country. It will just cruise by 90% of other cars like they have loose spark plugs. Those it won't include the American drag cars like Mustangs and Chargers. I respect those cars, too, btw. Some of the nastier Audis, too, like the RS7 sedan from hell. I can give Ferrari 355, 360, and 430 a run for their money. A V-10 Lambo, nuh uh. Now we get to true supercars, and those will walk away from 99% that on the road, Lamborghini Aventador being one such beast car with 740hp or so.

Mine is a 911 C4 GTS, a dandied-up Carrera C4 with every option box ticked from the factory, pretty much, and way more. It sure looks the business, something like the GT3's younger cousin. I'd call a GT3 RS a supercar, actually. I like it, not a supercar but in the hunt with that roaring flat six at 430hp and AWD. Driving it around town is a bit of an adventure, and strangely enough in "Normal" mode it gets 27mpg on the hwy, about 21 around town. They're doing great things with modern cars and lots of gears (seven, in this case, on PDK dual-clutch). That's a boring drive mode, sort of day-to-day when there is no possibility of backroad redemption. I'd prefer to leave it in "Sport", but I usually don't anymore if only due to a major hit to mpg.

All I worry about is the car's mileage at this point, so I've decided to cut way back so it will sell at great money in a couple years. Otherwise it's mostly sunk cost in my garage...that brings a smile to my face every single time it is driven, without question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 04:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
And frankly a Z06 or a ZL1 is a more practical usable and attainable car then ANY foreign exotic AND quite frankly faster then most of them to boot.

This was also true for the Cadillac CTS-V for a few years and yet it never got the accolades it deserved.

The Lincoln Navigator is the best full sized SUV and people buy GLS Mercedes....

Don’t get me wrong I love a lot of foreign cars and even collect them. But in many market segments US cars are clearly on top. Many of the crossovers coming out of European manufacturers are absolute trash with the main offender being VW/Audi/Skoda/Porsche/Bentley/Lamborghini who all are essentially building exactly the same cars and selling it to a ignorant market that only see’s the badge.
Apart from the 911, the mid engine V12 Lamborghini’s and the Mulsanne nothing made by VW has any credibility anymore.
I'm ready for Mercedes to ditch the 10-key number pad from their radios any day now... between voice activated dialing in the cars themselves and Siri/Google Assistant, there is 0 need for that. One thing I've noticed about Mercedes is the more letters in the model name, the cheaper it is.

G > GL > GLC
C > CL > CLA - and what gets me is they have the nerve to dilute AMG by offering a CLA AMG.

Some people just want a fast coupe/convertible with a V8. The larger displacement of the American cars give satisfying exhaust notes and those drivers likely won't appreciate the sound of an F40 at full tilt.

A very large group of buyers purchases a car for the thrill it can bring even a novice driver. They have no desire to understand what a "driver's car" is and that's perfectly okay. Just don't hurt yourself.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:41 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Corvettes overheat when driven hard for extended periods, especially the Z06 and ZR1.

The only supercar I know of that can truly be driven extensively without worry is the Acura NSX.
Tch tch, not quite: I had a Porsche 911 Turbo, 996 series, that in the day was knocking on the glass ceiling of "supercar." That thing was hell on wheels, say what you will about boost, and not a lot of lag either. It would torque up to crazy-fast, well, crazy-fast. I never, not once, had a heat problem with it including some big trips of 500-800 miles in a day. Rear engine car, too, but Zee Germans haf figurt out how to cool zee engines quite efficiently, ja?

Skip forward to M.Y. 2018: The modern 991.2 Turbos, and especially the Turbo S, are an iron fist in a velvet glove. Cars with 500-600hp and about the same torque. You can belt along the Autobahn all afternoon in those mother____s and they'll just hum along. Wring them out, they'll ask for more. Session at Nurburgring, too? Bring it!

Further, the new-ish Audi R8 V10 Plus is a godzilla in Audi pressed-suit clothing. They just don't overheat, PAG thought through the cooling thing very well considering it's mid-engine. A supercar: IMO, yes. I might just get one when the current is paid off and traded in, couples years away. Let's just say it's a finalist.

I haven't driven or owned an NSX. Too bad they flopped, recently. Rob Ferretti on YouTube has a lot to say about "why" they did, in his view.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Tesla sportscar. I have a friend with one, and it just seems to work with minimal maintenance. And....its fast.

The new one thats coming certainly hits the supercar category, and the spacex option package turns it into something even beyond that.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Corvettes overheat when driven hard for extended periods, especially the Z06 and ZR1.

The only supercar I know of that can truly be driven extensively without worry is the Acura NSX.
Well, the Z06 (LS7) has siamese-bored cylinders (no water jackets between) and the ZR1 is forced induction. If you are experiencing a heat issue, thermostat can be changed out, radiator upgraded, fans upgraded...

Old 400 small block and 427 ZL-1 had overheating issues as well. They're still highly desirable.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:06 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Well, the Z06 (LS7) has siamese-bored cylinders (no water jackets between) and the ZR1 is forced induction. If you are experiencing a heat issue, thermostat can be changed out, radiator upgraded, fans upgraded...

Old 400 small block and 427 ZL-1 had overheating issues as well. They're still highly desirable.
All these overheating problems should have been figured out long before the are sold to the public. Friend of mine is dealing a gigantic problem with a 2018 Chevy Van that could leave him stranded in the Yukon and Chevy doesn't care one bit. The problem should have been figured out long before he unwillingly became a beta tester for paying full price. His small duramax diesel can't stay running when it's below zero outside due only to emission control devices. Goes into limp mode with 5 mph max until you find a dealer. It's hundreds of miles between towns, it's also -30 out, yeah good luck. He learned today that the van can only handle down to -5. Chevy hasn't responded to any email, call, etc...he's made. Oh, he lives in the van as he's a professional photographer. Put on 100k miles last year in his Chevy diesel 3/4 ton truck. Switched to a 4x4 van for sleeping purposes.

Last edited by wamer27; 01-25-2019 at 05:14 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 05:37 PM

603 posts, read 442,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Did you cross shop a Bentley CGT? The brand new ones interior at night, wow!
It’s a Volkswagen ...

Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Some people just want a fast coupe/convertible with a V8.
As a daily driver ....
That’s me !

All I want is a big coupe or convertible that’s fast and comfortable !

I also collect cars but not Supercars although some of my old cars were considered Supercars in their day. I collect based on beauty in my eye ... and I’ve got everything from a 300SL roadster ( and yes I know it’s worth big money now but it wasn’t when I bought it) to a 1978 Lincoln Mark V and everything in between. Most expensive car I’ve ever bought was very recently in fact this year and it was American muscle

Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
As a daily driver ....
That’s me !

All I want is a big coupe or convertible that’s fast and comfortable !

I also collect cars but not Supercars although some of my old cars were considered Supercars in their day. I collect based on beauty in my eye ... and I’ve got everything from a 300SL roadster ( and yes I know it’s worth big money now but it wasn’t when I bought it) to a 1978 Lincoln Mark V and everything in between. Most expensive car I’ve ever bought was very recently in fact this year and it was American muscle
Sometimes we can be convinced to like what others believe is valuable, but when we select despite something being unpopular, it is more of a reflection of our true tastes than comparing ourselves to others.

I have had more than one friend purchase a Hellcat in the past year. Two of them got theirs keyed (both were Challengers) within a month of purchase. When you drive something that ostentatious, you no longer drive a Point A -> Point B car. It's a Point A -> Point A car. Doesn't even have to be a Lambo to get that kind of negative attention.

You can't go in stores, most you can do is cruise through the Starbucks drive-thru, and order a venti quad shot Pike Place and go on about your cruise.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Sometimes we can be convinced to like what others believe is valuable, but when we select despite something being unpopular, it is more of a reflection of our true tastes than comparing ourselves to others.

I have had more than one friend purchase a Hellcat in the past year. Two of them got theirs keyed (both were Challengers) within a month of purchase. When you drive something that ostentatious, you no longer drive a Point A -> Point B car. It's a Point A -> Point A car. Doesn't even have to be a Lambo to get that kind of negative attention.

You can't go in stores, most you can do is cruise through the Starbucks drive-thru, and order a venti quad shot Pike Place and go on about your cruise.
That’s really interesting I’ve never had a car keyed or anything negative attention UNTIL Trump came to office and then all the protesters hanging around town used to hurl abuse at the residents who were trying to access the island through the Southern blvd bridge. Last year a female protester actually spat on me as I drove past in a 95 Corniche with the top down ( lovely old beast ) this happened right in front of PB police who promptly arrested them and I actually decided to press full charges and followed the whole thing through as a matter of principle.
I’ve never had a car keyed or anything really negative other then that but I don’t tend to park in areas that would be remotely questionable.

I just collect what I like ... I don’t care what other people like. Mostly certain US muscle cars like early C3 vette’s, Chevelle’s, Rivieras etc Old Mercedes particularly W108/111/112 and 70’s Broughamness like the MkV and a few other Lincoln’s and Cadillacs and of course a few special English cars. They are all my babies and I get great pleasure out of them. And that’s more important to me then what anyone else thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive