Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 04:51 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Call me when they got 610hp like my Vette does. Anything under 450hp don't cut it for me.
Nobody called you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 05:00 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In the interior of Alaska it's hard to beat the Sienna SE AWD. It handless quite well on ice and snow. Some of the local automobile dealers use Sienna minivans as shuttles for their service customers. I imagine that minivan buyers are interested on the amount of sitting room inside the van.
I wonder if they make a suspension lift for the Sienna. If it had 8" of ground clearance I'd buy one.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:01 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Call me when they got 610hp like my Vette does. Anything under 450hp don't cut it for me.
Call me bored with your posts..

Old 01-27-2019, 05:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I am impressed at how my wife's 2018 Odyssey takes off so smoothly at highway speeds.
You don't expect it.
Nicely mated engine and transmission.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Which is why I don't drive some 350HP sports sedan thingy that's just as wimpy as the Ody but pretends to be so badazz.

I drive the Ody because it's a hell of a daily driver. When I need more, I pull out the 520HP, 4.1 lb/hp smoker painted exactly the same color. People just can't tell the difference.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In the interior of Alaska it's hard to beat the Sienna SE AWD. It handless quite well on ice and snow. Some of the local automobile dealers use Sienna minivans as shuttles for their service customers. I imagine that minivan buyers are interested on the amount of sitting room inside the van.
Sure, for a people hauler. They're just awful sports cars because they're not sports cars. There's no market for a sports car that handles as poorly as a minivan does and is significantly slower than a Miata. There's a huge market for people haulers that are slower than a Miata and handle as poorly as a Minivan does. That's just about every affordable crossover with a usable third row, and they sell a lot of crossovers with usable third rows.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sure, for a people hauler. They're just awful sports cars because they're not sports cars. There's no market for a sports car that handles as poorly as a minivan does and is significantly slower than a Miata. There's a huge market for people haulers that are slower than a Miata and handle as poorly as a Minivan does. That's just about every affordable crossover with a usable third row, and they sell a lot of crossovers with usable third rows.
You've never driven one, have you? An Odyssey?

I am not an ignorant driver and I both own some hot stuff and have driven hotter. I wouldn't street-race in the Ody, but I've never had a single complaint with its ride, handling or (OD-off) acceleration, even when driving on rough streets or pushing it hard for a driver.

Yes, most crossovers drive like trucks. Many minvans drive like a box on wheels. The Odyssey is different.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:33 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You've never driven one, have you? An Odyssey?

I am not an ignorant driver and I both own some hot stuff and have driven hotter. I wouldn't street-race in the Ody, but I've never had a single complaint with its ride, handling or (OD-off) acceleration, even when driving on rough streets or pushing it hard for a driver.

Yes, most crossovers drive like trucks. Many minvans drive like a box on wheels. The Odyssey is different.
Not the most recent one, no.

That's because most people are sane enough not to judge the Ody against a sports car. It's fine if you can't tell the difference between driving it and an S2000. Having driven both, well, yeah. We'll have to disagree that the Ody drives like a sports car. The Ody drives like the Pilot. The CX9, which I have not driven, may be better. It's not a sports car either. Actually, you're the lucky one. I miss the S2000 almost enough to pay $15k for a 15-year-old one with 130k on it. You get to save $10,000+ on an Ody and have just as much fun driving it as you would an S2000 plus it's actually practical.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:02 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I understand your points, but minivans such as Sienna and Honda counterparts (plus large SUVs) are preferred by consumers with large families. I don't think that people haulers are designed with sports-handling features.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-27-2019 at 07:13 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 07:32 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Minivans are used to haul people and cargo - moving 7 or 8 adults can be quite a bit of weight along with some cargo in the back. Or people use minivans to furniture, Home Depot trips, and even stuff on the roof.

So the extra power can help with all this. Even worse, Americans these days are getting bigger and heavier so moving 8 of them is quite a bit of weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive