Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:25 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,805,568 times

Advertisements

I think the big thing going on now in California is shutting down intersections, the highway, or parking lots and doing donuts. They are on a few youtube channels, its crazy sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 06:29 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
Ubers do not race.
none so far, anyway.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:46 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I loved the muscle cars of the 60’s and ‘70’s. Cars these days are not the same as the “good old days”. My old neighbors had a 1970 Chevy Chevelle 454 and the other had a 1969 Camaro Z28.
I recall the rumble those cars made as they rolled down the street. Back then, loud &
modified exhausts were much more permissible. Miss that culture.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:27 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
My locale is the typical Heartland blue-collar region, with lots of open land, plenty of empty pavement, and what one might have thought was a local workforce quite adept at traditional wrenching. But appearances are beguiling. Racing, whether at the local drag-strip or in less aboveboard circumstances, does not enjoy strong cultural significance. At the risk of sounding crass and condescending, I'd opine that most of whom would be the traditional suspects, are either too short of funds, or too busy with family and career.

While I don't condone illegal street-racing, it would have brought more joy to life, to have opportunity to be around more fast cars, and more people with the competence and wherewithal to work on them. But such is - at least locally - not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
...Often the Miata is given like 150 yards in lengths too because numpty with the big and expensive machinery doesn't know the rules, and didn't ask what was under the hood, and doesn't know jack about betting their car....
As a Miata owner/amateur mechanic, I'd be surprised by this. The typical NA Miata (1990-1997) with a 5.7 liter LS1 swap and T-56 transmission runs somewhere in the high 12s, or low 13s... which is to say, not quite 1 second faster than the 4th-generation GM F-body, from which the drivetrain is sourced... despite weighing 1000 pounds less. There are of course extremely impressive examples, as a quick you-tube search of V8/turbo Miatas reveals. But it's a rarity.

Also, 150 yards is more than a third of the entire quarter-mile race. A simple calculation with a Excel spreadsheet reveals that a 150-yard handicap is an enormous difference in power to weight ratio.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:43 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As a Miata owner/amateur mechanic, I'd be surprised by this. The typical NA Miata (1990-1997) with a 5.7 liter LS1 swap and T-56 transmission runs somewhere in the high 12s, or low 13s... which is to say, not quite 1 second faster than the 4th-generation GM F-body, from which the drivetrain is sourced... despite weighing 1000 pounds less. There are of course extremely impressive examples, as a quick you-tube search of V8/turbo Miatas reveals. But it's a rarity.

Also, 150 yards is more than a third of the entire quarter-mile race. A simple calculation with a Excel spreadsheet reveals that a 150-yard handicap is an enormous difference in power to weight ratio.
It's a 150 yard handicap against the idiot in the Hellcat.

The one I saw was a dual twin scroll turbo on a DOHC 2.8L Nissan RB engine pushing 700hp before NOS (and it had NOS), the flying Miata is 380hp with a heavier engine, and likely tranny, with only 380hp roughly half the power. And don't get on to "torque wins races" yeah, wheel torque, not crank torque, that's why we have gearboxes.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The one I saw was a dual twin scroll turbo on a DOHC 2.8L Nissan RB engine pushing 700hp before NOS (and it had NOS), the flying Miata is 380hp with a heavier engine, and likely tranny, with only 380hp roughly half the power. And don't get on to "torque wins races" yeah, wheel torque, not crank torque, that's why we have gearboxes.
The forced-induction engines can run some breathtaking (pun intended) numbers. However, there's a weight penalty. The RB engines are around 500 lb bare, plus the weight of turbo plumbing. The LS1 is at around 430 pounds.

The T56 transmission (commonly paired with LS engine) is however quite heavy. An aftermarket-fortified version of the T5 is often the better choice.

Never mind the numbers - it's pretty shocking to be having this discussion on City-Data, as opposed to Miata.net, or Hybridz.org!

Old 02-04-2019, 09:36 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,628,378 times
150 yards.... that's one hell of a spot.

One of the best spots I ever saw and I think was the last street race I attended, was roughly 18 years ago. It was on Outer Drive and McNicols in Detroit. One of the known dealers had a Grand National with a Duetwheller 4.3 , supposedly the car ran low 9's. Looked bone stock, maybe slightly lower and it looked like a 10" slick , don't think it was mini tubbed or anything. He was racing an 69 Chevelle BBC with a bunch of spray. The GN gave the Chevelle 10 cars and the leave. When it went down, my jaw almost hit the ground. When the Chevelle left, the GN launched and I swear the right rear bumper was almost dragging the pavement. By the time he hit second gear he had caught up to the Chevelle, then it was all over from there. I'm guess the Chevelle might have dipped into the 10's but he got suckered on that race, for sure.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:13 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Had some moron try me today in a 4 banger junker. Let him have the first 500 ft and then i rolled into it and once i passed 90 he was left in the dust.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:12 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,718,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think the younger generations have much interest in cars. Their interests are in computers and video games. A lot of kids think they should live well without ever doing any work and maintaining a car is hard greasy work.

The newer cars are difficult to work on, requiring expensive tools.
Racing games and racing sims especially

Old 02-05-2019, 05:55 PM

24,394 posts, read 23,048,028 times
And too many wannabe racers that don't have two brain cells to rub together. Philly had a problem with them a few years back and people were getting killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive